LB
5 (13.9%)
SF
9 (25%)
IND
5 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Zapatista

The people of the 26 Counties will go to the polls on 5th June for the local & European elections.

Any opinions?

Gnevin

What do Local Councillors do? I haven't seen mine in years.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Zapatista

Quote from: Gnevin on April 15, 2009, 08:47:13 AM
What do Local Councillors do? I haven't seen mine in years.

They probably have websites that will tell you. I'd say they will be round to see you within the next few weeks and you should ask them what they have been doing I know I will be.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

magpie seanie

I never vote along party lines for the local elections. I will vote for them baseds on what I think of them as people. Obviously thier support for the leaderships of their respective parties will influence my decision. I think the order of my 1-2 will change but both will still probably be elected.

As for Europe - FF will be getting nothing anyway.

Tubberman

There is no way that SF will get anything near 40% or that FF will get double the FG vote.
So why are the results of this poll so out of touch?

1. The GAA voters are completely at odds with the rest of the country, which I find hard to believe since the GAA is one of the largest organisations in the country
2. The Nordies are voting on this poll in the hope that people will be influenced by the results of this poll - hardly likely to work.
3. Nobody has any interest in voting on this poll (apart from a few diehards) as they are disillusioned with Irish politics

I'll go with number 3....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Gnevin

Quote from: Tubberman on April 15, 2009, 02:15:39 PM
There is no way that SF will get anything near 40% or that FF will get double the FG vote.

1. The GAA voters are completely at odds with the rest of the country, which I find hard to believe since the GAA is one of the largest organisations in the country
2. The Nordies are voting on this poll in the hope that people will be influenced by the results of this poll - hardly likely to work.
3. Nobody has any interest in voting on this poll (apart from a few diehards) as they are disillusioned with Irish politics

It's a combination of 2 and 3 . The Nordies are voting for SF and the local elections are meaningless . Plus it's a bit to early to call as people haven't seen the candidates yet .

Who the hell is voting for FF?

Zapatista

1. Only 13 have voted.
2. So what. The poll is a meaningless addition.

The GAA is full of FF in the south and SF in the north. I'd say it's a good representation of the electorlate.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Gnevin on April 15, 2009, 02:23:30 PM

It's a combination of 2 and 3 . The Nordies are voting for SF and the local elections are meaningless . Plus it's a bit to early to call as people haven't seen the candidates yet .

So can you say that all Westies are card carrying FG voters or is your tar brush only directed in one direction?
Tbc....

Tubberman

QuoteSo can you say that all Westies are card carrying FG voters or is your tar brush only directed in one direction?

Well I'm not certain of the average SF vote in the republic but I'd imagine it's roughly 8-10%.
Seeing as they currently have 33% of the vote in this poll, I was looking for a reason why that would be. The SF vote is significantly higher in the 6 counties so that's one possible source of the votes on this poll.
Anyway, it was only an option I put down out of boredom at work, no need to get excited  ;)

And yes, I would vote FG in the next election by the way  :D ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tubberman on April 15, 2009, 03:50:01 PM
QuoteSo can you say that all Westies are card carrying FG voters or is your tar brush only directed in one direction?

Well I'm not certain of the average SF vote in the republic but I'd imagine it's roughly 8-10%.
Seeing as they currently have 33% of the vote in this poll, I was looking for a reason why that would be. The SF vote is significantly higher in the 6 counties so that's one possible source of the votes on this poll.
Anyway, it was only an option I put down out of boredom at work, no need to get excited  ;)

And yes, I would vote FG in the next election by the way  :D ;)

Tubberman I know your FG.  ;)
Think SF are a bit stronger at council level then 10 %?

I was directing my comments at Gnevin.
Tbc....

Gnevin

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 15, 2009, 03:15:37 PM

So can you say that all Westies are card carrying FG voters or is your tar brush only directed in one direction?
The last general election poll showed SF at 40% or something mad. Some of the Nordies are voting for SF. Better?

Gnevin

Are Libertas still fielding candidates?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Gnevin on April 15, 2009, 04:14:53 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 15, 2009, 03:15:37 PM

The last general election poll showed SF at 40% or something mad. Some of the Nordies are voting for SF. Better?

Yes.

Quote from: Gnevin on April 15, 2009, 04:17:15 PM
Are Libertas still fielding candidates?

Afaik they are, but given the current economic climate I can't see them doing so well.
Tbc....

Zapatista

Quote from: Gnevin on April 15, 2009, 04:14:53 PM

Lots of votes for the two Republican Partys. Maybe it's time for a border poll ;) The united Ireland Party are showing well too :D

Ganley is running.