Brian Kerr - new Faroe Islands manager

Started by BennyHarp, April 06, 2009, 05:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainboii

The game against Portugal in Lansdowne in that campaign sticks out in my mind. Keane was Ireland that day, scored our goal, cleared balls off his own line, nullified Figo. That was one of the best individual displays I've ever seen a footballer give, we'd have been bate out the gate but for him.

muppet

Quote from: AFS on September 10, 2009, 01:52:09 PM
The game against Portugal in Lansdowne in that campaign sticks out in my mind. Keane was Ireland that day, scored our goal, cleared balls off his own line, nullified Figo. That was one of the best individual displays I've ever seen a footballer give, we'd have been bate out the gate but for him.

Not to mention against Holland, but the definitive performance was against what we used to consider a minnow. Cyprus away 0-4 ( 2 goals Keane, Roy). Probably his best ever performance in a green jersey.

I have the DVD of that campaign and it should be viewed by all the 'turned his back when his country needed him'.

I didn't mean to sound critical of McCarthy. It is simply that I believe we would not have qualified without Keane.
MWWSI 2017

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2009, 03:02:52 PM

Not to mention against Holland, but the definitive performance was against what we used to consider a minnow. Cyprus away 0-4 ( 2 goals Keane, Roy). Probably his best ever performance in a green jersey.

I have the DVD of that campaign and it should be viewed by all the 'turned his back when his country needed him'.

I didn't mean to sound critical of McCarthy. It is simply that I believe we would not have qualified without Keane.

Did he make the saves and keep clean sheets as well?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

muppet

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 10, 2009, 03:05:17 PM

I knew you'd jump in. You can't help it can you?

When you take back the golf club do you imagine Roy's face on the golf ball?
MWWSI 2017

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2009, 03:13:06 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 10, 2009, 03:05:17 PM

I knew you'd jump in. You can't help it can you?

When you take back the golf club do you imagine Roy's face on the golf ball?
:D I love it!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Galwaybhoy

I also considered Keanes performances as hugely important to Irelands qualification but I thought you were just a bit critical of McCarthy.  Yes Keane was immense but I thought the team as a whole and manager performed brilliantly in that campaign and the campaign before that when we were just seconds away from automatic qualification for Euro 2000.  The corner conceded match against Macedonia remains my worst moment as an Irish fan.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on September 10, 2009, 03:23:21 PM

I also considered Keanes performances as hugely important to Irelands qualification but I thought you were just a bit critical of McCarthy.  Yes Keane was immense but I thought the team as a whole and manager performed brilliantly in that campaign and the campaign before that when we were just seconds away from automatic qualification for Euro 2000.  The corner conceded match against Macedonia remains my worst moment as an Irish fan.

Really?
Penos in WC 02 against Spain was my worst...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

muppet

I'm not forgetting the others in that qualifier. For example if Shay Given wasn't playing against Iran our goose would also have been cooked. He made a couple of saves in those games that were incredible.
MWWSI 2017

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 10, 2009, 03:24:39 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on September 10, 2009, 03:23:21 PM

Really?
Penos in WC 02 against Spain was my worst...

Yes.  The penos against Spain would probably rank just below at number 2, that was hard as well, but I was so sure we were going to qualify top of a group that included a Croatia team that came third in the World Cup in 98 and a top class Yugoslavia team, we were told we had no hope of qualifying from this group after the shambles that was the qualifiers for the 98 World Cup.  We had surprised everyone and were on or way to Belgium and Holland for Euro 200 when in the very last seconds of the match they equalised.  We then finished 2nd and went and lost in the playoffs to Turkey.

Doogie Browser

Did anyone catch the show last night 'Away with the Faroes'?  Interesting show, I think it presented Kerr as a very lonely man, definitely holding some bitterness, so the Faroes with its isolation is sort of a perfect match for him.  Was great to see his reactions when they defeatced Lithuania.  Nice to see him give the 4th official some abuse too in the France game!  if the Faroes can hold them to 1-0 then we have to have a chance!!!

Declan

Quoteif the Faroes can hold them to 1-0 then we have to have a chance!!!

We matched their home performance so lets hope we don't do the same in France where they were beaten 5 nil!!

Gabriel_Hurl

I know the game isn't over yet - but a timely bump  :D

GAA_Punter

This will be some result for Brain Kerr if they can hold out for the last twenty minutes

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

The Worker

1-1