Brian Kerr - new Faroe Islands manager

Started by BennyHarp, April 06, 2009, 05:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 09, 2009, 10:04:09 PM
Fair play to Brian Kerr - good win 2-1 over Lithuania!!

First win in this competition in 8 years. Great result,

Galwaybhoy

In fairness he has done some job over them.  Maybe hes style of defensive football suited them better than it suited us.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on September 09, 2009, 11:55:26 PM
In fairness he has done some job over them. Maybe hes style of defensive football suited them better than it suited us.

:D Is this because we are now playing Gung Ho under the Trap??  Kerr was sacked way too early IMO, he wasn't the so called big name the FAI wanted.  He should have been given the extra time that Staunton's reign lasted.

INDIANA

In fairness they probably pass the ball more than we do. Which wouldn't be hard.

nutsy--1

Excellent result its just a pity nobody gives a sh*te about them

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: JohnDenver on September 10, 2009, 08:57:52 AM
In fairness he has done some job over them. Maybe hes style of defensive football suited them better than it suited us.

:D Is this because we are now playing Gung Ho under the Trap??  Kerr was sacked way too early IMO, he wasn't the so called big name the FAI wanted.  He should have been given the extra time that Staunton's reign lasted.

We took leads against Israel (1-0 away, 2-0 at home) and Switzerland and still ended up with draws because Kerr thought it would be a great idea to defend those slender leads.  We are not the Italians (who are the masters of defending leads) and even then they screw it up sometimes.  Yes I don't like the style we play under Trap either but he is doing a better job than Kerr imo.

mountainboii

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on September 10, 2009, 10:12:51 AM

We took leads against Israel (1-0 away, 2-0 at home) and Switzerland and still ended up with draws because Kerr thought it would be a great idea to defend those slender leads.  We are not the Italians (who are the masters of defending leads) and even then they screw it up sometimes.  Yes I don't like the style we play under Trap either but he is doing a better job than Kerr imo.

A bit like the games against Bulgaria this campaign then?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: AFS on September 10, 2009, 10:20:34 AM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on September 10, 2009, 10:12:51 AM

A bit like the games against Bulgaria this campaign then?

As I said I dont like Traps style either, didn't see the second game against Bulgaria so I cant say, but yes in the game at Croke Park though not as deep as Kerrs teams would.

mountainboii

I also thought Kerr was shafted a bit early. He got a unlucky more than anything, the last minute goal against Israel was a sickener. We also played France off the pitch in Paris and should've beat them but for a couple of misfiring strikers. Although it was defensive at times, some of the football under Kerr was the best Ireland played in the last decade.

Galwaybhoy

I cant agree.  The best football we played was for the qualifiers for Euro 2000 and the qualifiers for the World Cup in 2002.  Its been very much down hill since September 2002 and the start of the qualifiers for Euro 2004.

mountainboii

The first half an hour at home against Israel was the most dangerous I've ever seen an Ireland team, looked like they were gonna hit 6 or 7 against a very handy Israeli team, wheels came off after that. The were fantastic in Paris, best performance in a competitive match since a couple of Roy Keane inspired qualifiers against Portugal and Holland around the turn of the decade.

Dinny Breen

I always thought Kerr was harshly treated, Trapp seems to be that bit luckier plus no players had no respect for Kerr and his 'modern' ideas..
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on September 10, 2009, 10:43:48 AM
I cant agree.  The best football we played was for the qualifiers for Euro 2000 and the qualifiers for the World Cup in 2002.  Its been very much down hill since September 2002 and the start of the qualifiers for Euro 2004.

That was a complete one man show which the then manager can't be overly credited for and subsequent managers can't be blamed for not having him.
MWWSI 2017

Doogie Browser

Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2009, 01:06:24 PM

That was a complete one man show which the then manager can't be overly credited for and subsequent managers can't be blamed for not having him.
Its good to see Jason McAteer get the credit finally.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2009, 01:06:24 PM

Not true at all.  I'm a Keane fan myself but Given was brilliant for us as was Duff, Staunton, Ian Harte (yes I know he had a bad world cup) and Holland among others.  Also I don't think its fair on McCarthy to say that he doesn't deserve credit as IMO he done a great job during his time in charge of the Irish team.  Roy Keane of course also deserves a lot of credit but it certainly was not a one man show.