GAA TV

Started by 5 Sams, April 03, 2009, 04:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

I see there's talk about a dedicated tv channel devoted to GAA matters ala MUTV or the likes......

I think its a great idea...wall to wall Laochra Gael, All Ireland Gold, srl, srl.

Any thoughts?
The Aristocrat Years

corn02

Have kept an eye on this. I think I started a thread on this last year, I certainly think it is feasible as long as people are prepared to accept it will not be Sky Sports one but more like LFC.TV with more repeats.

I certainly think it is something that should seriously be considered.

Wth advertising I would expect that it would be a money-maker rather than an outlay.

If a football club like Liverpool can have a tv there is no reason why an association growing as wuickly as ours cannot either.

It could easily be filled with programmes. Run it from 12-8 every day or something. Fill it will classic matches, throw in a chat show once or twice a week and a highlights programme and we're flying. A few live matches would probably be possible if the GAA is the driving force rather than Setanta. Obviously as they own the rights they could turn these games into exclusives.

It would be a hard thing to develop but, in my opinion, it could be done.

We always yap that UTV and BBC don't show enough, well this would be a chance to foget about them and have a deciated station.

I can see nothing but positives from a move like this and I expect over the next five years we will see something developing.

ziggysego

The GAA have said that although they're looking into at the moment, it's way down their of priorities.
Testing Accessibility

5 Sams

My suggestion would be that the GAA, if they are serious about a project like this, should hand it over lock, stock and barrel to TG4 and let them at it.
The Aristocrat Years

Bogball XV

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 03, 2009, 04:11:58 PM
My suggestion would be that the GAA, if they are serious about a project like this, should hand it over lock, stock and barrel to TG4 and let them at it.
no, definitely not - i've said this before but tg4 for all their sterling work never give the impression that there's an atmosphere at grounds - no matter how many are at a game they seem to have no microphones in the crowd etc - also, in terms of appeal watching a game in irish does nothing for most of us.

The gaa should easily be able to run its own channel, they could take more account of club games and have proper highlights and pre-match shows.

corn02

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 03, 2009, 04:11:58 PM

Hmmm, TG4 are incredibly under rated and they do a great job, but if you do this you're bring a lot of other factors in e.g rights.

I would imagine all ireland gold etc is in the GAA archive so they would have no problem showing it.

Would TG4 have the capacity to extend to another terrestial channel.

I would like to see the associaion make an effort at it. Develop, launch online for 6 months and see what happens.

Zulu

I think this is a great idea and well worth persuing as a priority goal of the GAA, having repeats of old matches, old Sunday games etc. would bring in the punters for little or no expense. Add in a few talk show type programs and you'd have a decent enough channel without a massive outlay. It's certainly worth looking in to.

ccosgrave

I'd be absolutely delighted if such a station were to be introduced, but I'm not sure how much of a moneymaker it would be. However, would such a station detract from RTÉ's current GAA programming? If people are getting proper coverage of all the Championship, Club and League matches as they would on such a channel, I doubt anyone would want to watch something like Sunday Sport where the overall coverage is much poorer. RTÉ might then have a bit of a problem with it.

HokeyPokey

Or what about a possible Rté GAA oror Rté Sport... dedicated channel...

ziggysego

Oh good God no. I've very little confidence in RTE when it comes to the GAA.
Testing Accessibility

full back

Great idea, but I think it is very important its not broadcast in Irish

ziggysego

Quote from: full back on April 08, 2009, 02:04:53 PM

In the digital world, there's no reason it can't be broadcasted in the two language. During the BBC's Six Nation coverage, they have BBC Radio Ulster, Scotland and Wales as additional commentary through the red button. Same could be done here.
Testing Accessibility

corn02

Quote from: ziggysego on April 08, 2009, 01:58:39 PM
Oh good God no. I've very little confidence in RTE when it comes to the GAA.

Pat Kenny could present it.

Rossfan

Quote from: full back on April 08, 2009, 02:04:53 PM

Was it for this Lord Edward died ......  :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM