Exprimental Football Rules

Started by The GAA, April 03, 2009, 12:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should this year's experimental rules be retained for the championship and eventually club football?

Yes
35 (33.7%)
No
66 (63.5%)
Abstain
3 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 104

corn02

Does anyon have a list of yes/no counties.

Limerick and Down are in yes camp?

DuffleKing

cork and dublin also yes. other probable yes votes include all living presidents and central council members.

corn02

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 17, 2009, 03:42:41 PM

cork and dublin also yes. other probable yes votes include all living presidents and central council members.

What way is the vote split up King?

Tyrone Dreamer

Have clubs caught on they will be applied at all levels from next year? Will this definately happen or is there a chance that it will only be county teams for the near future? I've been at reserve and underage matches in recent weeks were teams have only had 1 sub. So not will a player get sent off for a yellow but the teams may not be in a position to replace him. Crazy stuff and I'm not sure were/why all the support seems to be there at county board level. Most supporters and players/managers seem to be against them. Are county boards afraid to vote no?

Zulu

I've only just sat down and read the posts since my last one now and if ever there was argument for retaining the rules you boys have made it. Anyone who declared opposition to the rules in the last two pages has done so in the form of bluster and bullshit, I have yet to see one rational, coherently made argument against the rules based on any facts. According to ye, the new rules are being pushed through by administrators, they'll take the physicality out of football, O'Neill is basing his run for presidency on it, small clubs will be ruined, administrators are more interested in entertainment (perish the thought), lads who travel bacjk from the states for a match must be considered and best of all ye say the refs aren't implementing them anyway, so what the hell is yer problem. Not one argument was put forward that the football has been poor or that games have been decided by the rules, or any such thing.

Nobody on this board has been able to name one match ruined by the rules yet yer up in arms, I hope these rules get through because I want to see where they'll take the game, if it isn't in a positive direction then we can get rid of them but lazy tackling, negative tactics (blocking the runner) and cynical fouling aren't being punished severly enough. This is an attempt to do that and as such it is worth a futher look. 

Throw ball

Zulu. I have seen a number of games this year spoiled by the new rules. In the Armagh Monaghangame Tommy Freeman was sent off in the first minute for absolutely nothing. Later in the game Ciaran McKeever was yellow carded for Armagh when they were three points up. Before a replacement was brought on Monaghan had scored a goal and the course of the game changed. The yellow card was later reversed. If Armagh had have won that game they would have been promoted and not Monaghan. Imagine the uproar if that happened in the Championship or an All Ireland final. Also when Monaghan played Kildare Doyle was sent off for nothing too. I do not know about you but I pay to watch the best players play.
I agree the idea of having a clearly defined set of rules were we know what is and isn't a yellow is a good idea. But surely we should keep it that two yellows means you are off. Some of the best games in the league have been when the referees have done everything they can to avoid giving yellow cards.
Finally. I have said this before on another thread but I firmly believe that the introdution of the new rules will lead to an increase in the blanket defence. As managers start to believe that it is too dangerous to leave players one on one in case a yellow results from a jersey pull etc. they will funnell players back to cut down on the space to make score taking more difficult. They will then attempt to score from the break. If two teams play this way it will be a very boring match.

Tyrone Dreamer

Referees get so many decisions wrong in gaelic football and that is why these rules wont work and are far too harsh. Players training flat out for big games and then possibly sent off for a shoulder or slightly miss judged tackle.

Zulu

QuoteZulu. I have seen a number of games this year spoiled by the new rules. In the Armagh Monaghangame Tommy Freeman was sent off in the first minute for absolutely nothing. Later in the game Ciaran McKeever was yellow carded for Armagh when they were three points up. Before a replacement was brought on Monaghan had scored a goal and the course of the game changed. The yellow card was later reversed. If Armagh had have won that game they would have been promoted and not Monaghan. Imagine the uproar if that happened in the Championship or an All Ireland final. Also when Monaghan played Kildare Doyle was sent off for nothing too.

I agree Doyle was sent of harshly but you could argue that refereeing mistakes have cost numerous teams, regardless of the rules, for example St. Mary's Edenderry may have lost the Hogan cup because the ref gave a late free the wrong way (IMO). Refereeing mistakes have always and will always happen but at least these new rules define what is a serious foul and what is not.

QuoteFinally. I have said this before on another thread but I firmly believe that the introdution of the new rules will lead to an increase in the blanket defence. As managers start to believe that it is too dangerous to leave players one on one in case a yellow results from a jersey pull etc. they will funnell players back to cut down on the space to make score taking more difficult. They will then attempt to score from the break. If two teams play this way it will be a very boring match.

That could happen, no doubt, but it's worth giving the rules a championship trial run to see if these things do happen. I strongly believe that football has boundless possibilities as a sport, it has everything you could want but certain things need to be addressed if it is going to become the game it can be.

INDIANA

Is it coincidence most of the opposition is Ulster related?

Tyrone Dreamer

Is it coincidence that the rules are being changed at a time when the All Ireland Champions, League Champions and All Ireland Minor Champions are from Ulster?

If it wasnt for Ulster the gaa would be unrecognisable now. We dont buy into all these "historic" votes and need for change. Most of them haven't done the gaa any favours.

Zulu

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 17, 2009, 11:52:13 PM
Is it coincidence that the rules are being changed at a time when the All Ireland Champions, League Champions and All Ireland Minor Champions are from Ulster?

If it wasnt for Ulster the gaa would be unrecognisable now. We dont buy into all these "historic" votes and need for change. Most of them haven't done the gaa any favours.

Will you stop with the paranoia, this has nothing to do with the recent success of the Ulster teams, which in reality hasn't been all that much anyway. As a football man I couldn't care less where the next hundred All Ireland winners come from, all I want is the game to be as good as it can, surely that is what we all want? Physical football is what we all want but most of what these rules address isn't physical football but lazy and cynical football.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Zulu on April 17, 2009, 07:43:51 PM
I've only just sat down and read the posts since my last one now and if ever there was argument for retaining the rules you boys have made it. Anyone who declared opposition to the rules in the last two pages has done so in the form of bluster and bullshit, I have yet to see one rational, coherently made argument against the rules based on any facts. According to ye, the new rules are being pushed through by administrators, they'll take the physicality out of football, O'Neill is basing his run for presidency on it, small clubs will be ruined, administrators are more interested in entertainment (perish the thought), lads who travel bacjk from the states for a match must be considered and best of all ye say the refs aren't implementing them anyway, so what the hell is yer problem. Not one argument was put forward that the football has been poor or that games have been decided by the rules, or any such thing.

Nobody on this board has been able to name one match ruined by the rules yet yer up in arms, I hope these rules get through because I want to see where they'll take the game, if it isn't in a positive direction then we can get rid of them but lazy tackling, negative tactics (blocking the runner) and cynical fouling aren't being punished severly enough. This is an attempt to do that and as such it is worth a futher look. 

Noone has made a single coherent arguent for making these rule changes

Zulu

Well in fact they have, but this thread hasn't been dominated by pro-rule posters claiming lots of unfounded positives, it has been dominated by lads saying the rules are a joke without one poster being able to rationally say why.

DuffleKing

give me an experimental rule that will improve the game

Farrandeelin

Not sure if it's been posted here before but I believe Mayo are in favour of them been retained.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.