Would you save a stranger?

Started by The Real Laoislad, April 02, 2009, 08:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

On Channel 4 tonight at 9pm.
Would you stop and help someone that was been attacked or robbed on a street?
I'm sure we'd all like to think we would step in and help,but some people have suffered serious injuries by trying to help some one else..
It will be interesting to hear the views of those that have helped and suffered from it afterwards,should be a good documentary
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Yes I would, I started a thread about this a while ago but I can't find it.

I'm sure you said you wouldnt unless you knew the person.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 02, 2009, 08:20:53 PM
Yes I would, I started a thread about this a while ago but I can't find it.

I'm sure you said you wouldnt unless you knew the person.

I did indeed pints,though honestly its impossible to tell until your faced with the situation..
I suppose I can't just say I wouldn't help because it would depend on the circumstances and how many were actually involved etc.
I probably sound selfish but sometimes you have to think of yourself and put your own safety first..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Lets hope if you're ever unfortunate enough to be in need of an interventation from a stranger you get it.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 02, 2009, 08:25:35 PM
Lets hope if you're ever unfortunate enough to be in need of an interventation from a stranger you get it.

Come on pints no need to be always so patronizing can you not have a discussion with everything always been either black or white?
You say you would help,I'm sure a lot of lads would say they would too,its easy to say you would but unless your actually faced with the situation you don't know what you would do.
What if you saw 4 or 5 lads set upon someone..
Would it be wise to jump in and get your head kicked and possibly be killed or step back,ring the cops and get a good look at everyone who is doing it so you can ID them if needed,what help would it be to anyone if you jumped in and got seriously injured?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Galwaybhoy

I hope I would help a person that needed my help wether I knew them or not!  Of course no one can say for sure unless they were in that position.  Sounds like an interesting documentary.

balladmaker

No one can sit on a message board from the comfort of their keyboard and say for certain what they would do.  It's one of those things, you just don't know until your in the situation.

I intervened a few years back when I came across a fella on the ground, getting a serious kicking in the head as he lay helpless.  The reason I intervened was because it was so hard to watch someone getting beaten to a pulp in that manner, and instinct just took over, nothing to do with bravery of any sort.  After I intervened, I later found out the fella getting the kicking had just beaten his girlfriend up and down the street, the fella giving the kicking was the girlfriend's brother.  Doesn't excuse the kicking, but puts it in some perspective.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 02, 2009, 08:32:16 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 02, 2009, 08:25:35 PM

Come on pints no need to be always so patronizing can you not have a discussion with everything always been either black or white?
You say you would help,I'm sure a lot of lads would say they would too,its easy to say you would but unless your actually faced with the situation you don't know what you would do.
What if you saw 4 or 5 lads set upon someone..
Would it be wise to jump in and get your head kicked and possibly be killed or step back,ring the cops and get a good look at everyone who is doing it so you can ID them if needed,what help would it be to anyone if you jumped in and got seriously injured?

You'd be more help jumping in than you would ringing the cops if someone is getting their head kicked.  
I dont know what anyone means when they talk about me seeing things black and white, I'm just saying what I'd do.  I'd honestly rather jump in and get a bad beating with the victim than stand back.  
And it's not that I'm brave or confident in my fighting ability, it would just be wrong to stand back. 

QuoteAfter I intervened, I later found out the fella getting the kicking had just beaten his girlfriend up and down the street, the fella giving the kicking was the girlfriend's brother.
It doesnt put anything in to perspective, it could just as easily been some poor sod that was set upon for no reason.

ExiledGael

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on April 02, 2009, 08:34:13 PM
I hope I would help a person that needed my help wether I knew them or not!  Of course no one can say for sure unless they were in that position.  Sounds like an interesting documentary.

Was almost in the situation a few years back making a trek to the car at Oxegen to stock up on supplies. Coming back across the car park there were 4/5 absolute tramps walking about checking cars for things to steal. They had no armbands for the concert but noticed a guy carrying two crates of beer maybe a hundred yards from me. They ran up behind him and pushed him in the back. He turned round startled and one of them punched him in the face. Was maybe 100 yards to the security tent so I darted down there and told them this fella was about to talke a real hammering. They got up in decent time so he only got a few slaps and the pricks were thrown off the site. Wondered after if I should have intervened but think I made the right call. There was enough of them to hammer the two of us and they wouldn't have thought twice about it judging by the look of them. Could have went any number of ways I suppose and I was lucky security was no real length away.
Never seen anyone getting kicked in the head or anything like that, but I find it impossible to watch even on TV so I'd imagine I'd do something. As has been said though you'd never know until the moment came.
I have saved someone from drowning though!

pintsofguinness

ardmhachaabu

I wouldn't step in unless I knew the person getting a beating and even at that, I would have to be related to them or they would have to be a VERY close friend.

I did it not too long ago on a bus when a bunch of spides were picking on a black fella and I got a kicking for my troubles.  On thinking about what I did that night, it was very stupid of me, I could have got stabbed.

Never again because my own family comes first.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Minder

Not sure i would jump in if a total stranger wa getting a hiding, at the end of the day you dont know why they were getting it. I ahve read about many a stranger that has stepped in on a "domestic" and they have both turned on the stranger. Obviously if it is a family member or friend you would get the knuckle dusters out.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on April 02, 2009, 08:59:35 PM
Not sure i would jump in if a total stranger wa getting a hiding, at the end of the day you dont know why they were getting it. I ahve read about many a stranger that has stepped in on a "domestic" and they have both turned on the stranger. Obviously if it is a family member or friend you would get the knuckle dusters out.........
I can think of better people to rush to my rescue. Like my 4 year old son.

I couldn't live with the guilt of not intervening and finding out some boy had been kicked to death or left in a wheelchair/coma. Nobody should be booting a man around the head while he is on the ground and I think I would intervene in that case.

The Times says this programme is a masterpiece in miniature and shows the profound effect acts of cowardice or bravery has on those involved.

pintsofguinness

I'm sorry, but these ones on the bus were just selfish cowards. 

Puckoon

Pints would you save 5ive Times?