15 (12.4%)
Go at christmas
27 (22.3%)
Never
29 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: April 02, 2009, 04:45:12 PM

longrunsthefox

Sorry to buck the trend but I have children and havent been for years except funerals and weddings as I would with any religion.
Don't see that wee'uns can't know about God and pray which we do without going to church. Can't abide the Catholic church- feel very let down by them.. is  a long story.     

red hander

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 31, 2009, 05:55:03 PM
Sorry to buck the trend but I have children and havent been for years except funerals and weddings as I would with any religion.
Don't see that wee'uns can't know about God and pray which we do without going to church. Can't abide the Catholic church- feel very let down by them.. is  a long story.     

Brought up a Catholic and glad I was, cos it opened my eyes to the total corruption within it and all other organised religions and turned me into a complete agnostic ... while I don't wish to denigrate anyone's religion (most of my friends would be church goers), IMO it's all a con, particularly Catholicism in Ireland.  Children shouldn't be brainwashed in this way, they should be allowed to make their own choices about religion when they are old enough and mature enough, not have it shoved down their throats (quite literally in very many cases, unfortunately) by uptight, frustrated old alcoholic virgins who in my experience of religious education in schools reverted to threats and violence when their theological arguments were defeated merely by debate and counter argument... just weddings and funerals myself, now, thank, er, God...

Rossfan

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on March 31, 2009, 05:27:50 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on March 31, 2009, 04:45:12 PM
Just curious to know how often people go to mass these days.

I would just go at christmas and what ever weddings or funerals i would have during the year.

Same as that...

He seldome goes to Mass,loves soccer and rugby ....no hope for you lad  ;D

Anyway for the record I'm a regular attender and just because some of the messengers(Clerics) were unworthy doesnt mean that the Message is .  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

illdecide

Quote from: nifan on March 31, 2009, 05:22:39 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 31, 2009, 05:18:50 PM
Quote from: nifan on March 31, 2009, 05:12:05 PM
Wont vote as im not a catholic, but would never go to church at all except for weddings, funerals or christenings.

Sure the missus will have you converting soon enough anyway  ;)

Theres a definite comitment there to go on christmas day when the kids come along. She may see that as the first step, but ill be having none of it:)

Actually she made me go a couple of times before the wedding (meet the priest etc), so technically in the last 15 years ive been to more regular services in the catholic church than the prod one - does that make me a catholic :)

I reckon your more a catholic than some guys on here. Your slowly turning and we'll covert your pal over on the OWC threads
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2009, 06:33:08 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on March 31, 2009, 05:27:50 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on March 31, 2009, 04:45:12 PM
Just curious to know how often people go to mass these days.

I would just go at christmas and what ever weddings or funerals i would have during the year.

Same as that...

He seldome goes to Mass,loves soccer and rugby ....no hope for you lad  ;D

Anyway for the record I'm a regular attender and just because some of the messengers(Clerics) were unworthy doesnt mean that the Message is .  ;)

Loves rugby is a bit over top me thinks..I never proclaimed to love rugby,so I don't know what your on about there boy,and why do you feel the need to mention sport and soccer when talking about Religion? You obsessed is what you are..

Anyway back to the thread,you can get the message without having to go to Mass,I'm as much a believer as anyone and even more so than some,but i don't feel the need nor want to be preached at for a half an hour every sunday,I have my own way of expressing my faith...

You'll Never Walk Alone.

tyronefan

being from Laois you need to have faith in things you know are there but will not see,   God, Sam McGuire etc.  ;D

The Watcher Pat

Weddings and Funerals mainly just for me...Have a real dislike about going now.

Usually means some one I know has died or is for the high jump!!

Tend to go to Christenings as well..But you couldn't really call that mass...They are worse than mass where I come from...Was at one about 4 weeks ago and the priest marched about 2 rows of us from the middle of the chapel right to the front so we could "enjoy the ceremony more" then proceeded to ask one of us to read!!

If i wanted to sit at the front i would have went there at the start and/or put my name forward to read..
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

ardmhachaabu

Weekly if we can manage it, sometimes more, depending on circumstances
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

nifan

Quote from: illdecide on March 31, 2009, 06:39:15 PM
I reckon your more a catholic than some guys on here. Your slowly turning and we'll covert your pal over on the OWC threads

If im turning im turning from a "protestant" agnostic to a "catholic" agnostic, hardly makes much difference ;)

pintsofguinness

Just an odd time if I was at home and oul ones start noticing I haven't been - just to keep them happy and to hold on to my title as perfect son. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Donagh

Sorry lads but the Mass and in particular the Eucharist is the centre of the Catholic faith. If you ain't attending Mass every week by choice then you ain't Catholics. What do you think this is some sort of Protestant thing where you can make it up as you go along? Excuses such as not wanting to be preached at don't wash either as there'll will be Mass available without the sermon and besides as I said, if you were Catholic you'd put up with it in order to take the Eucharist. You may have an alternative way of expressing your faith but it is not the Catholic faith - maybe you're all Prods...

pintsofguinness

QuoteIf you ain't attending Mass every week by choice then you ain't Catholics.
Fine by me.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

Quote from: Donagh on March 31, 2009, 08:41:31 PM
Sorry lads but the Mass and in particular the Eucharist is the centre of the Catholic faith. If you ain't attending Mass every week by choice then you ain't Catholics. What do you think this is some sort of Protestant thing where you can make it up as you go along? Excuses such as not wanting to be preached at don't wash either as there'll will be Mass available without the sermon and besides as I said, if you were Catholic you'd put up with it in order to take the Eucharist. You may have an alternative way of expressing your faith but it is not the Catholic faith - maybe you're all Prods...

If we have a whip around maybe 10quid a head, will you sneak us into heaven via the side gate?

Hardy

When are we having the poll on who goes to the synagogue, the mosque, the Presbyterian church, etc? And of course, who reads a chapter of The God Delusion every week? Neither the GAA nor the gaaboard are Catholic institutions.

Donagh

Quote from: Puckoon on March 31, 2009, 08:45:08 PM
If we have a whip around maybe 10quid a head, will you sneak us into heaven via the side gate?

Sorry Puck, I'll be busy trying to fight my way out of Hell. I have already had a vision of it  and it looks like that video link with the OWC supporters singing the song about goalkeeper.