15 (12.4%)
Go at christmas
27 (22.3%)
Never
29 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: April 02, 2009, 04:45:12 PM

Tubberman

I'd probably classify myself as an Agnostic.
All religion is a con as far as I can see (power and greed mainly), and is used as a reason/excuse for war and hatred all over the world.
I only go to weddings and funerals these days - haven't even gone at Christmas for the last couple of years. The only reason I would go at Christmas would be to meet people and to keep the parents happy.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

stephenite

I've set up my own religion and have a small but very devoted band of followers set up in St. Tiernan's Park.

Going rather well and the sense of power one gets from conning people into thinking you're the saviour is unreal.

Even though some people have tried to put me out of business my devotees spend every waking minute defending the purity of my religion as opposed to the croneyism and corrupt ways of the traditionalists.

Ciaran MacDonald, the one true voice

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Donagh on March 31, 2009, 10:52:57 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 31, 2009, 09:58:11 PM
While granted there are plenty of decent priests in the church (in all churches) some of them really piss me off. Too many of them think their collar demands respect for  them even though they may be complete pricks. Our local priest called down a few weeks ago to see my wife (who is a practising catholic). He told her he was coming down to see if he could help her with a new business she is starting. Instead he came down and asked why I didn't attend mass and tried to force my wife to hold a station mass in our home (in these parts all this is is a reason for nosy neighbours and gossips to come and see what sort of stuff is in your house and so people holding these masses feel under severe pressure to spend a load of money to do up the house). My wife said no. Priest then lectured her that the church was all about community (I thought it had something to do with god but sure there you go). He then quizzed her on how come she had been made redundant from her past job. Obviously he wasn't happy with her answer as we have heard back from 4 people that he has been asking people about my wifes redundancy and insinuating that something out of the ordinary has happened. The fact that my wife worked in a creche with kids means that if people start to believe that something is odd then god knows what story will come out. I'm seriously pissed off with this priest and he is going to get a volley of abuse from me that he won't be forgetting for a long time. All this cos he couldn't get his way and come into our home to say mass!

Priests are human, so you're going to get your fair share of pricks as in any other part of life.

Thats right Donagh, so the next time you are moaning about Unionists and Bigots remember that they are only human and will have their fair share of pricks!

Donagh

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 01, 2009, 08:05:17 AM
Thats right Donagh, so the next time you are moaning about Unionists and Bigots remember that they are only human and will have their fair share of pricks!

Indeed but even a p***k has no right to be a bigot.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 31, 2009, 09:58:11 PM
Quote from: red hander on March 31, 2009, 06:25:14 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 31, 2009, 05:55:03 PM
Sorry to buck the trend but I have children and havent been for years except funerals and weddings as I would with any religion.
Don't see that wee'uns can't know about God and pray which we do without going to church. Can't abide the Catholic church- feel very let down by them.. is  a long story.     

Brought up a Catholic and glad I was, cos it opened my eyes to the total corruption within it and all other organised religions and turned me into a complete agnostic ... while I don't wish to denigrate anyone's religion (most of my friends would be church goers), IMO it's all a con, particularly Catholicism in Ireland.  Children shouldn't be brainwashed in this way, they should be allowed to make their own choices about religion when they are old enough and mature enough, not have it shoved down their throats (quite literally in very many cases, unfortunately) by uptight, frustrated old alcoholic virgins who in my experience of religious education in schools reverted to threats and violence when their theological arguments were defeated merely by debate and counter argument... just weddings and funerals myself, now, thank, er, God...

Couldn't agree more.

While granted there are plenty of decent priests in the church (in all churches) some of them really piss me off. Too many of them think their collar demands respect for  them even though they may be complete pricks. Our local priest called down a few weeks ago to see my wife (who is a practising catholic). He told her he was coming down to see if he could help her with a new business she is starting. Instead he came down and asked why I didn't attend mass and tried to force my wife to hold a station mass in our home (in these parts all this is is a reason for nosy neighbours and gossips to come and see what sort of stuff is in your house and so people holding these masses feel under severe pressure to spend a load of money to do up the house). My wife said no. Priest then lectured her that the church was all about community (I thought it had something to do with god but sure there you go). He then quizzed her on how come she had been made redundant from her past job. Obviously he wasn't happy with her answer as we have heard back from 4 people that he has been asking people about my wifes redundancy and insinuating that something out of the ordinary has happened. The fact that my wife worked in a creche with kids means that if people start to believe that something is odd then god knows what story will come out. I'm seriously pissed off with this priest and he is going to get a volley of abuse from me that he won't be forgetting for a long time. All this cos he couldn't get his way and come into our home to say mass!
confront him and more or less tellhim exactly what you have written here, thats disgraceful that what he has said to people has snowballed into disgraceful allegations about your missus - wouldnt stand for that,he has no right and its actually out of kielter with catholic church teachings.

dont tell him, but if you dont get satisfaction/apology - then report him to bishop.

this kind of shite should not be allowed.

a lot of country places (esp cavan - from first hand exp) dwell on the f**king nosiness and stories they can peddle around the place.
Go sort it out. People like this priest have no place in the catholic church if thats what they get up to.

Gnevin

The flying spaghetti monster who I worship  doesn't require me to turn east to face a tea pot in orbit around the sun
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: hardstation on March 31, 2009, 09:57:23 PM
Quote from: john mcgill on March 31, 2009, 09:56:26 PM
Weekly and I'm currently going every morning in Lent.  When I was younger I would go to mass and pray for all sorts now Mass is me time.  I love the half an hour of uninterrupted silence.
Is your sagart a mute?
class!! ;D
All the badmouthing priests just reminded me there of one we had for a while, we man from Cork, young sorta fella, can;t mind his name. ANyway it was around 2001/02 he used to say mass in about 20-25 mins, most times without a sermon (didn't go down well with the older members of congregation). He was also somewhat of a rascal, rumours he had a girl on the go and he was promptly moved on. He also played football for one of the local clubs, heard he was a right dirty heuere! (on the field). Remember once seeing him walking around Lifestyle Sports with a celtic jersey on looking at football tops!Why can't all priests be like that?!

SidelineKick

Quote from: fitzroyalty on April 01, 2009, 10:22:49 AM
Quote from: hardstation on March 31, 2009, 09:57:23 PM
Quote from: john mcgill on March 31, 2009, 09:56:26 PM
Weekly and I'm currently going every morning in Lent.  When I was younger I would go to mass and pray for all sorts now Mass is me time.  I love the half an hour of uninterrupted silence.
Is your sagart a mute?
class!! ;D
All the badmouthing priests just reminded me there of one we had for a while, we man from Cork, young sorta fella, can;t mind his name. ANyway it was around 2001/02 he used to say mass in about 20-25 mins, most times without a sermon (didn't go down well with the older members of congregation). He was also somewhat of a rascal, rumours he had a girl on the go and he was promptly moved on. He also played football for one of the local clubs, heard he was a right dirty heuere! (on the field). Remember once seeing him walking around Lifestyle Sports with a celtic jersey on looking at football tops!Why can't all priests be like that?!

There's more of them than you think  :D
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 31, 2009, 09:09:14 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on March 31, 2009, 09:03:29 PM
Take it to the next level pints, come to the states. Those guys LOVE saying mass. Its a full 70 minute ordeal complete with hand holding during the our father, and hugs and kisses at the sign of the peace.
The woman goes most weeks here and it's a hour though I hear in some places it's only about 20 minutes!
(yes, she's probably lying to me)

One of the priests in the College could have had mass done and dusted in about 15-20 minutes in the morning...

How many of yous did the altar?? I used to do it in school just... We used to stay after the priest had went round to breakfast and steal the bread to eat during the day, thats how deprived boarding was!

illdecide

Nail i heard you had a special bond with the priests...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Lazer

Quote from: Donagh on March 31, 2009, 08:41:31 PM
Sorry lads but the Mass and in particular the Eucharist is the centre of the Catholic faith. If you ain't attending Mass every week by choice then you ain't Catholics. What do you think this is some sort of Protestant thing where you can make it up as you go along? Excuses such as not wanting to be preached at don't wash either as there'll will be Mass available without the sermon and besides as I said, if you were Catholic you'd put up with it in order to take the Eucharist. You may have an alternative way of expressing your faith but it is not the Catholic faith - maybe you're all Prods...

Not strictly true according to the catholic church, even if not attending every week, still a catholic as long as you fulfil your easter duty, so go to mass once a year and confession and your still a catholic, although still mean tto go every week
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Hound

Quote from: Lazer on April 01, 2009, 12:45:28 PM
Quote from: Donagh on March 31, 2009, 08:41:31 PM
Sorry lads but the Mass and in particular the Eucharist is the centre of the Catholic faith. If you ain't attending Mass every week by choice then you ain't Catholics. What do you think this is some sort of Protestant thing where you can make it up as you go along? Excuses such as not wanting to be preached at don't wash either as there'll will be Mass available without the sermon and besides as I said, if you were Catholic you'd put up with it in order to take the Eucharist. You may have an alternative way of expressing your faith but it is not the Catholic faith - maybe you're all Prods...

Not strictly true according to the catholic church, even if not attending every week, still a catholic as long as you fulfil your easter duty, so go to mass once a year and confession and your still a catholic, although still mean tto go every week
I go to mass 1 or 2 times per month. Haven't been to confession in at least 10 years.
I wouldnt follow any of the rules that make no sense to me, like condoms or inane chanting.
I don't believe that, assuming God is up there looking down on us, that he puts Catholics ahead of Prods. A good Christian is what I believe you should aspire to be.

Maiden1

Went once when I was about a month old with my mum and dad and a couple of there friends.  The f**ker tried to drown me so I haven't been back since. (I have actually) :D 
There are no proofs, only opinions.

The Iceman

What is the point of going to Mass if you don't want to be there?
I remember years ago we actually used to sing at Mass in Armagh - now you would be lucky if 5% of the congregation sang.  People usually take communion and slip out the back or slip out during communion and don't receive at all.  Very few people wait for the closing hymn to finish and a lot leave the Church before the priest has even left the altar.  Some why go at all?

In America it is actually ok to be a Catholic.  People here want to be Catholics not because it identifies them but because they have a relationship with God and express that through the Catholic Church.  Holding your mother's hand during the Our Father - my goodness how could people do it - like hold their mother's hand while praying to God.  And then giving someone a hug as a "sign" of peace - did ever you hear something so ridiculous???

There are great church communities in America - we used to have them back in Ireland when people actually gave a shit about each other, when people were concerned with more than simply gossiping about everyone else and being as negative as possible about life.  Waken up people - there is a whole other world outside of Ireland and just because it isn't what you are used to doesn't mean it is wrong.

If you don't want to be in Mass then don't go - but please don't go to Mass and then bitch to everyone how bad it is.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: The Iceman on April 01, 2009, 03:09:07 PM
What is the point of going to Mass if you don't want to be there?
I remember years ago we actually used to sing at Mass in Armagh - now you would be lucky if 5% of the congregation sang.  People usually take communion and slip out the back or slip out during communion and don't receive at all.  Very few people wait for the closing hymn to finish and a lot leave the Church before the priest has even left the altar.  Some why go at all?

In America it is actually ok to be a Catholic.  People here want to be Catholics not because it identifies them but because they have a relationship with God and express that through the Catholic Church.  Holding your mother's hand during the Our Father - my goodness how could people do it - like hold their mother's hand while praying to God.  And then giving someone a hug as a "sign" of peace - did ever you hear something so ridiculous???

There are great church communities in America - we used to have them back in Ireland when people actually gave a shit about each other, when people were concerned with more than simply gossiping about everyone else and being as negative as possible about life.  Waken up people - there is a whole other world outside of Ireland and just because it isn't what you are used to doesn't mean it is wrong.

If you don't want to be in Mass then don't go - but please don't go to Mass and then bitch to everyone how bad it is.

Well said.
Tbc....