Go at christmas
27 (22.3%)
Never
29 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: April 02, 2009, 04:45:12 PM

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Iceman on April 01, 2009, 03:09:07 PM
What is the point of going to Mass if you don't want to be there?
I remember years ago we actually used to sing at Mass in Armagh - now you would be lucky if 5% of the congregation sang.  People usually take communion and slip out the back or slip out during communion and don't receive at all.  Very few people wait for the closing hymn to finish and a lot leave the Church before the priest has even left the altar.  Some why go at all?

In America it is actually ok to be a Catholic.  People here want to be Catholics not because it identifies them but because they have a relationship with God and express that through the Catholic Church.  Holding your mother's hand during the Our Father - my goodness how could people do it - like hold their mother's hand while praying to God.  And then giving someone a hug as a "sign" of peace - did ever you hear something so ridiculous???

There are great church communities in America - we used to have them back in Ireland when people actually gave a shit about each other, when people were concerned with more than simply gossiping about everyone else and being as negative as possible about life.  Waken up people - there is a whole other world outside of Ireland and just because it isn't what you are used to doesn't mean it is wrong.

If you don't want to be in Mass then don't go - but please don't go to Mass and then bitch to everyone how bad it is.

Is this the same america that still has the death penalty, locks people with out trial in concentration camps, supports Israel when it blows up kids and invades and slaughters in varying countries around the world as a result of fabricated lies. I spent a lot of time in the bible belt area of the US and I saw all the religious people holding hands and being big into their church. Always talking about church and church groups and bringing the kids to church organised picnics etc. Then these same people would tell me "you better not mess with america or we'll blow the shit out of you", one guy talk with pride of his gun collection consisting of numerous hand guns and semi automatics. These "religious" of the US make zero sense to me. Even George W is a devout christian (all be it one of those crazy fundamentalist christians). GIve me the gossiping irish bitching catholic anyday!

pintsofguinness

QuoteWhat is the point of going to Mass if you don't want to be there?
So that you're mammy wont shout at you  :(
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 01, 2009, 07:10:19 PM
:D  ;D

You scared of your mammy pints?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

The Iceman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 01, 2009, 06:19:35 PM
Is this the same america that still has the death penalty, locks people with out trial in concentration camps, supports Israel when it blows up kids and invades and slaughters in varying countries around the world as a result of fabricated lies. I spent a lot of time in the bible belt area of the US and I saw all the religious people holding hands and being big into their church. Always talking about church and church groups and bringing the kids to church organised picnics etc. Then these same people would tell me "you better not mess with america or we'll blow the shit out of you", one guy talk with pride of his gun collection consisting of numerous hand guns and semi automatics. These "religious" of the US make zero sense to me. Even George W is a devout christian (all be it one of those crazy fundamentalist christians). GIve me the gossiping irish bitching catholic anyday!

Just because people in Kerry are a bit slow doesn't mean we all are Myles...... i.e don't fall victim to the stereotype mentality.......

I am not defending America - there is definitely a different mentality over here than in Ireland and I would always have my own over anyone else but your arguments simply back up my initial point:

Negativity.

We are talking about Catholics.  "Crap I can't find anything else to say so: Rant begins about everything else negative that comes to mind......." its tired and old and adds nothing to the discussion.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hound on April 01, 2009, 01:15:32 PM
Quote from: Lazer on April 01, 2009, 12:45:28 PM
Quote from: Donagh on March 31, 2009, 08:41:31 PM
Sorry lads but the Mass and in particular the Eucharist is the centre of the Catholic faith. If you ain't attending Mass every week by choice then you ain't Catholics. What do you think this is some sort of Protestant thing where you can make it up as you go along? Excuses such as not wanting to be preached at don't wash either as there'll will be Mass available without the sermon and besides as I said, if you were Catholic you'd put up with it in order to take the Eucharist. You may have an alternative way of expressing your faith but it is not the Catholic faith - maybe you're all Prods...

Not strictly true according to the catholic church, even if not attending every week, still a catholic as long as you fulfil your easter duty, so go to mass once a year and confession and your still a catholic, although still mean tto go every week
I go to mass 1 or 2 times per month. Haven't been to confession in at least 10 years.
I wouldnt follow any of the rules that make no sense to me, like condoms or inane chanting.
I don't believe that, assuming God is up there looking down on us, that he puts Catholics ahead of Prods. A good Christian is what I believe you should aspire to be.

Confession was always the biggest farce as I always had the same auld spiel ready everytime which in itself was a lie. I told lies, I said bad words, I was cheeky to my mammy etc.

Don't go now and haven't been in years. Went for years to keep my granny happy as she was an old school Catholic i.e. went every day during Lent and first mass on a Sunday. I was more of a Saturday night in the back porch attender. When she passed away I stopped going. I'd rather not go at all than be a hypocrite like about 95% of people who when questioned would say the are Catholics as they go to mass but wouldn't actually practice anything they profess to hold dear!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 01, 2009, 07:45:05 PM

Isnt everyone?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Iceman on April 01, 2009, 08:15:21 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 01, 2009, 06:19:35 PM

Just because people in Kerry are a bit slow doesn't mean we all are Myles...... i.e don't fall victim to the stereotype mentality.......

I am not defending America - there is definitely a different mentality over here than in Ireland and I would always have my own over anyone else but your arguments simply back up my initial point:

Negativity.

We are talking about Catholics.  "Crap I can't find anything else to say so: Rant begins about everything else negative that comes to mind......." its tired and old and adds nothing to the discussion.....

You generalised about American Catholics being something we should aspire to be like. I reminded you that many americans actively support horrendous acts perpertrated by their government. I think people can do a lot better than aspire to be like american catholics. If you find that negative fine.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 01, 2009, 08:43:31 PM

Isnt everyone?
No Sir!  :D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ludermor

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 01, 2009, 08:43:31 PM

Isnt everyone?
i think your mammy is lovely

pintsofguinness

ludermor

Myles Na G.

These days I worry that my 11 year old will drop me in the shit, by letting slip to his granny that he doesn't get taken to mass that often by his da. That's worse than just not going yourself.

The Iceman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 01, 2009, 08:56:32 PM
You generalised about American Catholics being something we should aspire to be like. I reminded you that many americans actively support horrendous acts perpertrated by their government. I think people can do a lot better than aspire to be like american catholics. If you find that negative fine.

Could we aspire to being like the Catholics we had in Ireland 20 years ago?
I was comparing Catholic faith in America and Church community to what it used to be in Ireland 20 years ago.  Something we could all aspire to.......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Main Street

I am not a catholic.
My mother was a traditional catholic in a big way.
Mass every day, evening prayers, pilgrimages etc.

It wasn't until she was on her death bed that I saw some aspects more clearly.
She wasn't saying much as she couldn't and almost everything had been said.  However she asked me was this it? I told her it was, she knew that I would be the one to tell her how it was.
She said,  no worries as she was ready for dying. In the matter of a few day she had to adjust from living to dying. 
I thought maybe she was just trying to make it easier for us.
When the priest came around for the last rites, she came out of her comatose state in an instant and fully participated. The priest didn't quite get the significance of what was happening. My mother told him that she was fine and that the Blessed Lady was beside her. She felt Her presence strongly and she felt in a state of grace.
I was in no doubt about my Mothers state. Her religion had turned from (what I had perceived to be) ritualistic to something profoundly moving and deeply felt.

The experience  of being a Catholic I guess is subjective,
but if you regard yourself as one then be one.

Chrisowc

Powerful stuff Main Street.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!