The Titanic

Started by Drumanee 1, March 31, 2009, 01:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumanee 1

It could only happen here,the amount of publicity the titanic gets here and how proud we are of building it,the bloody thing sank on it's first voyage!we want to celebrate a failure and to top that off we name a airport after a man who lets be honest was hardly a pillar of society.is this the way we want to reflect our country?

fitzroyalty

Drumanee 1

ireland or if you like n.ireland what ever you feel comfortable with

ONeill

It is truly amazing. The titanic story was a disaster. It's like me building the biggest house in Europe, congratulating myself and it falling over the day after it was completed, killing everyone in the local area. Then years later it's celebrated.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Doogie Browser

Whatever next, paramilataries in Government?   :o

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on March 31, 2009, 01:47:22 PM
It could only happen here,the amount of publicity the titanic gets here and how proud we are of building it,the bloody thing sank on it's first voyage!we want to celebrate a failure and to top that off we name a airport after a man who lets be honest was hardly a pillar of society.is this the way we want to reflect our country?
Well I have no qualms with the George Best airport so I don't see what you are getting at with that example. As for the whole Titanic thing IMO is just an attempt to try and reaffirm a sense of culture for Unionists. If I'm blatantly honest there's somewhat of an identity crisis  existing within Unionism (whether they admit it or not) and the whole Titanic thing is part of trying to support an exclusive sense of culture within Northern Ireland.

SidelineKick

It should have been the Alex Higgins Airport in my opinion.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

rrhf

Quote from: ONeill on March 31, 2009, 01:54:15 PM
It is truly amazing. The titanic story was a disaster. It's like me building the biggest house in Europe, congratulating myself and it falling over the day after it was completed, killing everyone in the local area. Then years later it's celebrated.
I thought the film was great.  The titanic was made pre partition so to a certain extent the free staters need to know from time to time that their boat building skills are fecking useless too.   I think that the lesson to us all, even some 97 years later is to make sure theres no leaks or holes in 'er when ye hop on.    

longrunsthefox

People wear a crucifix that was used to kill Jesus. If he was shot would they wear minature revolvers around their necks?   

tyronefan

what were they going to shoot him with?  guns were not invented   :P

Drumanee 1

Quote from: fitzroyalty on March 31, 2009, 02:00:25 PM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on March 31, 2009, 01:47:22 PM
Well I have no qualms with the George Best airport so I don't see what you are getting at with that example. As for the whole Titanic thing IMO is just an attempt to try and reaffirm a sense of culture for Unionists. If I'm blatantly honest there's somewhat of an identity crisis  existing within Unionism (whether they admit it or not) and the whole Titanic thing is part of trying to support an exclusive sense of culture within Northern Ireland.

the man was a mess,compare him to someone like mary peters,martin o'neill,seamus heaney,liam neeson i could go on for ever

longrunsthefox

Quote from: tyronefan on March 31, 2009, 02:08:09 PM

spears then  8)

screenmachine

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 31, 2009, 02:06:00 PM
People wear a crucifix that was used to kill Jesus. If he was shot would they wear minature revolvers around their necks?   

It was probably more the nails in the wrists, sword in the side or dehydration that eventually killed Jesus.  Come to think of it, the crucifix is getting a bit of a raw deal here...
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

muppet

Quote from: rrhf on March 31, 2009, 02:03:56 PM
Quote from: ONeill on March 31, 2009, 01:54:15 PM
I thought the film was great.  The titanic was made pre partition so to a certain extent the free staters need to know from time to time that their boat building skills are fecking useless too.   I think that the lesson to us all, even some 97 years later is to make sure theres no leaks or holes in 'er when ye hop on.    

There are more holes in your logic than there was in the Titanic.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 31, 2009, 02:10:19 PM
Quote from: tyronefan on March 31, 2009, 02:08:09 PM

spears then  8)
Nah! Better still, force him to referee a never-ending spat between lynchbhoy and EG, with full supporting casts!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi