Quote from: tyronefan on March 31, 2009, 01:56:16 PM
there is a good few from the west of Ireland

I have been stopped by a few different lads from Mayo
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 31, 2009, 01:58:26 PM

Couple of Dubs round Armagh too.

I would say that right enough would have found it hard to believe until i found this one day and nearly vomited everyroad

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1082 

Its full of happy handy hints and tips like " don't diss the ruc when your in garnerville and dont tell your new comrades your from the south till they get to see your as much of a p***k as they are "etc etc all essential knowledge for prospective southern stasi

Orior

Quote from: Feckitt on March 31, 2009, 01:42:16 PM
According to BBC website, 26% of PSNI are now catholic. 

Where are they all coming from?  I have never even heard rumours of someone I know joining the police!

26% kaflics, but how many nationalists? Or must that be left at the door on the way in?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

carribbear

Quote from: Orior on March 31, 2009, 03:00:09 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on March 31, 2009, 01:42:16 PM
According to BBC website, 26% of PSNI are now catholic. 

Where are they all coming from?  I have never even heard rumours of someone I know joining the police!

26% kaflics, but how many nationalists? Or must that be left at the door on the way in?

One can only guess these are the same 'nationalist' families who stood idly by while events unfolded back in the 60's. Theres a few types on here that would be prime candidates for recruitment.
Then you have the idiots from the south who probably were too thick to get into Templemore so have flashed the catholic get-into-jail free card to boost numbers.

Lazer

And how many of the catholics are foreigners - seem to remember a story about the number of polish catholics applying for the police
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

lynchbhoy

have been told that a lot of the catholic recruits/police were sent over from England to bolster the percentile at least up until a while ago. Sounds like theres plenty of catholics in it now, but as Drumanee pointed out, its still missing recruits from the hardline regions.

also because of the continued police abuse and harrassment in Derry city, I cant see too many from there joining any time soon.

Things will hopefully change.

red hander

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on March 31, 2009, 01:58:33 PM

seriously?

Met one from Donegal two months ago ... actually did me a good turn

Boolerhead Mel

All well and good having all these Catholics in the PSNI-however as has been pointed out how many are republicans and how many are Uncle Toms and Castle Catholics. Also god forbid the parades comission allows the OO down the Orm. Road or Garvaghy Road-would they be as happy as the RUC men who battered people of these roads in the past. That will be the big test-the PSNI have not been tested in this regard lets hope they never are. On a personal note I know 2 people who have joined...would not have let either of them near a gun! 

Minder

Quote from: Boolerhead Mel on March 31, 2009, 04:37:02 PM
All well and good having all these Catholics in the PSNI-however as has been pointed out how many are republicans and how many are Uncle Toms and Castle Catholics. Also god forbid the parades comission allows the OO down the Orm. Road or Garvaghy Road-would they be as happy as the RUC men who battered people of these roads in the past. That will be the big test-the PSNI have not been tested in this regard lets hope they never are. On a personal note I know 2 people who have joined...would not have let either of them near a gun! 
What is a "castle catholic",someone who does not go to mass or someone who is not a republican?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gaffer

Quote from: Minder on March 31, 2009, 05:06:43 PM
What is a "castle catholic",someone who does not go to mass or someone who is not a republican?

Its how republicans  referred to any catholic who did not support the IRA!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

heganboy

All well and good having all these Catholics in the PSNI-however as has been pointed out how many are republicans and how many are Uncle Toms and Castle Catholics. 

So what you're suggesting is that someone fills in a political allegiance as part of their application?
I can see how that would work....

and wtf are Uncle Toms and Castle Catholics
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

cavan4ever

Quote from: Gaffer on March 31, 2009, 05:27:49 PM

Its how republicans  referred to any catholic who did not support the IRA!!!

I think some people wont be happy until their were a few provos in the PSNI.

Maguire01

Quote from: Lazer on March 31, 2009, 03:32:38 PM
And how many of the catholics are foreigners - seem to remember a story about the number of polish catholics applying for the police

From House of Commons Written Answers - February 2007
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmhansrd/cm070207/text/70207w0011.htm
QuotePSNI: Catholic Recruits
10. Mr. Hollobone: To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland how many Catholic recruits from eastern Europe have been recruited into the Police Service of Northern Ireland. [118060]

Paul Goggins: I am advised that currently there are no Roman Catholic recruits from eastern Europe in the Police Service of Northern Ireland.

Puckoon

I think its someone who never yelled (publically or privately) UPTHE RA!

carribbear

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 31, 2009, 05:37:47 PM
I think some people wont be happy until their were a few provos in the PSNI.

You probably mean until Sir Martin Ferris takes the position of Chief Constable of the PSNI?

carribbear

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 31, 2009, 06:05:34 PM
Quote from: Lazer on March 31, 2009, 03:32:38 PM

From House of Commons Written Answers - February 2007
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmhansrd/cm070207/text/70207w0011.htm
QuotePSNI: Catholic Recruits
10. Mr. Hollobone: To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland how many Catholic recruits from eastern Europe have been recruited into the Police Service of Northern Ireland. [118060]

Paul Goggins: I am advised that currently there are no Roman Catholic recruits from eastern Europe in the Police Service of Northern Ireland.

So which British government department did you get assigned to - ministry of propoganda?
You have to earn your keep I suppose.