Taxi Strike

Started by highorlow, March 30, 2009, 09:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

How many of the Taxi drivers on the protest today got their plate recently, i.e during deregulation. It is a bit of a contradiction that they are now protesting and want regulation back.

However, I do feel some sort of sympathy with them as there are now over 40,000 plates in Dublin.

I'm just wondering what other peoples views are here and are their actions justified?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

mrsandman

Quote from: highorlow on March 30, 2009, 09:56:12 AM
How many of the Taxi drivers on the protest today got their plate recently, i.e during deregulation. It is a bit of a contradiction that they are now protesting and want regulation back.

However, I do feel some sort of sympathy with them as there are now over 40,000 plates in Dublin.

I'm just wondering what other peoples views are here and are their actions justified?

Just drive the taxis and quit your snifflin  ;D
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Gnevin

The Market will regulate it's self . The much quoted statistics that Dublin has more taxi's than New York doesn't take into account the fact New York has a decent transport system.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

under the bar

Its the prices that need deregulated. 

I am more than happy to help out johnny-foreigner with a few directions as to how to get where I want to go if it means you don't have to pay the prices of an airline fare to get across the town!

full back

Is it any easier to get a taxi at night in Dublin now that there are so many taxi drivers floating about.
My limited experience of Dublin at night is that it is a fecking disaster to get one after 1am

Hardy

Still, it can't be easy deciding how the country should be run, figuring out the immigrant "problem" and trying to drive a taxi all at the same time.

Bogball XV

Quote from: full back on March 30, 2009, 11:20:16 AM
Is it any easier to get a taxi at night in Dublin now that there are so many taxi drivers floating about.
My limited experience of Dublin at night is that it is a fecking disaster to get one after 1am
no bother whatsoever anymore - don't know the last time i had any problems at all.

ludermor

Christmas week was the only time in the last few years i had a problem and that was or an hour on college green, in the old days you could have been there all night.
But i hate saying this but for the first time in my life i actually agree with taxi drivers. We went from the cartel of approx 4500 drivers to over 45000 in the space of 8-9?? years. The standard of cars has dropped massively, i even seen a plate on a 96 reg car the other day. i wouldnt have an issue if they capped off the plates as it stands. It seems that every second person that is let go is buying a plate at the minute.

Gnevin

Quote from: ludermor on March 30, 2009, 12:11:18 PM
Christmas week was the only time in the last few years i had a problem and that was or an hour on college green, in the old days you could have been there all night.
But i hate saying this but for the first time in my life i actually agree with taxi drivers. We went from the cartel of approx 4500 drivers to over 45000 in the space of 8-9?? years. The standard of cars has dropped massively, i even seen a plate on a 96 reg car the other day. i wouldnt have an issue if they capped off the plates as it stands. It seems that every second person that is let go is buying a plate at the minute.
The facts are backing up this widely held believe

"But she added there has also been a drop in new licence applications every month for the last nine months "which is perhaps an indicator of the market finding its natural equilibrium.""

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0309/breaking47.htm
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.