Super 14 Rugby Union

Started by Hoof Hearted, March 27, 2009, 10:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Any of you big rugby fans watch this tournament ?

I think its fantastic. The 14 best teams of the Southern Hemishpere playing in a round robin competition (5 x NZ 5 SA 4 x Aus).
The physicality, speed, ball handling skills, off loading in the tackle, the force at which they hit the ruck are all head and shoulders above anything we have here. Now the Heineken Cup is a super tournament too but i still think it lags behind.
I would to see a game the way Rugby League starts their season (Aussie Champs v English Champs) only have the Heineken Cup Winners v Super 14 Winners. If the game were to be taken serious it would be some spectacle.

PS - The cheerleaders are something else !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Dinny Breen

Sooner watch paint dry, basketball rugby for TV where the laws of the game are completely ignored.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hoof Hearted

i suppose your a rugby coach dinny who knows the game. for the likes of me who doesnt know half the rules i think its great entertainment.

Gnevin

Pure and utter shite. I'd rather watch fake Rugby aka league than super 14's where they ignore half the rules.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

thebigfella

Hmmm, correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Super 14 Union and League is the NRL?

Dinny Breen

Quotefor the likes of me who doesnt know half the rules i think its great entertainment

That's the key HH, it's aimed at the general population in SA, NZ and in particular Oz where they want to see tries, tries and more tries. However attendances at the games are falling, they couldn't even sell out the final last year. I'd sooner watch Currie Cup or NPC personally as I find Super 14 just too frustrating, however because it's played at such pace the skill level and fitness level of your average Super 14 is far superior to HEC.
#newbridgeornowhere

Bogball XV

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 27, 2009, 10:38:41 AM

I would to see a game the way Rugby League starts their season (Aussie Champs v English Champs) only have the Heineken Cup Winners v Super 14 Winners. If the game were to be taken serious it would be some spectacle.
Good idea, though fitting it into the calendar might be tough - the heineken winners would walk it though.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Bogball XV on March 27, 2009, 12:28:24 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 27, 2009, 10:38:41 AM

Good idea, though fitting it into the calendar might be tough - the heineken winners would walk it though.

i suppose that would depend on the referee, as dinny says its different rules more or less. couldnt see the tries that are scored on a super 14 weekend being scored against munster or leicester

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2009, 11:29:19 AM
Quotefor the likes of me who doesnt know half the rules i think its great entertainment

That's the key HH, it's aimed at the general population in SA, NZ and in particular Oz where they want to see tries, tries and more tries. However attendances at the games are falling, they couldn't even sell out the final last year. I'd sooner watch Currie Cup or NPC personally as I find Super 14 just too frustrating, however because it's played at such pace the skill level and fitness level of your average Super 14 is far superior to HEC.
There is a believe they want tries,tries and tries but the attendances say different.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

INDIANA

Dinny and Co will see on the upcoming Lions tour- that despite having played under different rules for the previous 6 months South Africa will demolish the Lions . You obviously don't watch much of it there are no worse games than the rubbish I've witnessed in the 6 Nations. At least in the SH they make an effort to run the ball at times rather than just kicking the ball back to each other.(badly)
The bottom line is the Super 14 is faster, more skillful and while I don't agree with the free kick rule there are still as many good games as the over-rated Magners League and glorified HEC. The reality is with the likes of Bryan Habana, Pierre Spies, Rokocoko ,Mortlock etc you'd be an idiot not to tune in now and again if you're a rugby fan. A point that will be re-iterated in June when the Lions get smashed.

Gnevin

Quote from: INDIANA on March 27, 2009, 01:13:39 PM
Dinny and Co will see on the upcoming Lions tour- that despite having played under different rules for the previous 6 months South Africa will demolish the Lions . You obviously don't watch much of it there are no worse games than the rubbish I've witnessed in the 6 Nations. At least in the SH they make an effort to run the ball at times rather than just kicking the ball back to each other.(badly)
The bottom line is the Super 14 is faster, more skillful and while I don't agree with the free kick rule there are still as many good games as the over-rated Magners League and glorified HEC. The reality is with the likes of Bryan Habana, Pierre Spies, Rokocoko ,Mortlock etc you'd be an idiot not to tune in now and again if you're a rugby fan. A point that will be re-iterated in June when the Lions get smashed.
In what way is the is the Magners overrated?

Some of us like to see structured rugby rather than aimless running . If I wanted that I'd watch league as  I said before.

Tankie

The Super 14 is a pile of shite, its more rugby league than rugby union at this stage. The Aussies are more worried about how rugby looks to people who are too lazy to learn the rules over the people who play and enjoy the game for the great game Rugby Union is.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Hoof Hearted

as i said, for someone who isnt a rugby purist like yourselves, its great to watch.
If you got someone into a room who hadnt watched much Rugby, let them watch the Crusaders v Sharks, then Glasgow v Connacht or Leinster v Edinburgh, what competition would they prefer ?
But i understand where yous are coming from.
As i said earlier, its worth tuning into for the cheerleaders alone ! Wouldnt get that in the RDS or Thomond !

FL/MAYO

What rule are they ignoring in Super 14? I was wondering why the games looked faster than those we see in Europe.

Dinny Breen

QuoteDinny and Co will see on the upcoming Lions tour- that despite having played under different rules for the previous 6 months South Africa will demolish the Lions .

Demolish, really? I love the hypebole. The Lions won't be demolished but I expect them to lose the series, South Arfica were brutal in the last Tri-nations and hardly set the world alight in the Autumn series. However the amalgamation of 4 teams into one doesn't work because they have so little time to prepare, South Africa badly coached as they are should have the edge as the games are played at the end of our season and in the middle of theirs.

Anyway I already stated that Super Rugby is quicker and more skillful but it's dumbed down rugby for the masses, I use to enjoy Super 14 but the ELV's and refereeing have made a mockery of it and it's just to frustrating to watch. Anyway Munster play Leinster in 2 weeks, if you want intensity in your sport watch that game rather than the  quite ridiculous intensity less Super 14. 
#newbridgeornowhere