Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: glens abu on March 26, 2009, 11:12:03 AM
Quote from: Minder on March 26, 2009, 10:11:06 AM
Quote from: corn02 on March 26, 2009, 10:08:51 AM
Quote from: glens abu on March 26, 2009, 09:50:23 AM
Quote from: corn02 on March 26, 2009, 09:14:09 AM
Am I alone in hating the man?

why do you hate him and even though you hate him do you not think he was a great manager and a one off.

He was a great manager, still don't like him though.

This quote did't sit well with me..

"I will always remain convinced that those Liverpool fans who died were killed by Liverpool people."
Brian Clough.

Also I think he was an arrogant gobshite of the highest order and a bully.

He reminds me of a current day Premier League manager

yeah Rafa and him both very single minded and stubborn also very good European managers but still think Clough was a better manager as Rafa still hasnt won the league but only time will tell,also you have to look at the clubs Clough had his success with.

Bit of a weird post. I don't see what Rafa has to do with it or why you brought him up.

But once again, i'll say again, I am not doubting his achievements one bit, I just didn't like him.

The Real Laoislad

Brian Clough was a great manager,what he done for Forest winning two European Cups with them is nothing short of amazing.
I go to the City Ground 2 or 3 times a year and its a shame to see a once great club in the bottom of the Championship,they have a great little ground with a brilliant atmosphere.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

glens abu

Quote from: corn02 on March 26, 2009, 11:34:49 AM

why do you hate him and even though you hate him do you not think he was a great manager and a one off.

"I will always remain convinced that those Liverpool fans who died were killed by Liverpool people."
Brian Clough.

[/color]
yeah Rafa and him both very single minded and stubborn also very good European managers but still think Clough was a better manager as Rafa still hasnt won the league but only time will tell,also you have to look at the clubs Clough had his success with.

Bit of a weird post. I don't see what Rafa has to do with it or why you brought him up.

But once again, i'll say again, I am not doubting his achievements one bit, I just didn't like him.

sorry the only reason I mentioned Rafa was he was compared with a present day manager

Main Street

I missed the documentary. I saw one in B/W made at the time He took the reign at Derby.
It was brilliant.
That interview/debate with Revie is good. It looks like Revie had a one dimension perspective on how to do things and that was the correct one.
Anybody really believe that Clough not meeting the tea lady on his first day at Leeds was determental to his relationship with the club?

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: T Fearon on March 26, 2009, 09:18:26 AM

I always thought though that Peter Taylor never got full credit for his influence on Clough.

Couldnt agree with that, the role of Taylor in Clough's career is very widely recognised.

The Damned United was a very good read. Looking forwarrd to seeing the film.

Hoof Hearted

recorded the show, hopefully watch it tonight
a legend in my eyes but as a forest fan i would say that.
Read "Provided you dont Kiss Me" and just started the Damned Utd on tuesday night.
My favourite quote was "If God had wanted football played in the air he would have put a pitch up there"
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

corn02

Quote from: glens abu on March 26, 2009, 11:39:33 AM
Quote from: corn02 on March 26, 2009, 11:34:49 AM

Brian Clough.

[/color]

sorry the only reason I mentioned Rafa was he was compared with a present day manager

Ah apologies, never saw the original bit.

corn02

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 26, 2009, 11:21:06 AM

corn - you are obv smarting from that comment clough made about liverpool fans killing liverpool fans. while I dont really see why, thats fair enough - its your opinion. Plenty of people said same and they were liverpool fans. It depends on the context and I cant see that clough was being malicious in any way.

still think that anyone who could see old clough interviews would warm to the guy.

Not really, didn't help mind.

I just think he was an absolute tool. If he was in the pub you wouldn;t be long getting tired of him talking shite.

He was cocky, arrogant, a bully and because he was a character we are all mant to bow at his feet?

T Fearon

Don't know about the money aspect and the validity of the  comparison with to-day. Shilton for example was widely reputed to be one of the top earners in football at Forest, so I would say Clough had similar resources as Liverpool or anyone else in those days, or at the very least the gap was no where near what its like to-day. His real skill was convincing players like Shilton to come on board, buying and turning the likes of Kenny Burns from hothead to top class footballer (no other manager would have touched him), bringing out the best in Robertson, getting the likes of Frank Clarke, Martin O'Neill, Needham etc to punch above their weight, prlonging the careers of Withe, Gemmill, Mc Govern and O'Hare,and developing talent like Viv Anderson, Woodcock, Birtles etc.

Surely Porto proved in 2004 its still possible for the so called "lesser" clubs to succeed.

PS I still remember Hoddle's top class winner ( a super volley) against the European Champions at White Hart Lane in 1979 ;D

corn02

While were on the subject and since he was mentioned - i don't like Martin ONeill either.

screenexile

Quote from: corn02 on March 26, 2009, 01:03:51 PM
While were on the subject and since he was mentioned - i don't like Martin ONeill either.

What did he say?!

Doogie Browser

Did he not pay for the coffee the last time you met him?

full back

Quote from: screenexile on March 26, 2009, 01:19:45 PM

What did he say?!

He didnt say anything, he gave Rafa a dirty look a few years ago
Shame on you MON  ;)

nrico2006

Not much is made of Cloughs career as a player, he had an unbelievable goal scoring record.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'