Dublin v Kerry

Started by INDIANA, March 24, 2009, 01:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

yeah, no ball grabbing pervs on those teams. Proper footballers and men.

Heard to my surprise there's a couple of fellas "light on their loafers" in the Kerry set-up.

Kerry Mike

Football Team News: Davoren debuts for Dubs
Pat Gilroy has made five changes to the Dublin starting line-up for the vital National League Division One clash with Kerry in Parnell Park on Sunday.

Mark Davoren, who starred for Kilmacud Crokes in their successful All-Ireland club campaign, is handed his league debut at full-forward.

Davoren's club team-mates, Paul Griffin and Darren Magee, are also given their first starts of the season, with Griffin named at centre-back and Magee given the chance to impress alongside Ross McConnell in a new-look midfield partnership.

Paddy Andrews, used by Gilroy as a defender in the league to date, is repatriated to the full-forward line, a role he is familiar with from club football and his involvement with the Dublin under-21s. Meanwhile, Paul Flynn is back from injury and starts at wing-forward after missing the draw with Mayo due to injury.

Barry Cahill, Ciaran Whelan, Blaine Kelly and Bernard Brogan are all rested as the Dublin management continue their rotational policy.

Dublin [SF v Kerry]: S. Cluxton (c); D. Henry, D. Bastick, A. Hubbard; B. Cullen, P. Griffin, G. Brennan; D. Magee, R. McConnell; D. Connolly, K. Bonner, P. Flynn; C. Keaney, M. Davoren, P. Andrews

rumours abound that Dublin's only All Ireland medal winner has walked out on Gillers panel !! Could be a boom boom moment.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

INDIANA

He's being "rested". You can draw your own conclusions!
Another experimental Dublin team. If Kerry put out their full whack could be a comphrehensive win for them.

Hound

Interesting that our three best players from this league campaign (albeit that's not saying a whole heap given the overall performances) have been rested for this one! Still, happy enough to see Andrews and Davoren get a chance up top, and will be interested to see how Griffin and Magee get on.

In addition to the 3 Crokes players named for Sunday, another 6 have been called into the squad - Cian O'Sullivan, Kevin Nolan, Mark Vaughan, Pat Burke, Liam Og O'hEineachain and Rory O'Carroll. However I thought Nolan had to go in for some sort of operation shortly and O'Carroll has said his primary loyalties will be with the hurlers.

INDIANA

Nolan is gone- shouldn't be any football for the time being- he risks permanent damage otherwise. He's cutting the squad next week to 33 . Hopefully Jack O Connor will go easy on us. Its a very disappointing selection for such a high profile match.

Kerry Mike

The taking it easy on the Dubs Team has been announced....

The Kerry team to play Dublin on Sunday next is as follows:
Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle)
Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin) Aidan O'Shea (Glenbeigh/Glencar) Tom O'Sullivan (Rathmore)
Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) Tommy Griffin (Dingle)
Seamus Scanlon (Currow) David Moran (Kerins O'Rahilly's)
Paul Galvin (Finuge) Tommy Walsh (Kerins O'Rahilly's) Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (Captain)
Colm Cooper Colm Cuipéir (Dr. Crokes) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)  Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary's)     

Fir Ionad:
Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds) Anthony Maher (Duagh)  Kieran Quirke (Duagh) Michéal Quirke (Kerins O'Rahilly's) Paul O'Connor (Kenmare)  Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) Maurice Corridan (Finuge) Kieran O'Leary (Dr. Crokes) and Seán O'Sullivan (Cromane)

The following players were not considered for selection due to injury: Donnacha Walsh, Tadhg Kennelly, Killian Young, Declan O'Sullivan and Marc Ó Sé.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Maguire01

Quote from: Kerry Mike on March 27, 2009, 06:10:56 PM
Colm Cooper Colm Cuipéir (Dr. Crokes)
Like New York - so good they named him twice.  :P

INDIANA

Quote from: Kerry Mike on March 27, 2009, 06:10:56 PM
The taking it easy on the Dubs Team has been announced....

The Kerry team to play Dublin on Sunday next is as follows:
Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle)
Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin) Aidan O'Shea (Glenbeigh/Glencar) Tom O'Sullivan (Rathmore)
Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) Tommy Griffin (Dingle)
Seamus Scanlon (Currow) David Moran (Kerins O'Rahilly's)
Paul Galvin (Finuge) Tommy Walsh (Kerins O'Rahilly's) Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (Captain)
Colm Cooper Colm Cuipéir (Dr. Crokes) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)  Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary's)     

Fir Ionad:
Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds) Anthony Maher (Duagh)  Kieran Quirke (Duagh) Michéal Quirke (Kerins O'Rahilly's) Paul O'Connor (Kenmare)  Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) Maurice Corridan (Finuge) Kieran O'Leary (Dr. Crokes) and Seán O'Sullivan (Cromane)

The following players were not considered for selection due to injury: Donnacha Walsh, Tadhg Kennelly, Killian Young, Declan O'Sullivan and Marc Ó Sé.

I'll bring my rosary beads. Only that I can't get to Tipp on sunday I'd be going to the hurlers. Have to hope the kerry lads want to visit the bright lights of Dublin City.

Zulu

Indiana is there any reason you keep posting that you're going to (or want to) watch the hurlers rather than the footballers each week? Anyway I've posted something similar on the Mayo thread but I think the Dublin lads are going overboard in their criticisms of their team but unlike Mayo, Dublin aren't short real quality up front so I think Dublin will go close again this year. If Griffin makes a decent fist of center back (which I doubt he will personally) and Andrews can produce in attack then things will begin to take shape for Dublin. I can't see the Dubs winning teh AI but that has as much to do with the quality of the opposition (Kerry, Tyrone, Cork & Derry in particular) as it has with any weaknesses they have themselves. They are certainly not anywhere near as bad as some have been suggesting around here. For the record I think Dublin will do well enough against Kerry this week, as will Mayo against Galway.

INDIANA

Zulu tell me the last game Dublin won against good opposition when missing the 2 brogans and Whelan. All being "rested". Crazy shit really.
The answer- they haven't. The ambivalence towards the league is quite extraordinary .
Most managers would put out a good side to play one of the best teams in the country. We "rest" players and give away the points. You've no idea how pissed off the fans are with this attitude and they will start voting with their feet soon. No-one went to Mayo last week to watch them. Ordinarily we'd fill Ballina on our own.
Extraordinary stuff really.

Zulu

Indiana Dublin have come up just short over the past 4-5 years and I think Gilroy is trying to find the 2 or 3 players that might make the difference, so he is experimenting heavily and I think he is right to do so. Whelan has been poor any time I've seen him this year so leaving him out is no great loss this weekend IMO, I can understand the frustration of fans at the moment but I think Gilroy is doing the right thing by giving new lads their chance. He now knows for example that Henry needs to be corner back and Ger Brennan won't do at center back, Connolly is also beginning to show his undoubted talent. To be honest I'd be quietly hopeful of a good summer if I were a Dub, in fact Kerry would be the only team I'd truly worry about.

INDIANA

Zulu putting Henry corner back isn't breaking news. Connolly is like the weather in terms of performances - very gifted but totally unreliable. Just never know with him- even at club level I would be more confident Zulu if he was using guys who were good enough. But some of these newer guys aren't. IN told Dublin aren't good enough anyway- but our league performances have been crap for 15 years  now. There is a level of arrogance within Dublin from a previous era and thinking you are better than you are is the most dangerous mindset of all.

Zulu

QuoteZulu putting Henry corner back isn't breaking news

No but he was tried at wing forward and that wasn't a great success so I'd say he has now 2 of his FB line filled - Bastick and Henry, which isn't bad. Brennan will have the rest of the league to nail down wing back or he'll be dropped altogether as he can't do the job at center back. Connolly is hot and cold I'll grant you but I'd persist and maybe even play a third midfielder to reduce his need to track back, along with the 2 Brogans and Keaney you'd have the firepower to trouble the best. I suppose we could go back and forth here for the day but I do feel you Dublin lads are being overly pessimistic and I think you have enough to improve on recent years.

Mid Down Gael

Whats the current situation with the legendary Dara OSe? miss watching this legend of a man.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: INDIANA on March 28, 2009, 08:36:30 AM
Zulu tell me the last game Dublin won against good opposition when missing the 2 brogans and Whelan. All being "rested". Crazy shit really.
The answer- they haven't. The ambivalence towards the league is quite extraordinary .
Most managers would put out a good side to play one of the best teams in the country. We "rest" players and give away the points. You've no idea how pissed off the fans are with this attitude and they will start voting with their feet soon. No-one went to Mayo last week to watch them. Ordinarily we'd fill Ballina on our own.
Extraordinary stuff really.

Gaa fans can be very short sighted. I don't know much about Gilroy but now is not the time to judge him. Plenty of managers have put little into the league and come up with All Ireland winning teams. Did Armagh get relegated in Joe Kernans first year when they went onto the All Ireland? Gilroy is obviously focusing solely on the championship is this is what he will obviously be judged on. Surely your not going to judge him on the league? He's there to stay so give the man a chance.