Rugby In Ireland - Sky's the Limit?

Started by Tankie, March 23, 2009, 09:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aroundincircles

Do you know what chance a dyed in the wool republicans son from coalisland area would have off playing for dungannon???

aroundincircles

aroundincircles

Things have changed around the gannon then.

Gnevin

Quote from: aroundincircles on March 23, 2009, 11:20:58 PM
I dont think rugby has a chance in ulster either.
Have you told the 9,000 average who attend Ulster matches?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

aroundincircles

Quote from: Gnevin on March 23, 2009, 11:31:37 PM
Quote from: aroundincircles on March 23, 2009, 11:20:58 PM
I dont think rugby has a chance in ulster either.
Have you told the 9,000 average who attend Ulster matches?

Was talking grassroot level..

Tankie

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 23, 2009, 11:25:54 PM
Quote from: Tankie on March 23, 2009, 11:17:26 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 23, 2009, 11:02:36 PM
Quote from: Tankie on March 23, 2009, 10:52:28 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 23, 2009, 10:39:06 PM
Quote from: Tankie on March 23, 2009, 10:13:53 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 23, 2009, 10:09:46 PM
Quote from: Tankie on March 23, 2009, 09:58:04 PM
In work today and there was nothing but rugby being discussed, Ireland are the grand slam champions and there is a possibility of an All Ireland Heino Cup Semi Final taking place in Croker in front of 83k Irish people. The game on Saturday has and average audience of 945k and peaked at 1.2m viewers.

Is there a possibility that Rugby will take over like soccer did in the 1990's and challenge soccer and GAA for the number 1 or 2 slot in Irish sport? What do people think?

All it shows is how the Irish like to jump on a bandwaggon. It happens every year in the gaa when a county does well. The only problem for rugby similar to the Irish soccer team is that Ireland/Munster wont do well every year.

There is a huge difference between rugby and soccer in the fact that Ireland/Munster/Leinster/Connacht/Ulster are actually Irish and play in Ireland - this has been one of the biggest success drivers of the GAA and could be what drives rugby forward.

My point was the current popularity has been built on the success of a few teams. Once Ireland go back down the pecking order a lot of the current support will die away. Same happened soccer with the Ireland soccer team. In the early 90's the talk was soccer would destroy the gaa, it didnt happen and in my opinion rugby wont destroy it either or take over from it.

I'm not sure how thins one will go, soccer never had any support at home so it was always going to drop in popularity s people do not feel connected. People in Munster are very much connected to Munster and Leinster has grown from an average attendance of around 2k in 2003 to around 16.5k now with 10k season ticket holders, that type of support generally does not dwindle away over night. The biggest challenge for Irish rugby will be the recession as it is a professional game in this country and need money to compete in Europe.

If there is a HEino Cup semi - final in Croker between leinster and munster I think the country will be ruby mad in the run upto after this and that has a serious affect on kids, just take a look at Hardstations example.

If its going to have such an effect on children I guess as a gaa supporter you'll be hoping the match doesnt happen then?

Not a chance I think this will be a great day for Irish sport.

Just to clarify is gaa your number one sport? If so its a bit strange that you would want a match taking place that you believe could help rugby become the biggest game in the country. Personally I dont think it will have as big an impact as you make out. A month or 2 later up to 80,000 Irish men will fill Croke Park for a Dublin Meath 1st round game and there will be big crowds around the country at Cork/Kerry,Tyrone/Armagh,Monaghan/Derry games and many more.

What is it about people having a number one sports in this country, can kids not go out and play all sports and just for the fun of it and choose latter in life what game they may want to play or maybe they could be crazy and play 2 or 3 sports in their teens.

Yes gaa is huge in my life but i would love to see Leinster win a Heineken Cup just as much as I would love to see Dublin win Sam - and there are many members of my club that would feel the same way. I really dont se why I or people should have to choose and I would love to see rugby get bigger in this country but it doesnt have to be at the expense of the GAA.
Grand Slam Saturday!

ludermor

Quote from: Tankie on March 23, 2009, 11:34:30 PM
What is it about people having a number one sports in this country, can kids not go out and play all sports and just for the fun of it and choose latter in life what game they may want to play or maybe they could be crazy and play 2 or 3 sports in their teens.

Yes gaa is huge in my life but i would love to see Leinster win a Heineken Cup just as much as I would love to see Dublin win Sam - and there are many members of my club that would feel the same way. I really dont se why I or people should have to choose and I would love to see rugby get bigger in this country but it doesnt have to be at the expense of the GAA.

For the first time ever i agree with what Tankie has said above.
Im away to have a good wash.

Donagh

Quote from: hardstation on March 23, 2009, 11:29:37 PM
Yes.

Not directly relevant as they're not from Dungannon but I remember reading Kevin Barry and DeValera were both rugby players and I think in Munster there was a battalion of IRA men that came from a rugby club.

Hereiam

Will never accept Irish rugby until the rightful national anthem is played at all matches and not that excuse of a song. The only thing it shows is that this island can be seen as a united one when north and south can in some way support the one Irish team.  If they could do away with the N.I soccer team and play under the one jersey then who knows what could happen.

Tyrone Dreamer

In work today and there was nothing but rugby being discussed, Ireland are the grand slam champions and there is a possibility of an All Ireland Heino Cup Semi Final taking place in Croker in front of 83k Irish people. The game on Saturday has and average audience of 945k and peaked at 1.2m viewers.

Is there a possibility that Rugby will take over like soccer did in the 1990's and challenge soccer and GAA for the number 1 or 2 slot in Irish sport? What do people think?

All it shows is how the Irish like to jump on a bandwaggon. It happens every year in the gaa when a county does well. The only problem for rugby similar to the Irish soccer team is that Ireland/Munster wont do well every year.

There is a huge difference between rugby and soccer in the fact that Ireland/Munster/Leinster/Connacht/Ulster are actually Irish and play in Ireland - this has been one of the biggest success drivers of the GAA and could be what drives rugby forward.

My point was the current popularity has been built on the success of a few teams. Once Ireland go back down the pecking order a lot of the current support will die away. Same happened soccer with the Ireland soccer team. In the early 90's the talk was soccer would destroy the gaa, it didnt happen and in my opinion rugby wont destroy it either or take over from it.

I'm not sure how thins one will go, soccer never had any support at home so it was always going to drop in popularity s people do not feel connected. People in Munster are very much connected to Munster and Leinster has grown from an average attendance of around 2k in 2003 to around 16.5k now with 10k season ticket holders, that type of support generally does not dwindle away over night. The biggest challenge for Irish rugby will be the recession as it is a professional game in this country and need money to compete in Europe.

If there is a HEino Cup semi - final in Croker between leinster and munster I think the country will be ruby mad in the run upto after this and that has a serious affect on kids, just take a look at Hardstations example.

If its going to have such an effect on children I guess as a gaa supporter you'll be hoping the match doesnt happen then?

Just to clarify is gaa your number one sport? If so its a bit strange that you would want a match taking place that you believe could help rugby become the biggest game in the country. Personally I dont think it will have as big an impact as you make out. A month or 2 later up to 80,000 Irish men will fill Croke Park for a Dublin Meath 1st round game and there will be big crowds around the country at Cork/Kerry,Tyrone/Armagh,Monaghan/Derry games and many more.

I'm a bit confused. You were the one who brought the number 1 sport in the country up in the original posted in the thread. You then made out that the Leinster Munster rugby game could have a huge impact on kids and implied it could help rugby become number one sport. My point was simply if your a gaa fan why would you want to see another sport take over in Ireland.

imtommygunn

The two things about rugby that may mean it never makes it quite as big are the class thing and religion in the north. Unfortunately while the latter isn't as big an issue now it will impede it being developed in schools. How can catholic schools teach rugby when none of the teachers ever played? Ok they can but to what sort of level...

I'd love to have played it at school to be honest.

Tankie

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 23, 2009, 11:43:08 PM

I'm a bit confused. You were the one who brought the number 1 sport in the country up in the original posted in the thread. You then made out that the Leinster Munster rugby game could have a huge impact on kids and implied it could help rugby become number one sport. My point was simply if your a gaa fan why would you want to see another sport take over in Ireland.

Well i dont think that Rugby will ever take over GAA but i really do think it could challenge soccer. you are looking at it very black or white but the may reason for my post was a discussion about will Rugby popularity explode like soccer did in the 90's but I think rugby has a chance of lasting as our best players still play in Ireland so people can feel apart of the team they support - like inter country teams.

But as i have said on many threads on this board I think kids should play all sports and not be made choose a sport by their parents.
Grand Slam Saturday!

INDIANA

Hasn't a hope Tankie. Not everyone can play it. When someone from Neilstown plays for Leinster I'll start to get worried -until then We'll be fine.

Tankie

Quote from: INDIANA on March 24, 2009, 12:15:13 AM
Hasn't a hope Tankie. Not everyone can play it. When someone from Neilstown plays for Leinster I'll start to get worried -until then We'll be fine.

You mean someone like this guy? right he may not play for leinster but I was shocked reading this - Aguy born and raised in Ballymun flats playing rugby.....

QuoteAn Irishman's Diary
Dean King: the Ballymun-born teenage star of Unidare RFC is off to New Zealand later this month on a rugby scholarshipDean King: the Ballymun-born teenage star of Unidare RFC is off to New Zealand later this month on a rugby scholarship
Frank McNally

THE Ballymun flats have never been one of the heartlands of Leinster rugby, I think it's fair to say. The schools cup has rarely set pulses racing in those parts. The problem of how you might rock the 'Rock, in the unlikely event of such an opportunity arising, has not detained the locals unduly.

But bastions are falling everywhere these days. Not even Ballymun and Leinster rugby are mutually immune. A former GAA player from Louth – God help us – is currently holding down the full-back spot, not just for Leinster, but for Ireland too. And although Ballymun is a much more distant outpost than that, except in purely geographical terms, who's to say it couldn't be next? Enter Dean King. Or, in the short term, exit. The teenager is pure Ballymun: born 19 years ago into an eight-storey block of flats in a suburb synonymous with poverty and deprivation. But his unlikely love affair with rugby will take him to New Zealand at the end of this month, on an even more unlikely scholarship.

Courtesy of a link-up between his club, Unidare RFC, and the New Zealand Ireland Association (NZIA), the teenager will spend six months in the home of rugby, playing for an outfit in Waikato province, North Island. Unidare hopes exposure to the soil that grows All-Blacks might rub off on him too. He hopes it will further his long-term ambition: to play professionally for Leinster.

At the very least, it promises to be another fruitful chapter in a life that could have been wasted. King had not yet been born when, in 1987, Bono sang: "I see seven towers but I only see one way out". Soon afterwards, however, he was getting a much closer view of the towers than Bono ever had, and of all the problems that went with them.

Full article:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0311/1224242658382.html
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tim Buzaglo

Lads, Rugby or any other sport should not be viewed as a threat.  I take pleasure in the growth of any sport in the country

I love it when we beat the aussies in the international rules
I loved it when we won the grandslam
I love it when a new irish kid who looks like he's the next big thing breaks through in the premiership
I loved Germany, USA 94 and Japan/South Korea
I loved it when Ireland beat Pakistan in the cricket world cup
I loved it Bernard Dunne became our latest world champion on Saturday night
I loved Harrington taking on the world on the biggest stages for the last two years
I loved watching an Irish sprinter making it to the Olympic semi finals
I loved watching O'Sullivan take on the Africans against all odds
I loved watching Michelle Smith win 3 golds (I now despise her)
I loved watching Lord Clifton Wrottesley III slide down the hill on a tray just because he was wearing green
I loved watching Ulster win the European Cup in 1999

Call me a band wagoner or claim that by supporting these other sports I am supporting the downfall of the GAA.  My God, Croke park has now hosted about 10 'foreign sports' games and we're still alive! (Despite the protestations of the Ulster Council and the rest of the peak cap brigade that are scattered around the country).

Its 2009, the GAA is so intertwined into the culture and mindset of our country that there can never be any threat.  It's simply not possible.  

There are 3 times more people in Australia than there are in Ireland - It is not a particularly highly populated country.  However, they compete at the very highest level in so many sports.  This is what we should aspire to!
Will we ever see another one?