Rugby In Ireland - Sky's the Limit?

Started by Tankie, March 23, 2009, 09:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

In work today and there was nothing but rugby being discussed, Ireland are the grand slam champions and there is a possibility of an All Ireland Heino Cup Semi Final taking place in Croker in front of 83k Irish people. The game on Saturday has and average audience of 945k and peaked at 1.2m viewers.

Is there a possibility that Rugby will take over like soccer did in the 1990's and challenge soccer and GAA for the number 1 or 2 slot in Irish sport? What do people think?
Grand Slam Saturday!

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

ziggysego

No-one was talking about it at work today Tankie. Instead we were talking about Tyrone's chances of staying up in Division 1 next year and what our chances are in the Championship this year.

I've no doubt that Rugby will grow in popularity on the back of Ireland's success in the 6 Nations, but I cannot see it challenging the GAA as Ireland number one sport.
Testing Accessibility

Gnevin

I doubt anything will ever challenge Gaelic Games for number 1 or 2 spot but I think 3rd is up for grabs for sure.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ExiledGael

Had a rugby lover tell me yesterday that this was the GAA "f**ked" as he put it. Was speaking to him lunchtime and he predicted the half of Dublin would be out to greet the team, "maybe even half a million".
17,500 at the very most, Jesus there was more people at each of the last 3 Fermanagh Championship games I've been at.

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on March 23, 2009, 10:03:44 PM
I doubt anything will ever challenge Gaelic Games for number 1 or 2 spot but I think 3rd is up for grabs for sure.

hold on there now Gnevin, i dont think GAA can claim 1 and 2, GAA as a whole can claim 1 but separately i think soccer could be bigger if GAA is broken up into Hurling and Football.

I do think rugby can make some serious in roads this year, especially if LEinster and Munster meet in the Heino Cup Semi - Finial in Croker.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: ExiledGael on March 23, 2009, 10:06:21 PM
Had a rugby lover tell me yesterday that this was the GAA "f**ked" as he put it. Was speaking to him lunchtime and he predicted the half of Dublin would be out to greet the team, "maybe even half a million".
17,500 at the very most, Jesus there was more people at the last 3 Fermanagh Championship games I've been at.

Was suprised at the low turnout, imagine if Dublin had won the All Ireland the day before how many would have turned up. Even when Tyrone won the All Ireland in 03 60,000 turned up in Omagh.

comethekingdom

Hope that rugby takes over from soccer as soccer is pure dung compared to the technical, physical and disipline skills displayed by rugby players. Theres no fear of rugby taking over from our beloved GAA as a large quantity of Rugby fans are No. 1 GAA fans already.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Tankie on March 23, 2009, 09:58:04 PM
In work today and there was nothing but rugby being discussed, Ireland are the grand slam champions and there is a possibility of an All Ireland Heino Cup Semi Final taking place in Croker in front of 83k Irish people. The game on Saturday has and average audience of 945k and peaked at 1.2m viewers.

Is there a possibility that Rugby will take over like soccer did in the 1990's and challenge soccer and GAA for the number 1 or 2 slot in Irish sport? What do people think?

All it shows is how the Irish like to jump on a bandwaggon. It happens every year in the gaa when a county does well. The only problem for rugby similar to the Irish soccer team is that Ireland/Munster wont do well every year.

Gnevin

Quote from: Tankie on March 23, 2009, 10:07:42 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on March 23, 2009, 10:03:44 PM

hold on there now Gnevin, i dont think GAA can claim 1 and 2, GAA as a whole can claim 1 but separately i think soccer could be bigger if GAA is broken up into Hurling and Football.

I do think rugby can make some serious in roads this year, especially if LEinster and Munster meet in the Heino Cup Semi - Finial in Croker.
it depends how you define it . In terms of attendance GAA are 1 and 2 .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tyrone Dreamer

I know people get caught up in the excitement of Irelands success but do people really think its a good game? I always find it very scrappy and hard to understand.

Tankie

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 23, 2009, 10:09:46 PM
Quote from: Tankie on March 23, 2009, 09:58:04 PM

All it shows is how the Irish like to jump on a bandwaggon. It happens every year in the gaa when a county does well. The only problem for rugby similar to the Irish soccer team is that Ireland/Munster wont do well every year.

There is a huge difference between rugby and soccer in the fact that Ireland/Munster/Leinster/Connacht/Ulster are actually Irish and play in Ireland - this has been one of the biggest success drivers of the GAA and could be what drives rugby forward.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 23, 2009, 10:11:34 PM
I know people get caught up in the excitement of Irelands success but do people really think its a good game? I always find it very scrappy and hard to understand.

40,000  + consider it a good enough game to have season tickets.

imtommygunn

Rugby's been going well for quite a few years now. The heineken cup is raising it's profile.

It's like anything else though - it's only prevolent in certain areas. If you were to map out the rugby clubs in Ireland you'd see large gaps without clubs. You'd not see this in GAA or soccer.

I like watching the international rugby. There's 2 clubs within ~40 miles proximity of where I'm from though. Can't profess to knowing all the rules yet though...

Tankie

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 23, 2009, 10:11:34 PM

Its a great game, but its like every game - if you dont know the rules how can you understand it?
Grand Slam Saturday!