Ulster Club Championships

Started by hows she cutting, November 10, 2006, 02:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glens73

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2006, 09:33:40 AM
Cushendall 1-15 Kevin Lynch's 1-7

Cushendall deserving winners in a somewhat flattering scoreline, but they were obviously the better side.

Not flattering at all according to this Lynchboy and from the reports I heard on the game. Dungiven obviously blew their chance the first day.

From independent.ie
Cushendall crush Lynch's to take Ulster club crown

Cushendall 1-15

Kevin Lynch's 1-7

Ulster Club SHC Final Replay

ANTRIM champions Cushendall celebrated their centenary year as they cruised to victory over Derry counterparts Kevin Lynch's in the Ulster Club SHC Final Replay at Casement Park yesterday.

Kevin Lynch's raced into a two-point lead inside two minutes through Kieran and Kevin Hinphey. Aidan Delargy pointed a Cushendall free but immediately Geoffrey McGonigle hit back with two pointed frees for the Dungiven side.

The tables turned in Cushendall's favour in the 19th minute when Emmett McNaughton raced in for a goal, to which the Antrim champions added four unanswered points to lead by 1-6 to 0-5 at the break.

It was all Cushendall in the second half, and though Kevin Lynch's managed a goal from Geoffrey McGonigle two minutes from time, the score flattered the Derry champions.

6th sam

Though It is a scientific fact that alcohol has a detrimental effect on performance,I find the behaviour of "the gael" on this site reprehensible.To comment on the drinking habits of individuals/teams on this forum is scandalous.Drink has for a long time been the excuse wheeled out for any defeat by Hurlers on the ditch like "the Gael",in the absence of any  meaningful and mature analysis.
If Ross and the lads get beaten next year,at any stage,I eagerly await "the gael's" intelligent and rational  comments on the reason for defeat.
It would serve us better to explore why Down team's have consistently failed to perform at Senior county and Ulster club SFC,IFC,JFC levels.Personally,I feel the Down club league structure and playoff system may be one reason for our lack of success.Another,is that over the past 10 years we in Down,in general,have not embraced a committment to coaching at all levels with the same vigour as Tyrone,Armagh,Derry.Finally,I feel the constant living in the past,and misplaced arrogance has not served us well in recent years.
I have confidence Ross and the lads will do their bit,but county board need to realise that the management of the county senior team is only one piece of the jigsaw.There needs to be a root and branch analysis of why we are currently enduring the most barren time in recent Down history.

SlimShady

f**k sake lads, can you not see that this burk is a wind up merchant?!  ::)

maxpower

i wouldn't be too surprised guillem2 if the dall do put one over loughrea (i take it they beat athleague yesterday).  Loughrea have never been to a all ireland semi final before, training through the winter and preparing for a match in february isn't as easy as preparing for summer hurling.  Most of this cushedendall team have done it before and ran St josephs doora barefield very close. 

Loughrea don't look to be the best team ever to come out of connaught, certainly if reports they had to bully portumna out of it are to be believed.  cushendall will have more experience and should match them for fire in the belly.  I think it'll be a tight game with possibly a small shock

What happens next????

johnneycool

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2006, 09:33:40 AM
Cushendall 1-15 Kevin Lynch's 1-7

Ref was poor, and he was lucky that there were no flashpoints and it was a free flowing enough game.

I can imagine if he was in charge the previous week, both sides would have ended up with just the keepers playing.

More interested in booking guys for questioning his decisions than knoing the actual rules.
This guy cannot be high in the Down refereeing charts ?

I did warn you Lynchboy, he's a picky bollocks and to frighten you even more, I thought he had one of his better days yesterday.
I always get the feeling he's never in control of a game and as you say, just as well it was a more freeflowing game. At one point yesterday he blew the whistle for a bit of a robust challenge between two lads and he didn't initially signal who the free was for until he made his way over to the incident then he pointed and somewhat to the surprise of a lot of people. This lack of decisiveness really riles players and spectators alike and it's something he's really bad at. He's also inclined to make the odd rule of his own up as well, one handed swinging is not a free as he seems to think it is.

He gets a lot of big games based the sheer volume of games he does in any given year, he must be out nearly every night refereeing hurling in Down, the UHL and in Antrim as well as a load of camogie games as well.

6th sam

I know he's a wind up merchant,but I never miss an opportunity for a rant!

lynchbhoy

Cant blame the ref though
he wasnt great but Cushendall were worthy winners yesterday.
I just take exception to the margin of victory (though it could have been more)
and as you say - some of those decisions were mind boggling !

Thanks for the info - you will have noticed that KL team didnt fight or get involved nearly as much as the previous day -
they were warned from someone about the ref and then checked him out !

I actually met the ref on his way out of the park , driving his car with a few other Ulster tracksuited 'officials' I'd say they were.
I said hello and rather than abuse him (which gets no one nowhere- esp as this guy is a volunteer like the rest of us), I asked him how did he think Down would do next season.
Think his muttered answer was ' dont know'.

Best of luck to the Cushendall side in the AI semi

lynchbhoy

Quote from: johnneycool on November 13, 2006, 09:10:32 AM
Dungiven were too laboured in their hurling, rising the ball was a slow exercise for some of their players and were easily blocked or hooked by their opponents. Big Geoffrey was unlucky with his kicked effort in the first half then berated poor Deccy for not giving him a free. He may of had a point but Deccy would of been the worst in the world if he'd of blown a free for Dungiven with the bold Geoffry goal bound. A no win situation for Deccy.

Where to now for Dungiven: A spell in a competitive Antrim ACHL would tidy their hurling up no end, the will seems to be there but I doubt if the structures in Derry are conducive to allow the likes of Banagher and the Lynches compete in Antrim and football fixtures not be affected.

Completely agree with you JC
KL seem to be way behind the likes of Cushendall in terms of getting the ball lifted and control of it .

Also , playing in the Antrim league would hugely benefit KL & Banagher.

I dont think the football fixtures would prove to be too much of a problem for KL as most of their dual players have more or less given up the big ball game now to concentrate on Hurling.
Only Liam Hinphey and Cathal McKeever will be looking like they might be on the footbal panel, and I am not sure whether Hinphey wants to stay on it.

brokencrossbar1

I didn't get to see th Cross game but on all the reports that I have read they seemed to be a cut above Mullahorn.  What was very interesting from my point of view was that of the staring 15 and the subs that came on, only 4 have been involved in all the AI, with only Donaldson and Clarke being the only additions who are near or over the 30 mark.  9 of the team are under 25 and 2 of the subs that came on are 22-23.    They might find it harder against the more established teams like Errigal or Ballinderry but I hope they can keep the run going.

bennydorano

I hear Aaron Kernan's arm is broken after yesterday.

full back

Was at the game bc.Correct in saying Cross were better, but Mullahorn didnt look that good to be honest-just a very average Ulster club side.Cross will again be hard to beat esp at this time of year and with Oisin looking good you lot will give Ballinderry or Errigal a brave run for their money

hows she cutting

Quote from: SlimShady on November 10, 2006, 03:24:57 PM
Errigal are in for a treat in their game with Gregory 'i need to be noticed' Walsh in charge!

Never a truer word spoken Slim.
Was at the game, awful performance from the man "in charge"

Some of his decisions were unbelievable.
1st half -
Errigal centre half back is pushed to the ground after releasing the ball, he is then kneed on by Gaels half back No.7 (Keenen I think could be wrong). Result of this, yellow cards for both players
Errigal CHB caught with a very late elbow by Gaels FF after releasing ball, ref waves play on but then when called back by umpires he only issues a yellow card.
Errigal sub Daisy Mc Dermott booked for rash challenge (i will come back to this)
EC full back C Mc Ginley yellow card for a straight forward tussle with Gaels forward rushing onto ball, neither player fouled or ending up on ground.
EC corner forward Mc Cann wins free, Gaels MF T Brewster then floors him with shoulder after whistle has gone, no action by ref. Mc Cann had to be replaced a few mins later with what looked like shoulder or collar bone trouble.

2nd Half
Daisy Mc Dermott yellow card, all in crowd realised it was his second. Mr Walsh didn't.
Very handy free awarded to EC half back when right in front of posts and ran out of steam, looked like he fell in to Gaels defender.
Tom Brewster after reappearing at corner forward catches a mighty ball in last 5 mins right in front of Errigal posts. Result - free out

I thought it was a typical Ulster club championship game, hard football without much quality. God again the difference, 1 point from play was fantastic.

Will be interesting to see how his brother Joe approaches the semi-final, he is training Ballinderry since the start of the year i believe.

Guillem2

Congratulaions to Clooney Gaels who made it a clean sweep for Antrim Clubs in the Ulster hurling championships with a win in the replayed final yesterday. Clooney Gaels 014 1-08 Strabane Shamrocks.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

BallyhaiseMan

Surely Enniskillen will put in an objection over the result seeing as Daisy McDermott should have been sent off....  ???

bingobus

Anyone at the Cargin/Clontibret game?

Heard it got real nasty near the end and was held up for 9 minutes following a slapping match which saw the Cargin keeper get a red and two clontibret players taken to Hospital.

And not an Aussie in sight! Should be an interesting replay next week.