Grand Slam Match

Started by Lecale2, March 15, 2009, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

The championship is a consolation prize in my opinion. Its the Grand Slam that matters.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 16, 2009, 06:03:11 PM
Quote from: passedit on March 16, 2009, 04:16:10 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on March 16, 2009, 03:45:16 PM
and will be rewarded with the Triple Crown for doing so while Ireland will win the 6 Nations.  I wonder which they'd prefer?

They obviously don't care that much as they passed up on the chance to accumulate a points advantage by playing their second string against Italy. I'd say the Ireland players' demeanour if they lose next Saturday will tell the tale. Hopefully it won't come to that.
If they didn't care that much against Italy, then logic would surely dictate that they won't be bothered at all against Ireland either.
Actually, I'd say that the opposite holds true.
They cared enough about the Ireland game to risk putting a substandard side out against the Italians and nearly paid the price. Remember there is only one week between the Italian and Irish games and Wales figured the Italians would be beaten without any bother and as many as possible of the first team members would be rested for the big one against Ireland.
It nearly backfired and if it did Warren Gatland would be in hiding since.
Make no mistake about it; the Grand Slam is what it's all about.
If you look at the hype in the papers and on TV that is building up, you will see that nobody gives a second thought to topping the Championship table.
Wales can't win the Grand Slam but they don't want us to do so either, so it will be one heck of a contest.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Lecale2 on March 16, 2009, 08:49:16 PM
The championship is a consolation prize in my opinion. Its the Grand Slam that matters.

Maybe if your France or England who win championships fairly regularly. Ireland haven't been 6 nations champions for 24 years.

Only reason the Grand Slam is a big deal is because Ireland haven't done it since 1949.