Grand Slam Match

Started by Lecale2, March 15, 2009, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

I was a bit arse about elbow in my analogy, thanks for sorting it for me Benny, :)
Testing Accessibility

tyroneboi

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 16, 2009, 01:18:05 PM
Quote from: tyroneboi on March 16, 2009, 01:04:10 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 15, 2009, 11:27:23 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 15, 2009, 11:21:51 PM
A bit like being knocked out of the Ulster Championship, but going on to win the All-Ireland Championship. Been nice with the Ulster Championship, but doesn't take away from winning the All-Ireland.

Don't think that's really the right analogy as the Grand Slam is more prestigous than the championship alone. Will be a huge dissapointment if they lose to Wales no matter what the score. Remember how deflated England were after we beat in 2001, championship or no championship. The fact that Wales have to go chasing the game will play into Ireland hands though, just as it aided Wales when Ireland went to Cardiff a few years back needing a big win to take the title.

Think it happened England again in Scotland a couple of years ago. They lost the match but won the championship and they didnt even go up to collect the trophy such was their disappointment. It will be the same with Ireland if that situation happens.

I think you might have the timeline messed up. England's last 6 Nations title was 2003 and they won all their games that year.

I'm sure the Irish lads would be disappointed if they don't win on Saturday but I think they would get over it quick enough if they were about to be presented with the 6 Nations trophy. No fear they wouldn't bother collecting it. It's not really comparable with England who had won championships already but wanted a Grand Slam. The Irish players don't even have a championship medal to their name. If they get one next weekend they will soon get over the disappointment of not getting the slam.

Hopefully we won't have to worry about maths though. Just win the game and they'll get both.

Sorry it was actually back in 2000 in the first six nations when England were on for the Grand Slam only to beaten by Scotland on the final day. Just remembered it to be back in those years were England had quite a few near misses before evenutally landing the Grand Slam in 2003. Could be something similar with Ireland this year after so many near misses themselves.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: balladmaker on March 16, 2009, 01:36:53 PM
It's Grand Slam or nothing...the Six Nations title will matter little if Ireland don't beat Wales.

Nonsense.

As if Ireland can afford to turn their nose up at a 6 Nations title when they haven't won one since 1985. The Grand Slam is just the cherry on the cake.

passedit

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 16, 2009, 03:02:14 PM
It's Grand Slam or nothing...the Six Nations title will matter little if Ireland don't beat Wales.

Nonsense.

As if Ireland can afford to turn their nose up at a 6 Nations title when they haven't won one since 1985. The Grand Slam is just the cherry on the cake.

Wales fielding a second string against Italy takes any value (if there was any) out of winning the championship. Remember this points difference nonsense is a very recent phenomenon. If Wales beat Ireland by a point on saturday they'll have had a better campaign than Ireland no matter what the table says.
Don't Panic

Over the Bar

QuoteIf Wales beat Ireland by a point on saturday they'll have had a better campaign than Ireland no matter what the table says.

How will they have had a better campaign since they lost to France? 

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: passedit on March 16, 2009, 03:08:54 PM

Nonsense.

Wales fielding a second string against Italy takes any value (if there was any) out of winning the championship. Remember this points difference nonsense is a very recent phenomenon. If Wales beat Ireland by a point on saturday they'll have had a better campaign than Ireland no matter what the table says.

How do you work that out?

Plus it wasn't quite a Wales second string that played Italy. They still had half their first-choice out. It's like saying because Declan Kidney made 4 changes to play Scotland that Ireland put a weakened team out. It's a squad game.

I can't actually believe any Irish rugby fan would question the value of winning the 6 nations. Does that make every 6 nations championship not won with a Grand Slam null and void?

passedit

Their seconds beat Italy, they played much better against Scotland and England than Ireland did, we all know that France home and away are completely different beasts, and of course they'll have beaten Ireland.
Don't Panic

Canalman

Jeez, there would be some amount of dribble written/broadcasted if they won "the Grand Slam." FFS, they will be portrayed as having lifted the country out of the recession...etc etc .....yakkedy yak!
Personally, don't care if they win or lose.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Canalman on March 16, 2009, 03:30:04 PM
Jeez, there would be some amount of dribble written/broadcasted if they won "the Grand Slam." FFS, they will be portrayed as having lifted the country out of the recession...etc etc .....yakkedy yak!
Personally, don't care if they win or lose.

Thank you for sharing that with us.

Over the Bar

QuoteTheir seconds beat Italy

I do not recall seeing any reference to them fielding an A or B side.

Quotethey played much better against Scotland and England than Ireland did, .

I what sports do you get additional credit/ points for playing well?

Quotewe all know that France home and away are completely different beasts, .

Yes like every team they play better at home than away. So what?

Quoteand of course they'll have beaten Ireland.

and will be rewarded with the Triple Crown for doing so while Ireland will win the 6 Nations.  I wonder which they'd prefer?

thejuice

Well if they cant win the Grand Slam, they should at least get the Triple Crown  ;)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

BennyHarp

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 16, 2009, 03:26:09 PM

Nonsense.

Plus it wasn't quite a Wales second string that played Italy. They still had half their first-choice out. It's like saying because Declan Kidney made 4 changes to play Scotland that Ireland put a weakened team out. It's a squad game.

I can't actually believe any Irish rugby fan would question the value of winning the 6 nations. Does that make every 6 nations championship not won with a Grand Slam null and void?

I wouldn't question the value of winning the six nations at all - and if ireland had lost a game along the way and where in a play-off with Wales with only the championship at stake then it would be a brilliant achievement- just as i'm sure wales would celebrate winning the championship if they beat ireland by the requried points on saturday! But having gotten themselves into this position, being one game away from an extremely rare grand slam - then of course it would be disappointing if Ireland dont pull it off!!
That was never a square ball!!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 16, 2009, 03:52:40 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 16, 2009, 03:26:09 PM

Nonsense.

I wouldnt question the value of winning the six nations at all - and if ireland had lost a game along the way and where in a championship play-off with Wales on saturday then the championship would be a brilliant achievement- just as i'm sure wales would celebrate winning the championship if they beat ireland by the requried points on saturday! But having gotten themselves into this position, being one game away from a grand slam - of course it would be disappointing if Ireland dont pull it off!!

Ah yeah human nature means naturally they would be dissappointed in losing any game especially one like next Saturday's but they would get over it quickly enough if they were still crowned 6 Nations champions.

The championship is all that matters really and only one team gets to lift the trophy at the end. The GS is just an added bonus although it would be great to do it as it would end talk of not having done it since 1949.

passedit

Quote from: Over the Bar on March 16, 2009, 03:45:16 PM
and will be rewarded with the Triple Crown for doing so while Ireland will win the 6 Nations.  I wonder which they'd prefer?

They obviously don't care that much as they passed up on the chance to accumulate a points advantage by playing their second string against Italy. I'd say the Ireland players' demeanour if they lose next Saturday will tell the tale. Hopefully it won't come to that.
Don't Panic

Maguire01

Quote from: passedit on March 16, 2009, 04:16:10 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on March 16, 2009, 03:45:16 PM

They obviously don't care that much as they passed up on the chance to accumulate a points advantage by playing their second string against Italy. I'd say the Ireland players' demeanour if they lose next Saturday will tell the tale. Hopefully it won't come to that.
If they didn't care that much against Italy, then logic would surely dictate that they won't be bothered at all against Ireland either.