Grand Slam Match

Started by Lecale2, March 15, 2009, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Will Ireland's Call really inspire the Irish lads?

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6cnXFiE6I

I reckon that song won Scotland a grand slam.

Over the Bar

Wales to win by 24 and Ireland to win the 6 nations.

Lecale2

How can they if Wales win by 24?

tyroneboi

Quote from: Over the Bar on March 15, 2009, 10:13:10 PM

Wales need to win by at least 13 points to win the Six Nations title. Would be a huge anti climax if Wales win but Ireland win the championship.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tyroneboi on March 15, 2009, 10:19:24 PM

Wales need to win by at least 13 points to win the Six Nations title. Would be a huge anti climax if Wales win but Ireland win the championship.
I don't think any of the men in green would be too disappointed!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: tyroneboi on March 15, 2009, 10:19:24 PM

It would still be Ireland's first 6 Nations title in 24 years. I'd say they'd celebrate alright even if they don't do the GS.

ziggysego

A bit like being knocked out of the Ulster Championship, but going on to win the All-Ireland Championship. Been nice with the Ulster Championship, but doesn't take away from winning the All-Ireland.
Testing Accessibility

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ziggysego on March 15, 2009, 11:21:51 PM
A bit like being knocked out of the Ulster Championship, but going on to win the All-Ireland Championship. Been nice with the Ulster Championship, but doesn't take away from winning the All-Ireland.

Don't think that's really the right analogy as the Grand Slam is more prestigous than the championship alone. Will be a huge dissapointment if they lose to Wales no matter what the score. Remember how deflated England were after we beat in 2001, championship or no championship. The fact that Wales have to go chasing the game will play into Ireland hands though, just as it aided Wales when Ireland went to Cardiff a few years back needing a big win to take the title.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Maguire01

Quote from: Lecale2 on March 15, 2009, 10:11:20 PM
Will Ireland's Call really inspire the Irish lads?

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6cnXFiE6I

What a racket!

Roger

Quote from: Lecale2 on March 15, 2009, 10:11:20 PM
I reckon the key to the pre-match psyche up was the way David Sole led the team out, not that old dirge.

tyroneboi

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 15, 2009, 11:27:23 PM

Don't think that's really the right analogy as the Grand Slam is more prestigous than the championship alone. Will be a huge dissapointment if they lose to Wales no matter what the score. Remember how deflated England were after we beat in 2001, championship or no championship. The fact that Wales have to go chasing the game will play into Ireland hands though, just as it aided Wales when Ireland went to Cardiff a few years back needing a big win to take the title.

Agree TAM, that isnt the right analogy at all. Now that they have gotten so close to it and with the hype probably going into overdrive this week anything less a win in Wales will be a massive disappointment for everyone involved. Think it happened England again in Scotland a couple of years ago. They lost the match but won the championship and they didnt even go up to collect the trophy such was their disappointment. It will be the same with Ireland if that situation happens. Having said that I really believe Ireland will do it this weekend!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: tyroneboi on March 16, 2009, 01:04:10 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 15, 2009, 11:27:23 PM

Think it happened England again in Scotland a couple of years ago. They lost the match but won the championship and they didnt even go up to collect the trophy such was their disappointment. It will be the same with Ireland if that situation happens.

I think you might have the timeline messed up. England's last 6 Nations title was 2003 and they won all their games that year.

I'm sure the Irish lads would be disappointed if they don't win on Saturday but I think they would get over it quick enough if they were about to be presented with the 6 Nations trophy. No fear they wouldn't bother collecting it. It's not really comparable with England who had won championships already but wanted a Grand Slam. The Irish players don't even have a championship medal to their name. If they get one next weekend they will soon get over the disappointment of not getting the slam.

Hopefully we won't have to worry about maths though. Just win the game and they'll get both.

BennyHarp

I'd say its like the other way round - it would be like winning the Ulster Championship and not winning the all-ireland! For some teams it would be an achievement but ireland should have their sights firmly on the grand slam and anything else must be a disappointment!
That was never a square ball!!

balladmaker

It's Grand Slam or nothing...the Six Nations title will matter little if Ireland don't beat Wales.

Maguire01

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 16, 2009, 01:26:07 PM

I'd say its like the other way round - it would be like winning the Ulster Championship and not winning the all-ireland! For some teams it would be an achievement but ireland should have their sights fairly on the grand slam and anything else must be a disappointment!
Yes, you're right, it would be a disappointment for Ireland not to win the Grand Slam, but at the same time, Ireland haven't even won the Ulster Championship (i.e. the 6 Nations Championship), so whilst it would be second best just to win the Championship and not the Grand Slam, it shouldn't be sniffed at either.