Kildare vs. Armagh Sun. March 22

Started by Oraisteach, March 15, 2009, 05:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Quote from: fitzroyalty on March 23, 2009, 04:08:18 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 23, 2009, 04:01:26 PM
Quote from: AFS on March 23, 2009, 03:41:34 PM
Quote from: naka on March 23, 2009, 03:37:34 PM
are armagh going to unveil a new jersey this year ?

Doubt it. If they were they would've had it out months ago, probably in time for Christmas.

I havent seen the current jersey with the new gaa logo on it yet.  I also thought we were due a new one this year?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7958195.stm
Jersey's are a rip off anyway. They should hold onto the current one for another while at least

Sorry I meant I hadnt seen it for sale anywhere yet.  Although I havent been in the O Neills store for a few weeks
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

The GAA

Quote from: AFS on March 23, 2009, 01:53:21 PM
Quote from: ardmhaca08 on March 23, 2009, 12:48:40 PM
Quote from: The GAA on March 23, 2009, 10:49:52 AM
barnesy did rightly again up front but i still think he's a bit short. maybe he's the best option we have though? stevie was poor for me. he operated around centre forward but was largely anonymous and ponderous in posession, leading to a lot of turn overs. mallon was even more anonymous and is really worrying me. ak was decent and there were enough green shoots to suggest he can make the half forward role work. armagh badly need him to. martin o'rourke had his best game in a while. along with his usual work rate he was the only man delivering quality passes into the forward line. clarke was living off his service all day.

Cant understand how people are still stating that his size is an issue. :-\ He's been our most consistent player so far and continues to impress. Was surprised not to see ryan henderson getting a run out yesterday, someone in the crowd had said he wasn't even named in the 24. Surely has to be very disheartening for the lad? Clarke was first class. Stevie still looked slow and aaron kernan looked a bit lost in his position. However, good win for Armagh.  ;D

Because it is an issue at times. As much as he scored 2 great points, he was also knocked off the ball and nudged out of the way on several occasions yesterday. I'm not having a go at him because there's nothing he can do about it, but his size will always limit how good a footballer he can be. That said, he's scored some great points for us this year and is well worth his place on the panel. I think he might be better employed as an 'impact' sub later in the year though, cuz I'd rather have Stevie back up alongside Clarke.

i was't referring to barnesy's stature

HalfFitHalfBack

My thoughts on the game for what they're worth. I'd agree with most of what the others have reported.

I'm generally an optimist, however I think a lot of people are letting the win on Sunday paper over the cracks. There is still a lot of work to be done and sill loads of room for improvement.

I thought Kildare were very poor, I couldn't believe how many times they tried to run through Armagh defenders and coughed up possession as result.

McEvoy made a couple of great saves, and his kick outs were the best from any Armagh keeper this season, which in turn contributed to Armagh's better midfield performance. However in the 2nd half he assumed a ball was going wide so left it; the ball actually hit the post and was recovered by a defender. A lucky let off! For a few kick outs Toner took up  a position and then the ball was kicked in the opposite direction. I don't know if there was a break down in their signals, but it is something to improve upon.

Toner had an excellent outing at midfield, he and Early had a right old battle. I would have said it was honours even, with Toner dominating more towards the end. Also Toner has learned to lay the ball back when there's a wall of opponents in front of him instead of trying to break through. Very encouraging performance.

I think Vernon is building with every game. I can't put my finger on the reason why, but I think Vernon is going to be immense. I've a feeling that he'll find his groove someday soon, and when he does he will become the fulcrum of the Armagh team.

I wouldn't be too quick to write off Lavery, I think he could be a useful back up option for midfield when he's back to full fitness.

For me the biggest improvement in midfield was that Armagh were winning more breakball.

Forker and Toal were the two men that won the game for Armagh against Fermanagh, yet neither featured yesterday which seems strange. I thought Forker, Toal and Henderson deserved at least 15 minutes ahead of the Kernans.

Good to see Donaghy back, more defensive options.

Finn Mo definitely struggled again yesterday; I too think he has lots to offer the team but perhaps in the half back line.

I don't think Brian Mallon is getting the credit he deserves. I thought he got through a torrent of work yesterday, and was involved in a lot attacks. He did kick a few bad passes, but he is a real worker.

I think Shannon and McClelland have both been acquitting themselves well. They're defenders first and foremost, fair enough the maybe don't get forward as much as AK would when he's in halfback, but they do a good defensive job.

Stevie had to come very deep at times yesterday, but he was involved a lot and his pass was generally good.

I also think KOR has great potential, and perhaps a few more games alongside Clarke will help their understanding.

Clarke is just sublime. Easily the best player on the pitch yesterday. He was always in front, won nearly every ball that came his way, and even won possession from poor passes. yesterday was the first game where his marker has not resorted to dragging him down.

I thought neither penalty decision was correct, and though Clarkes pass that was blown up for a throw ball was a perfectly legitimate pass.

The ref was poor (again), I think he got that hung up on trying to be consistent that he ended up being inconsistent. He seemed to favour one or other team for a spell. Decisions over the 70mins probably balanced out.

Again good to get the win that should at a minimum secure div 2 status.

PS God bless the Celtic Tiger and the EU... Armagh to Newbridge in under 2 hours.  :)

TacadoirArdMhacha

Doubt it. If they were they would've had it out months ago, probably in time for Christmas.

Last couple (or at least the 2001 and 2004 jerseys) have only been released in the lead up to the championship for whatever reason.

Don't really agree with the criticism of K O'Rourke for his size. The Monaghan match was as physical game as your likely to encounter and he showed up well.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

mountainboii

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 23, 2009, 06:04:22 PM

Last couple (or at least the 2001 and 2004 jerseys) have only been released in the lead up to the championship for whatever reason.

Don't really agree with the criticism of K O'Rourke for his size. The Monaghan match was as physical game as your likely to encounter and he showed up well.

There appears to be a 3 year cycle with the jerseys. I think we'll have a new one next year.

2001-2003

2004-2006

2007-2009

and then 2010-2012?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Wile we're on the topic of jerseys, who have all our sponsors been? Sponsorship started round the early 90s I think?

I can remember Carna Transport, Newry Building Supplies and Morgan Fuels. Were there any others? Rufus, Tony, bcb etc?

armaghniac

Was the Carrickdale Hotel in there?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: armaghniac on March 23, 2009, 06:40:52 PM

Minors possibly rather than Seniors?

bennydorano

Quote from: armaghniac on March 23, 2009, 06:40:52 PM
Sponsors the weemen. 

Mooney Windows sponsored them v Down in 91 I think - did they become Newry building supplies?

Joxer

Matter of interest?  Does anyone know who that clown refereeing was yesterday because it wasnt Marty Duffy as it said in the programme?

Armamike

Quote from: HalfFitHalfBack on March 23, 2009, 05:44:50 PM
My thoughts on the game for what they're worth. I'd agree with most of what the others have reported.

I'm generally an optimist, however I think a lot of people are letting the win on Sunday paper over the cracks. There is still a lot of work to be done and sill loads of room for improvement.

I thought Kildare were very poor, I couldn't believe how many times they tried to run through Armagh defenders and coughed up possession as result.

McEvoy made a couple of great saves, and his kick outs were the best from any Armagh keeper this season, which in turn contributed to Armagh's better midfield performance. However in the 2nd half he assumed a ball was going wide so left it; the ball actually hit the post and was recovered by a defender. A lucky let off! For a few kick outs Toner took up  a position and then the ball was kicked in the opposite direction. I don't know if there was a break down in their signals, but it is something to improve upon.

Toner had an excellent outing at midfield, he and Early had a right old battle. I would have said it was honours even, with Toner dominating more towards the end. Also Toner has learned to lay the ball back when there's a wall of opponents in front of him instead of trying to break through. Very encouraging performance.

I think Vernon is building with every game. I can't put my finger on the reason why, but I think Vernon is going to be immense. I've a feeling that he'll find his groove someday soon, and when he does he will become the fulcrum of the Armagh team.

I wouldn't be too quick to write off Lavery, I think he could be a useful back up option for midfield when he's back to full fitness.

For me the biggest improvement in midfield was that Armagh were winning more breakball.

Forker and Toal were the two men that won the game for Armagh against Fermanagh, yet neither featured yesterday which seems strange. I thought Forker, Toal and Henderson deserved at least 15 minutes ahead of the Kernans.

Good to see Donaghy back, more defensive options.

Finn Mo definitely struggled again yesterday; I too think he has lots to offer the team but perhaps in the half back line.

I don't think Brian Mallon is getting the credit he deserves. I thought he got through a torrent of work yesterday, and was involved in a lot attacks. He did kick a few bad passes, but he is a real worker.
I think Shannon and McClelland have both been acquitting themselves well. They're defenders first and foremost, fair enough the maybe don't get forward as much as AK would when he's in halfback, but they do a good defensive job.

Stevie had to come very deep at times yesterday, but he was involved a lot and his pass was generally good.

I also think KOR has great potential, and perhaps a few more games alongside Clarke will help their understanding.

Clarke is just sublime. Easily the best player on the pitch yesterday. He was always in front, won nearly every ball that came his way, and even won possession from poor passes. yesterday was the first game where his marker has not resorted to dragging him down.

I thought neither penalty decision was correct, and though Clarkes pass that was blown up for a throw ball was a perfectly legitimate pass.

The ref was poor (again), I think he got that hung up on trying to be consistent that he ended up being inconsistent. He seemed to favour one or other team for a spell. Decisions over the 70mins probably balanced out.

Again good to get the win that should at a minimum secure div 2 status.

PS God bless the Celtic Tiger and the EU... Armagh to Newbridge in under 2 hours.  :)

I don't really get the Brian Mallon thing. People seem to expect a lot of him and get disappointed when he doesn't deliver. Without having a go at the lad, i don't understand the expectations.   He was never a standout performer from underage level and i've never remembered him having a particularly big game for the seniors, so why the fuss?
That's just, like your opinion man.

mackers

I don't really get the Brian Mallon thing. People seem to expect a lot of him and get disappointed when he doesn't deliver. Without having a go at the lad, i don't understand the expectations.   He was never a standout performer from underage level and i've never remembered him having a particularly big game for the seniors, so why the fuss?
[/quote]
Jeez, Mike, that's a bit harsh. He was one of the stand out performers on the AI winning u21 team having already played for the seniors. Showed some real promise on the senior team up until his cruciate injury in 07. Admittedly he hasn't been the same player since then.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Armamike

I just think there's a lot of expectation around him and i'm not sure why. He is a decent player and was an important part of the U21 team a few years back but he wasn't a star at that level, in the way that McGrane, Marsden etc were in their time.  He was doing ok for the seniors in the cameos he gave before his cruciate, but again hardly deserving of any great plaudits.  Just strikes me that game after game some supporters get disappointed with his contribution. I'm just not sure what they are measuring it against, in terms of what went before.
That's just, like your opinion man.

David McKeown

Quote from: AFS on March 23, 2009, 06:33:33 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 23, 2009, 06:04:22 PM

There appears to be a 3 year cycle with the jerseys. I think we'll have a new one next year.

2001-2003

2004-2006

2007-2009

and then 2010-2012?

Was there not also one with black lettering in the 2001-2003 period?  Might just have been mine running in the wash
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

illdecide

Def was as i still have that top with the Black writing on it
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch