Westmeath v Tyrone: Sunday 15th March - Mullingar

Started by omagh_gael, March 07, 2009, 10:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

UTV Sports News think that Tyrone were beaten today.

Thats what they reported !
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

omagh_gael

Quote from: Gaffer on March 15, 2009, 08:38:21 PM

quality reporting all round today... according to the BBC we were playing the 'bottom club' westmeath and niall gormley must have stole blocks jersey!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7940950.stm

omagh_gael

Quote from: gerry on March 15, 2009, 07:32:00 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 15, 2009, 07:22:29 PM
Quote from: gerry on March 15, 2009, 07:09:56 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 15, 2009, 06:10:09 PM
poor enough performance today, just haven't got the usual fluency but can't really complain considering that the teams having been changing quite dramatically the last number of games! Thought Davy Harte played v well, scored a couple of beauties and used the ball well all day, was roaring at hub wen he fluffed last minute shot but thank god it dropped into blocks hands, will we ever see a scrapier goal?!! Westmeath were really up for this game and made life really difficult particularly second half, ref seemed to give them everything in 1st half but evened things up with a few soft frees for us in the 2nd! Any word on what happened enda or why no cassidy?

Did you pay today or was it another freebie

Ha ha I did have to pay today! Was down visiting some1 in erne hospital and was able to slip away for 45 mins to see 2nd half! That game today was ten times better, I shared a similar experience  mr nakata, honestly can't remember last time we scored a '45'!!

Just think if the feckers had not nicked our hospital you would have missed that game

thank god they did for my lifes so much better after watching 13 defenders play against eachother and more rucks and mauls than were on display in murrayfield yesterday!  :D

ONeill

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 15, 2009, 09:27:45 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on March 15, 2009, 08:38:21 PM

quality reporting all round today... according to the BBC we were playing the 'bottom club' westmeath and niall gormley must have stole blocks jersey!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7940950.stm

The BBC definitely give us a chuckle every week. In that report 'Denis' Glennon grows not only another 'n' but ends up 'Dennnis' Glennon by the end!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Redhandfan

Another far from convincing performance by Tyrone today in Mullingar but at least the desire was there in those closing few minutes to somehow snatch a victory over a determined if somewhat unlucky home team.  Considering the games Tyrone have left, this was a hugely significant result for the Red Hands.  A defeat today (which looked very likely at one stage) would have left us in serious trouble.  We are still not out of the danger zone just yet but a win in Ballybofey next Saturday night would virtually secure our division one status and remove a lot of pressure going into the final two games at home to Derry and away to Mayo.

Many people pointed to the dreadful conditions in Omagh the week previous for Tyrone's below par display against Galway but it worries me slightly that we struggled for long periods today against a severely weakened Westmeath team in what was a near perfect day for football.  Injuries to Enda McGinley and Justy McMahon certainly did not help our cause but to concede 2-10 was most disappointing.  It was interesting to hear Sean being interviewed on RTE radio on our way home after the match that the team is currently doing a lot of heavy work at training, which may explain the lack of sharpness and fluency at the moment.  I suppose it is fair to say, too, that the number of changes to the team may be slightly unsettling.  On current form, victory over an out of sorts Donegal is far from guaranteed while Derry must be licking their lips at the prospect of coming to Healy Park in a fortnight.

It is worth remembering that only a few weeks ago we were all basking in the glory of another Croke Park triumph over Dublin and the talk, among players and supporters alike, was of achieving National League success.  Now, we will just be relieved to keep our place in Division One.  Dublin's displays since the league opener should perhaps make us re-evaluate our own performance that night.  We have not been playing all that well in this season's league and, as O'Neill rightly pointed out to me after the Galway game, there is no one at the moment on the fringes of the team who have really staked a claim for a place come championship time.  Swift is a tidy footballer, comfortable on the ball and good going forward, but there are still doubts when it comes to his defensive duties.  Snowy O'Neill played well in the first half today but, along with the likes of Mulgrew and Niall Gormley, must do more before we can count on them come championship time.

Another thing, I don't like to see Mugsy playing that deep roving role. He spent far too much time in his own defence today (was that his marker who scored Westmeath's second goal?) and he is better served close to the opposition's goal where he poses far more of a threat.  Keep him in the full forward line - we need more ball winners in that sector.  The return in the coming weeks of Brian McGuigan and Stevie O'Neill will hopefully see Mugsy returned to his strongest position.

On the plus side today, Sean O'Neill had a very good game in defence.  Scored two terrific points and always looked assured.  I even saw him barking out orders at one stage to more experienced players like Mulligan which suggests he does not feel out of place in the county set-up!  It was also good to see a healthy turn out of Tyrone supporters make the trip to Mullingar for this match.  When Colm Cavanagh nabbed that winning goal, at least two thirds of the people in the stand rose to their feet to acclaim the score!

gerrykeegan

This is what we should have done to Cavanagh!

Iraqi fan shoots player as he goes for goal
16/03/2009 - 13:24:25

An Iraqi football player was shot dead by a rival fan as he was about to score an equaliser.

The striker from the Buhairat amateur team had only the goalkeeper to beat in the match yesterday near Baghdad when a supporter of the rival Sinjar club shot him in the head in the final minute of play.

Sinjar were leading 1-0 when the shooting occurred. Police said a spectator was arrested.

More Iraqis are turning out for sports events now that security is improving. Major matches in Baghdad are heavily guarded but security in amateur games in smaller cities is often lax.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

AN other

I think Tomás summed it up well for every Westmeath supporter. Disappointing but encouraging.
I thought it was a great second half of football and try as he might the referee didn't even manage to ruin it. He made some bizarre decisions all through and I was more than a little annoyed at the couple of frees Tyrone got towards the end before they nicked the goal. Swings and roundabouts though I suppose and as another poster has mentioned Westmeath did get a couple of dubious frees earlier on in the game.
John Keane will be kicking himself for that dropped ball, probably the only mistake he made all game.
Greatly encouraged by the performances of Conrad Reilly, Conor Lynam and Kilcoyne - Kilcoyne in particular looks like a real prospect with plenty of footballing ability. I can't recall him putting a pass astray all match and his two points were superb. He saw some amount of ball.
I think Glennon had his best game since '04, when he's in that sort of form he's unmarkable, long may it continue.
It would be great if Claffey could improve a bit, because if he was a real option at corner back Ennis could be deployed in the half forward line permanently. Francis Boyle did very well at half back, always thought the position would suit him. Loads of energy and a right tough bit of stuff.
Although victories over Dublin and Donegal may be possible it looks like we're doomed to relegation at this stage, disappointing really considering yesterday's performance because as O'Neill said, Division 1 is a great place to prepare for the championship.

Over the Bar

QuoteAn Iraqi football player was shot dead by a rival fan as he was about to score an equaliser.

The striker from the Buhairat amateur team had only the goalkeeper to beat in the match yesterday near Baghdad when a supporter of the rival Sinjar club shot him in the head in the final minute of play.

That nice sensitive article was obviously written by the sports reporter at the ground!  ::)

Croí na hÉireann

Someone would want to show Derek Fahy how to count to 4 as that's the amount of steps you're allowed to fecking take. I'd say Keiran Gavin is still baffled at the decision given against him. TG4 missed the incident in it's entirety, never mind not show the replay. Doran Harte was even less enamored seconds later.  >:( 2 points would have been a real pick me up and we wouldn't have Mission Impossible in front of us now. Anyways enough of the negatives, the was plenty of positives from a WH perspective.

Glennon was on fire, 2 of the best defenders around, McMahon & Gormley, couldn't live with him. When Dessie comes back I'd stick the two of them in the full forward line, they'd keep most defences occupied. Kilcoyne looks a real find, certainly got the aul lads athleticism. He's well able to take points from distance, which is something we've been crying out for. When Flan or O'Donoghue come back I'd try him in the half forwards to see how he gets on. Francie, as stated, did well at wing half back, looks an ideal replacement for Heals. It may be too soon for Claffey as Shaun O'Neill was going well until JK was switched over onto him and just shut him down. I wonder could Doran Harte do a job in the corner as he's the kind of tigerish fella u need in there.

Natchie did ok in the half forwards, kept Jordan on his toes all game. He can certainly do a job up there but I'd imagine it will depend on the injury situation if he remains there or not. Impressed by Lynam, for a lad just out of minor he certainly didn't look out of place. Reilly fooled Gormley with an outrageous dummy before taking a lovely point but like Claffey it may just be too soon for him... Duffy caught some ball in the second half but his passing as well as his shooting really needs to improve, else he'll end up like Hughes. Speaking of whom, the push he got in the last min did him some favour but them's the breaks. Don't think it was a square ball either.

If I was Tomás, I'd put all my efforts this week into getting the U21s right for Saturday. Bad enough Westmeath have four league games away from home but HQ feel the need to shaft us even more by rescheduling the U21 game from Paddys to the day before a senior game the other end of the country. A few of these lads have the Leaving coming up, which is assuming greater importance in the grand scheme of things as the days roll by. The Kingdom, IMO, are the best footballing side in the country and getting a result down there has to take second place to the U21s Leinster Semi-Final in the Dubs backyard.

Still, after yesterday's showing the mornings aren't as bleak anymore, get the injured lads back & fit and we'll be there or thereabouts in Leinster. Pity Shaugho won't make it back, probably never see him again in a WH jersey, definition of toughness...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...