Westmeath v Tyrone: Sunday 15th March - Mullingar

Started by omagh_gael, March 07, 2009, 10:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Also, I think he knows we cannot play McCullagh and Mulgrew in the same side. Raymond seems lost (and perhaps rightly so) with playmakers such as Colm, McGuigan (x2) in the side. I just cannot see Mulgrew's starting position in a full strength side.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on March 12, 2009, 11:03:57 PM
Also, I think he knows we cannot play McCullagh and Mulgrew in the same side. Raymond seems lost (and perhaps rightly so) with playmakers such as Colm, McGuigan (x2) in the side. I just cannot see Mulgrew's starting position in a full strength side.

I prefer to see Raymie in the half-forward line, so far.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tyrone86

Perhaps I'm being overly simplistic, but Mulgrew got an All Star nomination for his performances at Centre Half forward in 2007. In 2008, and to date in 2009, Mulgrew hasn't gotten the 11 jersey back. I can see what is trying to be achieved by the experimentation, - the thought of Mulgrew and Brian McGuigan operating at full capacity in the same team is mouth watering but Mulgrew isn't a man for the wings. The thing is, that for all his ability and potential, he is in danger of becoming an enigma.

ONeill

I remember Mickey waxing lyrically about him in the Wellie Park in '07. I think McCullagh stepped on his toes in 08 in terms of Colm's new-found role from corner forward to play-maker.

McCullagh's improvement from 06 has been immense. His performance v Dublin 08 will live long.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

GrandMasterFlash

MH must be feelin quietly confident about this one.. We were flyin last year and then came up short against Westmeath who basically beat us at our own game in Clones...

rrhf

Great choices by the maestro, my worry after 3 games of the national league is that too much was going through Mc Cullagh creating an unavoidable onedimensionalisation of Tyrones football.  Too slow too planned too deliberate and brings with it the  heightened risk of stopability.  Lets bang in ball all day I say.  Let the finest fullforward of last year do the damage.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 12, 2009, 10:43:35 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 12, 2009, 10:38:22 PM
That'd be Longford for u, avoid at all costs...

Sláinte C na h-É, shouldn't affect any of the Tyronies, the N3 will be as far across in the Longford direction that we'll need to go, the contingent in SW Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, Roscommon & Longford excepting.

If coming the N55 from Cavan turn left not too far out the road for Finea/Castlepollard for a scenic drive. You'll avoid Granard & Edgeworthstown plus the scenery is worth it if you've time to take it all in...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

snappiered

Would going by Castlepollard add any time to your journey or would it be shorter that going by Granard/ Edgeworthstown? What the road by Castlepollard like? Many Tyrone ones here going down?

cornafean

Quote from: snappiered on March 13, 2009, 10:07:54 AM
Would going by Castlepollard add any time to your journey or would it be shorter that going by Granard/ Edgeworthstown?

2 minutes longer according to my SatNav. The actual distance is shorter but its a very bendy road. I hate travelling it.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Donagh

Good to see O'Neill finally getting his chance at ff. I hear he bagged a few goals in the Ulster League at the weekend, hopefully he can reproduce this years form at the top level now.

Croí na hÉireann

Lynam makes Westmeath debut
Westmeath's Kieran Gavin
13 March 2009

St. Loman's Conor Lynam will make his first start for Westmeath in Sunday's NFL meeting with All-Ireland champions Tyrone at Cusack Park.

The teenager replaced Enda Leonard during the first half of last Sunday's defeat to Mayo, and retains his place in a much-changed side which is again notable for the absence of a host of injured regulars, including Dessie Dolan and Martin Flanagan.

Moate's Alan Claffey takes over at right corner back with Francis Boyle now at wing back and Michael Ennis pushing forward to number 10. Paul Bannon also comes into the half forward line with Enda Leonard and Paul Kelly both making way.

There are also two alterations in the full forward line which see Francis 'Brolly' Spollen and Conor Lynam replacing Kieran Martin and Thomas McDaniel.

Westmeath (SF v Tyrone): G Connaughton; A Claffey, K Gavin, J Keane; F Boyle, D Heavin, D Harte; D Duffy, N Kilcoyne; M Ennis, P Bannon, C Reilly; F Spollen, D Glennon, C Lynam.

Interesting team, good to see O'Flaherta is trying out more options and giving more young lads a run what with our injury list. Will be traveling to see how Boyle, Natchie, Claffey, Kilcoyne, Spollen & Lynam get on against the AI Champions. Delighted to see Francie given a choice at wing back, really comfortable on the ball, able to take a score and probably our best chance of replacing Heals. Natchie hasn't been in the forwards for a few years but hopefully it doesn't take him long to get in the groove. Didn't get to see Claffey against Derry but he looked the part in the O'Byrne Cup, Sun should be a good indicator on whether he can cut it or not. Another level for Kilcoyne, hope he's prepared to get dirty in amongst the bodies. Spollen has looked good in parts, will see what himself and Lynam can offer from the start.

A performance full of heart required, will be happy if we get that
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fuzzman

What is the other sean O'Neill lad like?
Could he push for one of the corner back positions?

Would be strange having 3 S.O'Neills on the team alright.

This game is very low key altogether

omagh_gael

Any  word on stevie o'neill? Still too early?

loughshore lad

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 13, 2009, 01:44:48 PM
What is the other sean O'Neill lad like?
Could he push for one of the corner back positions?

Would be strange having 3 S.O'Neills on the team alright.

This game is very low key altogether

Sean O'Neill the defender is a very good player in my opinion.  Has pace, power and is very good on the ball.  Not sure about corner back at intercounty level although by all accounts he performed well for St Marys at full back, perhaps would be more suited to a half back role and its very possible thats why Mickey has picked him for this game - to push forward and try and exploit westmeaths tendancy to full forwrds back packing the defence.

Tyrone Dreamer

The last time the teams met in Mullingar it was a cracking game. Looking forward to this more than the Galway game partly because its a Sunday afternoon. Think it gives a deccent day so the conditions should be much better than last time. The number of changes Harte is making from game to game indicates he isnt too concerned with results but think he will expect and want a result tomorrow. Its going to be interesting to see the way the forward line actually lines out. I wouldnt be suprised if Cavanagh and Cassidy switch. Its a big day for the O'Neills,Mulgrew,Cassidy and N Gormley. If they have serious ambitions of getting game time later in the year they must produce now. Snowy has potential and hopefully for the first time he shows it at county level tomorrow.