Does Ulster always say "no"?

Started by BennyHarp, March 06, 2009, 10:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Yeah right. huge success as you say.

what am i being negative about? the oob's negativity offensive?

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: The GAA on March 06, 2009, 04:37:35 PM

what am i being negative about? the oob's negativity offensive?

Read the post again, I didn't say you were being negative, I said I was ::)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

cornafean

Well that's my opinion anyway. The pay-for-play dodgy dossier was scrapped, and an expenses top-up scheme installed in its place. Not a bad day's work  :)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: cornafean on March 06, 2009, 04:47:31 PM

Well that's my opinion anyway. The pay-for-play dodgy dossier was scrapped, and an expenses top-up scheme installed in its place. Not a bad day's work  :)

It was always going to be damaged limitation but despite the payments Mark and Co did a great job and made it very difficult for Dessie and friends to drive it on as they planned.   

The GAA

Bord na Mona man

Breheny is right about Ulster saying no. However I don't agree where he is coming from.

Generalisation alert. The biggest difference is that down Southern GAA members are more likely to pander to populism. On the Croke Park debate much of the thinking that came from Southern members was that along the lines of:
What will they think of us, mainstream Ireland won't like us, the media will have a field day on us, we'll be called backwards, we'll be uncool, how can I look my rugby and soccer friends in the eye.

The vibe of the Celtic Tiger was always out with old and in with the new. You could fill a whole bullshit bingo scorecard about what people scrambled towards - "progressive", "forward thinking", "modern", "open minded".
When God Save the Queen getting played in Croke Park is touted as "the day we grew up as nation" you are really taking the biscuit.

Up in Ulster the average gael doesn't have to contend with the same sort of conscience. The fault lines are clearer They are fairly content that their very existence will be a finger in the eye of a sizable section of the community. Some whining journo moaning about how the GAA oppressed him at the age of 11 is hardly going to have any effect. No one would even bother.
There is not the same tendency to tip-toe and wonder what the neighbours think of us.
They'll say "No" without testing the direction of the wind first.

Another point worth mentioning. Journalists like Breheny love the junket to Australia. It is one of the few perks GAA journos get. The soccer ones get to travel way more, so any trip abroad reporting on GAA matters will be grabbed with both hands.

Rossfan

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 06, 2009, 04:33:01 PM

Grants... payments to players more like... £££
Compromise sh**te  all about £££
and of course opening Croker ££££s....   

And the GAA is of course run on fresh air and doesnt need any of them oul  ££££££s or  €€€€€€s.
I presume longruns and the other purists will refuse to accept any money from Croke Park that might be tainted by being received as rent from the buggers or the FAIdiots. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zapatista

Quote from: Rossfan on March 06, 2009, 10:01:31 PM

And the GAA is of course run on fresh air and doesnt need any of them oul  ££££££s or  €€€€€€s.
I presume longruns and the other purists will refuse to accept any money from Croke Park that might be tainted by being received as rent from the buggers or the FAIdiots. ::)

None of what you say Rossfan, counters ltf's post.

johnpower

So Ulster says no . I see a strike coming . Players want to go County Boards say no way . No Sean Cavanagh to terrorise us Kerry folk
there may be some hope for us

Tyrone Dreamer

Well the gaa survived for over 120 years without money from the fai or the irfu. The day we become reliant on this money will be a day the gaa is in trouble.

Zapatista

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 06, 2009, 11:22:26 PM

Well the gaa survived for over 120 years without money from the fai or the irfu. The day we become reliant on this money will be a day the gaa is in trouble.

It did much more than survive. I'd say cricket is surviving in ireland.

Tyrone Dreamer

Yeah it didnt just survive it became the number one sports organisation in the country and built the best stadium in the country. Thats why the arguement about needing fai and irfu money doesnt add up. The only people who can gain from the arrangement is the other 2 organisations who rely heavily on financial income for survival. 

Pangurban

The North began,the North held on, God bless that Northern land....while the rest of the country appear happy to put every ideal the association stands for up for auction, to earn short term financial gain and a pat on the head from the anti G.A.A. brigade, the gaels of Ulster are not for sale and their wise council will yet save the day

Mike Sheehy

QuoteThe North began,the North held on, God bless that Northern land....while the rest of the country appear happy to put every ideal the association stands for up for auction, to earn short term financial gain and a pat on the head from the anti G.A.A. brigade, the gaels of Ulster are not for sale and their wise council will yet save the day

God you Ulster bies talk some awful shite.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 07, 2009, 07:00:53 AM
QuoteThe North began,the North held on, God bless that Northern land....while the rest of the country appear happy to put every ideal the association stands for up for auction, to earn short term financial gain and a pat on the head from the anti G.A.A. brigade, the gaels of Ulster are not for sale and their wise council will yet save the day

God you Ulster bies talk some awful shite.

Agreed Mike, but it's pure Gaelic shite. ;) Personally I refuse to change the habits of a lifetime and request the GAA board that 290 other charges be taken into account.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties