season tickets

Started by réalt ard mhaca, March 05, 2009, 11:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

Tony is right (for a change) to be giving out about this, those seats in Clones near the fence are the worst seats in the house. Season ticket holders should be rewarded for their loyalty, not treated like this. Season ticket holders should have been given seats close to the half way line and well back from the fence. I am sure the people in the good seats didn't travel the length and breadth of the country throughout the league.

armaghniac

I am not sure about this one. Of course I'd like a ticket between the 45s back from the fence. But this only represents 20% of the seats in the stand, others have claims on this and someone has to sit in the other seats. Where I was sitting, around the 21m line, a prominent Crossmaglen and former Armagh player was sitting 3 or 4 rows in front of me and he came back at half time to try and find a vacant seat. He probably wasn't at all the Armagh games, but he has a claim on a ticket too.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Doogie Browser

Benny Tierney writing in yesterdays Irish News said his seats were poor quality too!

Trevor Hill

Thats the problem with championship football, everyone seems to have a claim for the best seats. I didn't see too many priests in Thurles this year, but I would bet the Geriatric stand was full of them last week.
Season ticket holders should get decent seats, not stuck at pitch level with their view blocked by a gate.

rrhf

Can someone post up off the fence this week.   By the way if Clones dosent have satifactory spectator facilities then thats a whole different issue as well.  I have 2 season tickets, they were below the field and behind a yellow gate.  They were not fit for sale.   except if you liked looking at the linsmean ankles.  I was talking to one specator who was thinking of cancelling his season ticket subscription, his club Tyrone donation and even the ciste nua he was that angry.
:D

armaghniac

QuoteBy the way if Clones dosent have satifactory spectator facilities then thats a whole different issue as well.

Exactly. Why build a stand with seats not fit for sale, some poor divil is going to end up there.

In any case if Armagh or Down's next game is in Ennis or somewhere, then I am sure we will get nice seats.

rrhf

I would nearly bet ye ye'll be going no further (in the 1st rd)  than Parc Esler when that draw is made. 

Archie Mitchell

I got shite seats as well. Wasn't the fact I was at the front, it was the fact that the gate and wire was blocking my  view. Maybe it's the fact that Clones is an out-dated ground and time for some re-development. When was the last major work done on the ground? I can mind the Gerry Arthurs stand being the same since my first visit to Clones for the 1994 Ulster Final. Eastern stand wasn't there at the time either.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: rrhf on June 04, 2009, 02:17:40 PM
Can someone post up off the fence this week.   

Off The Fence
By Paddy Heaney
04/06/09

OFF The Fence tends to be a predictable beast, particularly around the Championship season.

Certain trends are pretty constant. In the wake of every game, we will invariably receive a deluge of emails and calls about the abject failings of:

1. The losing manager

2. The referee

3. The panellists on RTE

But this week it's different. Following Armagh's defeat to Tyrone, there's been little hue and cry about Peter McDonnell, Pat McEnaney or Colm O'Rourke & co.

Instead, our good readers have gone for their fourth favourite target – the sports journalists of The Irish News.

Our player ratings and the match report that was published in Monday's paper topped our list of moans.

- 'OMAGH Man' was so incensed by our ratings that he described the effort as "tabloid journalism at its very worst". Hmmmm. That sounds like a rather tabloidesque reaction.

His other less savoury comments (and flawed understanding about what constitutes a double negative) had to be edited.

But we were able to save this: "I will be amazed if I am the only one pointing out the inadequacies of the the player ratings for the Tyrone v Armagh game.

"The two outstanding players on the Tyrone team were Justin McMahon and Philip Jordan.

"Ronan Clarke and Andy Mallon were prominent for Armagh. The rating of Martin O' Rourke made a few of my Armagh friends chuckle. The assessment of Conor Gormley and Sean Cavanagh was particularly poor.

You seriously need to up your game with regards this type of reporting."

There were no really outstanding displays from any player on Sunday and this explains why we weren't dishing out eights and nines.

As a rule of thumb, we give 7/10 for a very good display. Think of 7/10 as an 'A' grade'. A 6/10 or 6.5/10 is a 'B', which is still a good performance.

Justin McMahon didn't get a 7/10 because his man, Martin O'Rourke, provided the assist for 1-2 and also won plenty of breaking ball in the first half.

Philip Jordan got a 6.5 because Brian Mallon had a decent game, while Philip rarely broke the gain line when he made his runs from defence.

Ronan Clarke got 6.5. He bagged a great goal, but his man, Conor Gormley, was involved in Tyrone's first goal and scored the second. How would you score a corner-back whose man scored a goal and set up another?

Andy Mallon had a sound game, but again, his man, Stephen O'Neill still scored 1-1.

Sean Cavanagh received 6.5, which was a fair reflection of his overall contribution.

It's all just opinion, but just because our opinion differs from yours, that doesn't mean it's wrong.

- 'TOM' also disagreed with the rating given to Justin McMahon. He wrote: "I just wanted to say that I didn't overly agree with the Tyrone v Armagh ratings in Monday's Irish News. Most notably the rating for my man-of-the-match, Justin McMahon. Giving him a petty 6 out of 10 was shocking!

Criticism accepted. It was too harsh. He should have got 6.5.

- AND it's not just Tyrone men who were disgruntled with our take on the game. 'Lurgan Fan' also took issue with Brendan Crossan's match report.

He wrote: "Reading this morning's Irish News I found Brendan Crossan's report very harsh on Armagh.

"He wrote that if Armagh had taken the lead, Tyrone would have upped the gears and still won.

"Brendan should remember they didn't 'up the gears' last year against Down.

Tyrone were there for the taking. Had that perfectly good point been allowed then we could have avoided O'Neill's goal.

"This was a very satisfactory performance from this young team. Spillane's forecast of another Ulster 'carve up' was proved wrong. There wasn't a bad foul in the game and both teams deserve credit for a very sporting encounter."

- NEEDLESS to say, Armagh boss Peter McDonnell didn't escape scot free. 'Middletown Gael' emailed us from his Blackberry (la-di-da) to say: "I was very impressed by our players today, but the failings on the line we saw against Wexford were in evidence again on Sunday.

"Peter, please let us see more of your belief in your players and let them express themselves. Put Aaron Kernan at centre half-forward where he should be, Ciaran McKeever at full-back

where he can command the square, and Brendan Donaghy at centre half-back where he can drive forward. And believe in your players."

- PRAISE for the losing team continued with this email from 'Donal in Armagh City'.

He wrote: "When faced with the possibility of an ignominious defeat to the 'auld enemy' (eight points down to the All-Ireland champions), every man put his shoulder to the wheel and ensured that it became a real contest between two sets of players of huge ability and genuine respect for each other's skill and tradition.

"Never again will Armagh return to the terrible days of 1975 when we

were unofficially rated No. 29 in Ireland!

"Ultimately, it is not the winning that matters – it is about doing your best for your team and for your supporters. This ideal will ensure that you will walk off the pitch with your head held high and you'll probably win your fair share of games."

Are you really from Armagh? In fact, are you really from this planet?

- BEFORE moving away from Clones, we'll deal with our first gripe of the summer about the GAA's new season tickets.

'Tony Fearon' bought a season ticket at the start of the year. Thoroughly impressed by his experiences in the National League, he was less satisfied by his day out in St Tiernach's Park.

Tony wrote: "My grievance relates to the poor tickets that I, and other season tickets holders, were allocated for Sunday's game in Clones.

"Our seats were in the front rows of the Gerry Arthurs Stand. Our view was continually obstructed by animate objects (team coaches, trainers, managers, medical staff, water carriers, photographers, TV people and stewards), and inanimate objects such as thick grid gates and fencing.

"A huge part of the motivation to purchase a season ticket was access to Championship tickets, and I think I speak for all season ticket holders when I say we expected seats of a reasonable quality.

"Season ticket holders are invariably genuine and loyal fans who follow their respective counties through thick and thin, and are deserving of better than the worst possible seats on the big Championship days of summer.

"I would stress that season ticket holders don't expect the best seats, but neither are we deserving of the worst either.

"The seats reserved for season ticket holders at Croke Park are in a reasonable location – the lower Cusack. In my opinion, similar locations of reasonable quality should be reserved for season tickets holders at all stadia during the Championship."

THAT clears up the reaction to last Sunday's game. Now, we'll revert our attention to controversy and suspensions that emanated from the game in Celtic Park the week previous.

Having apparently only viewed the incidents highlighted by RTE, the CCCC has suspended Fergal Doherty, Brian Mullan and Thomas Freeman.

- 'PROUD of Derry' is convinced that TV coverage and TV analysts now have an undue influence on the CCCC.

He wrote: "So the Right Reverend McHugh, Burns, Tohill, Spillane and O'Rourke have got their way and the GAA has thrown the baby out with the bath water.

It is hypocrisy in the extreme.

"There have been far more violent games of Gaelic football in the recent past and a good few of them involved the now saintly personalities listed above.

"If the referee and the umpires had the gumption to punish the assaults on the Bradley brothers before the ball was thrown in, it might also have helped the game.

"I hope the Derry County Board refuse to pay the E10,000 fine, whatever the consequences. The majority of Derry fans will support them. I am proud of the way Derry played against Monaghan and congratulate

"Damian and the boys. Don't let the hypocrites who now run and talk about our game get you down."

- IN keeping with the tendency of this week's column to buck the trend, 'Patsy from Tyrone' also expressed support for the footballers of Derry and Monaghan.

He wrote: "It may come as a shock that a Tyrone supporter disagrees with Colm O'Rourke and Pat Spillane.

"I don't think any Derry or Monaghan player should have been suspended.

"Does Chief Justice O'Rourke forget the treatment dished out to Brian Dooher by a Meath player when he tried to decapitate the future Tyrone captain? Does he forget the treatment dished out to Sean Cavanagh two years ago?

"Please make sure Barrister Joe is present when future sentences are being passed out (even though he is half a Tyrone man, although I do not know which half).

"At least Joe stands up for Ulster teams. It's a pity the same can't be said for all our northern pundits.

It is probably unreasonable to expect the GAA to take no retrospective action against Derry and Monaghan. The key issue is why the CCCC has chosen to suspend the players who were highlighted by RTE.

Other equally serious incidents took place during the game. It's very unhealthy for the media to appear to have such an influence in deciding who gets suspended.

Toffee nose out of joint over Moyes Bhoys link

AND finally, no Off the Fence would be truly complete without some Celtic content.

In his Hitting the Target column, Kenny Archer argued that David Moyes could further his career by moving to Parkhead.

Not surprisingly, 'Evertonian' doesn't agree. He wrote: "I understand that as a nationalist/Catholic newspaper there will be occasional feelers to appease Glasgow Celtic fans.

"But really, you need to draw the line somewhere between football rumour/speculation/possibilities and downright wishful thinking and personal dreaming.

"To claim how 'a contender for the Manchester United job' would greatly increase the standing of his CV by taking a backward step to a minor league to simply gain more European appearances is to grossly underestimate the integrity and the loyality of the man himself, as well as doing a great disservice to Everton Football Club."

Shortso79

Quote from: Doogie Browser on June 04, 2009, 02:09:23 PM
Benny Tierney writing in yesterdays Irish News said his seats were poor quality too!

Benny was directly behind me and at half time upgraded to a better seat

Bennys article was a good laugh

T Fearon

Although delighted to act as a spokesperson, on a self appointed basis of course, for all season ticket holders, I think more weight might be given to grievances if you all emailed about your grievances to the appropriate address.

Dinny Breen

Interestingly for the Kildare v Wexford game season ticket holders have the option of Terrace or Stand!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

Doohicky

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 05, 2009, 02:14:05 PM
Interestingly for the Kildare v Wexford game season ticket holders have the option of Terrace or Stand!!!
Sounds like it is all based on what the local GAA council decides then. I would have loved that option.

Dinny Breen

Not sure but this came from the GAA ticket office

QuoteA chara,

As a Kildare GAA Football Season Ticket holder you are entitled to a seat in the stand for the game against Wexford in Dr. Cullen Park on Saturday week (13th June).

The stand in Dr. Cullen Park is quite small and there is a great demand for stand tickets. Leinster GAA want to see every seat filled.

With that in mind we are asking all Kildare Season Ticket holders to indicate if you wish to sit in the stand or go to the terrace.

Please reply to this email and simply state:

Stand – if you wish to avail of a seat in the stand.

Terrace – if you wish to go to the terrace.

The deadline for response is midday on Tuesday 9th June.

There will be two Season Stiles in operation on the match day to accommodate those taking either option. If you are entering the stand you will be handed your seat number as you pass through the Season Stile.

As a Season Ticket holder you enjoy a €5 discount for this fixture so the prices for either option are as follows:

Stand Option - €15 to you

Terrace Option - €10 to you

This is very much a once-off due to the size of the stand in Dr. Cullen Park so we appreciate your patience and support.

Le meas,

GAA Ticket Office.
#newbridgeornowhere

armaghniac

QuoteThis is very much a once-off due to the size of the stand in Dr. Cullen Park so we appreciate your patience and support.

Perhaps this flexibility is a once off.