Crossmaglen Rangers v Kilmacud Crokes

Started by crossfire, March 05, 2009, 09:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Dublin produce plenty.

what Dublin don't have are coaches in the very top drawer, capable of getting the best from the materials available to them.

thebandit

Quote from: The GAA on March 18, 2009, 01:29:23 PM

Dublin produce plenty.

what Dublin don't have are coaches in the very top drawer, capable of getting the best from the materials available to them.

That's an excellent point

INDIANA

Name me GAA all the Dublin players Kerry and Tyrone would want. 3 -4 max.
To an extent its coaching to a larger extent we just don't produce natural footballers. Too many lads too fond of going to the gym than concentrating on the basics. But to say its all down to coaching is cobblers really.

sheskin

"their best forward was the corner man though (mayo name?). thought he was immense - showed for every ball."
Pat Burke -Clare name. His father also called Pat was on the 95 All Ireland team.
Anybody know how many other father and sons have club all ireland medals?

Canalman

The 2 Kerrigans of Nemo come to mind. There must be more from Nemo.

Pat Gilroy's late father Jack I think won an AICF with Vins also.

mountainboii

Think Jamie Clarke can be very happy with his first full year on the Cross team. He has the makings of a very, very good player when he fills out a bit. Very Oisin like with the way he can worm his way round a defender with a dip of the shoulder.

davo

Think he's a good footballer but is a few years off the finished article. seen him play in the armagh county final and he was taken off having made little impact on the game.I dont think he even touched the ball. think he definitely has the potential though.

milltown row

watching the game in the club, big screen showing the match my bet was flying, St Pats Methody -9 and Portumna -9 all on cross to win by two at least. Chinese ordered for going up. but after 5 minutes i knew it wasn't happening. big disere from Crokes showed from the start and Cross looked flat footed, couldn't get ball up field never won kick outs and lost out in midfield.

slight arrogance maybe crept in before the game, what did Murtagh say after the match?

Jinxy

I dunno about arrogance but did Oisín not say something about how he hadn't seen any videos of Crokes?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

dodo

I see that John Donaldson has a few Louth championships won along with his 10 Armagh ones. Where is he actually from ?

thebandit

Quote from: dodo on March 18, 2009, 08:53:03 PM
I see that John Donaldson has a few Louth championships won along with his 10 Armagh ones. Where is he actually from ?

Cullyhanna

Yes I Would

Quote from: milltown row on March 18, 2009, 06:53:48 PM
watching the game in the club, big screen showing the match my bet was flying, St Pats Methody -9 and Portumna -9 all on cross to win by two at least. Chinese ordered for going up. but after 5 minutes i knew it wasn't happening. big disere from Crokes showed from the start and Cross looked flat footed, couldn't get ball up field never won kick outs and lost out in midfield.

slight arrogance maybe crept in before the game, what did Murtagh say after the match?

Havent seen or read any post match comments as yet.. In victory he was never shy in giving his view!
Oisin's comments were pretty much spot on.. There is no doubt that Cross felt this year they had perhaps their strongest ever panel..
A sense of arrogance and cockiness at this level is required but cant help but sense complaceny set in somewhere along the line in recent weeks.

Armamike

A poor enough game, Crokes deserving winners.  They were very controlled and well organised, with the upper hand in most sectors of the pitch. It was looking a tough match for Cross from very early on - Crokes just looked to have that bit of self belief and purpose about themselves. They were very well drilled as a team, and it was very difficult for any one Cross player to make a difference to the outcome. If they watch themselves they could win another AI in the next few years but it takes a special team at club level to come back for more and achieve that. Which brings me nicely on to Cross's legacy.  It's a bit of a GAA trait to write off teams after a defeat in a final.  Cross are the greatest club team of all time and will continue to challenge - with the resources and set up they have that's a fairly likely scenario. Like Nemo Rangers they ain't going to win the AI every year and they will lose big matches along the way. But so what? With their set-up there's every chance as a club they'll win more provincials and the odd AI in the future. I'd say most clubs would be happy with that scenario.

That's just, like your opinion man.

3000 miles away

too say any team is finished have a look at what there under age teams are winning, and if you look at cross underage achievements in the last 5-years its speaks for itself, a few minors titles, a few u21 defeats in finals, but there is a treble of minor,u21,and senior in 06 so i think cross have good players coming through.

another point id like to is people saying the standard in armagh is poor, i believe if dromintee,pearse ogs and harps to a certain extent won an armagh title they would give ulster a good shot,thats if they didnt drink themselves into oblivion.

INDIANA

Being brutally honest mate- only Dromintee have impressed me other than Cross. I don't rate any of the rest. Can never understand Harps- very good at underage level- poor at senior level quite frankly.