Crossmaglen Rangers v Kilmacud Crokes

Started by crossfire, March 05, 2009, 09:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: full back on March 18, 2009, 10:50:41 AM
Do the Crokes have a left footed free taker?

They do he's called barry o rourke. Starts for the dublin u21's but doesn't start for Crokes-serious talent. Brian Kavanagh and all that. Won't get started on that- my club are no angels in that regard either in contrast to the days when we had 15 home bred vincents men- but thats why vincents and crokes titles aren't translating at county level- but thats another debate

fitzroyalty

Crokes were v.impressive, thats as tame a performance from Cross as you'll ever see. The hunger from KC was evident from the start and I couldn't help get the feeling Cross (especially the younger players) were just waiting for a moment of magic from one of the older guys. I myself was waiting on a comeback near the end of the game which unfortunately for xmg never came. Confidence is contagious and so is a lack of it and when some of the more experienced players showed nerves it spread to the others: woeful wides, dropping into keepers hands, misplaced passes straight to crokes players etc, just seemed Cross weren't at the races asides from Francie who I thought along with McConville were the only exceptions. Crokes went home yesterday knowing they had beaten the best though which will make the victory that little more meaningful. Will be interesting to see will some of the older guys in the squad call it a day or will the hunger still be there?

The GAA

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 18, 2009, 11:57:17 AM
Quotekavanagh produced more than i expected from him

Why had you low expectations of Kavanagh?  Not winding, just interested!

he was very promising when he first broke onto the county scene but in recent years i've thought him a bit "windy". no doubting his ability but my impression has been of someone who did not relish physical challenges and not a ball winner.

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on March 18, 2009, 09:05:29 AM

Look I don't want to come across as insulting so I'll bury the hatchet now- but I'll be honest we were rightly ticked off last year with some of the comments out of your camp before the semi last year so that probably where it stems from but I'll draw a line on the sand on it now if you will.
I re read the comment- I didn't mean it in the sense it came  across but no team should be able to win an county championship in 2nd/3rd gear as some posters said they would. Even Crokes will struggle to get out of Dublin this year and the standard in Dublin isn't great by any stretch. A stronger county championship all round would help cross and expose any weaknessess earlier.
The forwards had a bad day but the defence was the biggest problem- just a sheer lack of pace - defenders letting the ball bounce over them etc. Crokes did their best to lose it- Cross 3-4 years ago would have won that game yesterday playing badly. The kernans really need to step up to the plate on that team now because thats who they will be looking to.

Where is the standard good then?
Would you ever lighten up FFS!
It's always doom and gloom.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maximus Marillius

Crokes won the Club title this year, and St Vincents won it last year, and he tries to tell us the standard isn't good in Dublin. No doubt about it the standard in Dublin isn't up to it :o

corn02

Fell alseep before (or was too hungover) to watch the match. Hard luck Cross, very surprised and shocked to see Cross hit seven points, their lowest in about a decade I would imagine?

To say they are finished is ridiculous, not even worth arguing.

Alkso to say they won 13 because the opposition was crap really pisses me off. They won 13 because they were the best for 13 years, but to say they strolled through it is bullshit.

However, yesterday probably will renew a bit of confidence in Armagh teams.

Billys Boots

Quote from: The GAA on March 18, 2009, 12:17:16 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on March 18, 2009, 11:57:17 AM
Quotekavanagh produced more than i expected from him

Why had you low expectations of Kavanagh?  Not winding, just interested!

he was very promising when he first broke onto the county scene but in recent years i've thought him a bit "windy". no doubting his ability but my impression has been of someone who did not relish physical challenges and not a ball winner.

Wouldn't disagree with your assessment much, but he's a decent size and no shortage of strength - he should be well able for the physical side of the game.  He'd be wasting his time getting involved in ball-winning, it's not his game at all.  In spite of my reservations about him playing for Kilmacud in the first place, it was nice to see a Longford-man getting an AI winners medal yesterday.  And I guess he does live and work in the parish.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The GAA

I wasn't touting him for a ball winning role as such - just felt that he didn't do enough to win bad ball in his vicinity

dodo

Quote from: INDIANA on March 18, 2009, 12:15:33 PM
Quote from: full back on March 18, 2009, 10:50:41 AM
Do the Crokes have a left footed free taker?

They do he's called barry o rourke. Starts for the dublin u21's but doesn't start for Crokes-serious talent. Brian Kavanagh and all that. Won't get started on that- my club are no angels in that regard either in contrast to the days when we had 15 home bred vincents men- but thats why vincents and crokes titles aren't translating at county level- but thats another debate

Was stated on the wireless yesterday that only 3 blow ins on Crokes 33 man squad. Must be Kavanagh, Morrissey and McBarron.

StGallsGAA

Quoteas they say- there none so blind as those that can't see.

it's "there are none so blind as those who will not see"

full back

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 18, 2009, 01:09:28 PM
Quoteas they say- there none so blind as those that can't see.

it's "there are none so bline as those who will not see!"

It's "there are none so blind as those who will not see"

StGallsGAA

Cross might well have gotten ou of Armagh due to poor opposition but the same can't be said of Ulster.

corn02

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 18, 2009, 01:11:49 PM
Cross might well have gotten ou of Armagh due to poor opposition but the same can't be said of Ulster.

That's not true either.

orangeman

Ray Cosgrove can't make the starting 15 ?? Shows they must have a serious side if he can't make it even if he has quit the Dublin set up etc etc.

INDIANA

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on March 18, 2009, 12:47:11 PM
Crokes won the Club title this year, and St Vincents won it last year, and he tries to tell us the standard isn't good in Dublin. No doubt about it the standard in Dublin isn't up to it :o

1 all-ireland in 14 years- you wouldn't need a degree in nuclear physics to work it out.

A resume of Dublin football:

-don't produce enough natural footballers
-don't produce enough natural forwards
-don't produce corner backs at all
- don't produce players who make good decisions on the ball
-More chance of seeing Halley's Comet then finding a half forward

The top 5 Dublin club teams import half the country to supplement the players they can't produce thats the reality. I saw one decent game in the Dublin club championship this year- the rest was brutal. Anybody in Dublin who attends club games will agree with me. The statistics don't lie-the standard is average to poor.
Lads Crokes aren't even the best club side in Dublin- Plunketts are. Stick your money on Plunketts for the all-ireland now- with the amount of foreigners they have and the 2 brogans- this is a better bet than Ruby Walsh on a favourite.