Magennis's Bar now changed its name to Ronnie Drew's

Started by Maroon Heaven, March 05, 2009, 10:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Quote from: The GAA on March 05, 2009, 10:44:04 AM
You brought up the McCartneys - blaming them for this controversy (God only knows why) and then took the opportunity to stick the boot into them.
d**khead

So are you saying it wasn't the McCartney's that started the controversy?

nifan

In fairness GAA, the McCartneys have been in the paper - those quotes in my last post refer to an interview with one of them. The have gotten involved on their own, and while i feel sorry for the loss of a brother, they are directing the anger in the wrong place/

Donagh

Quote from: The GAA on March 05, 2009, 10:44:04 AM
You brought up the McCartneys - blaming them for this controversy (God only knows why) and then took the opportunity to stick the boot into them.
d**khead

So are you saying it wasn't the McCartney's that started the controversy?

Outrage as Belfast murder pub named after icon Ronnie Drew

Thursday, 5 March 2009

The family of Robert McCartney reacted with fury yesterday after the Belfast pub where their brother was murdered by IRA members was renamed after Dubliners legend Ronnie Drew.

And last night, the son of the late singer Phelim Drew said he was concerned his pacifist father's name was being associated with a place where such a barbaric murder had taken place.

Magennis's Bar, a stone's throw from the republican Markets area, is now called Ronnie Drews, after the singer who died last August.

A large picture of Mr Drew has been etched on one window and another of the five-member group on another.

Robert McCartney's sister Paula said: "It is obvious what they are doing, they are trying to whitewash the past.

"But as far as Belfast is concerned, changing the name is not going to do anything -- the stigma has well and truly stuck." However, she said tourists should know they could be drinking next to a murderer.

Despite a lengthy trial, no-one has been brought to justice for the murder.

Ms McCartney added: "The bar didn't murder Robert, it was the people in it and the people need to change, not the name of the bar."

Phelim Drew said he and his sister Cliodhna were not consulted about the name change and he had already spoken to his solicitor. But he said he was not going to jump to any knee-jerk reaction.

"We would be obviously extremely sensitive to the feelings of the McCartney family and want them to know very clearly that we were not involved in the naming of the pub after our dad."

The bar has changed hands several times since Mr McCartney was murdered outside after a row with IRA members inside. The new owner was not available for comment yesterday.

The GAA

If you have some evidence that the McCartneys are involved then post it up. if not, desist from the usual shinner tactic of slandering people by rumour and shut the f**k up.

Pulling shite like this:

Quote from: Donagh on March 05, 2009, 10:24:27 AM
What controversy? Don't tell me, more manufactured outrage from the McCartney family? I expect Suzanne Breen will have a two page 'exclusive' in this Sunday's Tribune and the McCartney's to be picketing the pub for no reason other than they think it'll somehow bring "justice for Robert". Life moves on, get over it...

out of your arse, given what these people have endured, is reprehensible

TacadoirArdMhacha

Can't understand the fuss about this at all. The current owners had nothing to so with the what happened Robert McCartney and they are well within their rights to change the name if they feel their business would benefit from that. They should have contacted the Drew family though.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

The GAA

Fair enough if you have a source - why did you come on the thread with the "don't tell me.... the mccartneys" line?

Donagh

Quote from: The GAA on March 05, 2009, 10:51:30 AM
If you have some evidence that the McCartneys are involved then post it up. if not, desist from the usual shinner tactic of slandering people by rumour and shut the f**k up.

You mean like that I've already posted?

Quote from: The GAA on March 05, 2009, 10:51:30 AM
Pulling shite like this:

Quote from: Donagh on March 05, 2009, 10:24:27 AM
What controversy? Don't tell me, more manufactured outrage from the McCartney family? I expect Suzanne Breen will have a two page 'exclusive' in this Sunday's Tribune and the McCartney's to be picketing the pub for no reason other than they think it'll somehow bring "justice for Robert". Life moves on, get over it...

out of your arse, given what these people have endured, is reprehensible

As have thousands of others and they've got on with their lives without lashing out at those with no connection to their troubles.

Maroon Heaven

One of the things the McCartney sisters have never forgot is that the Bar never sent flowers to the Funeral.

Minder

When i first read about this it was Ronnie Drews son that was "horrified" of the name change.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Donagh

Quote from: The GAA on March 05, 2009, 10:53:43 AM
Fair enough if you have a source - why did you come on the thread with the "don't tell me.... the mccartneys" line?

I didn't have the source but it wasn't exactly rocket science to work out brains.

The GAA

Minder

Did the "controversy" not start with Phelim Drew though? Everyone knew the Mc Cartney sisters would wade in though.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Doogie Browser

In fairness it was opportunistic of the owners to call it that without asking Ronnie's family.  I am sick of the bar getting rubbished though because of the murder of McCartney, the bar owners had no part in this and the new owners have no connection at all, they deserve a chance to run their business free of the stigma attached with the murder.  
They def should have asked the Drew family.  

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: Minder on March 05, 2009, 11:01:27 AM
Did the "controversy" not start with Phelim Drew though? Everyone knew the Mc Cartney sisters would wade in though.

No - Started with Irish News who took some shots outside and just asked a question.

Doogie Browser

Bloody Irish News again, starting rumours of the 'mass GAA brawl' in Dungannon and now this. Not the same since that Mickey Harte came on board...