business closures/job struggles formerly 'its the waiting that is hell'

Started by longball, March 04, 2009, 02:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longball

Good to hear u avoided the chop Donagh. BUT be warned the next couple of weeks will be so depressing fellas who used to be good craic will now be moping around. girls will be crying. its hard to be honest but at least u no that u'l be ok.
When it happened us u were thinking these are people ive worked with for X amouint of years and to be honest i'll prob never see them again. The world sucks at the minute.
I see 14000 people applied for a 200 new jobs in a Primark in England. CRAZY!
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Donagh

Cheers lb. Still leaves a nasty taste with the way management have handled the whole thing. All very underhand with no attempt to keep those people who actually keep their head down and do a bit of work. A couple of good people I know to be experts in their field got the chop and that's going to have major implications down the road when someone realises we've now too many chiefs who know f**k all about getting the job done. A big thumbs down for all our local politicians from all sides who I tipped off last week about what was coming and how it was being handled. The only honourable mention goes to an Assembly member from the SDLP who has taken an interest.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Donagh on June 18, 2009, 07:30:22 PM
Cheers lb. Still leaves a nasty taste with the way management have handled the whole thing. All very underhand with no attempt to keep those people who actually keep their head down and do a bit of work. A couple of good people I know to be experts in their field got the chop and that's going to have major implications down the road when someone realises we've now too many chiefs who know f**k all about getting the job done. A big thumbs down for all our local politicians from all sides who I tipped off last week about what was coming and how it was being handled. The only honourable mention goes to an Assembly member from the SDLP who has taken an interest.
You public sector or private? What criteria did they use for axing people?

Glad to hear you survived the cull but is this the end of it? In my last place I survived until the fourth round of cuts, but by that stage the place was treading water and life had been knocked out of the employees so looking back it was a relief to go. Having said that the local economy was in decent shape so most people got jobs elsewhere. Situation is somewhat different now.

The Iceman

So after 6 months of waiting we finally got our comp plan yesterday.
We got a $5000 increase in salary which will then be retroactive and paid in a lump sum in the next bonus period (last pay period of July).
Then comes the bad news:  They increase our sales quota by 26% and cut our commission in half.  The commission we have been paid out on at last year's rate has to be retro acted over the past 6 months and paid back.  So if you have done well in sales you owe them money back - if you have had a bad 6 months then you get paid the back dated salary increase and come out better than the boys who were the top of the sales board.

How's that for shite?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Donagh

Watching people go into a meeting room one after the other here to be told they're out of a job. f**king raging about the way this is being handled. Doing this is a public place is offering no dignity to these people at all.

lynchbhoy

glad you survived Donagh
I feel for the poor hoors that are getting the chop throughout the country.
Know of  few getting this today.

However I also know of a company that are trying to publicise that they are taking on 25 IT developers, and the media/press/TV etc dont want to bother announcing this !

Massey-135

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 19, 2009, 12:33:26 PM
glad you survived Donagh
I feel for the poor hoors that are getting the chop throughout the country.
Know of  few getting this today.

However I also know of a company that are trying to publicise that they are taking on 25 IT developers, and the media/press/TV etc dont want to bother announcing this !

Is that a outfit in Newry Lynchbhoy?

ludermor

Our sites were given notification yesterday that pickets will be in place next monday as the electricians union (the TEEU) have called for strike action.
http://www.teeu.ie/default.asp

http://www.teeu.ie/enjic_downloads/Rates_leaflet_25_06_09.pdf
Above is a link to the current hourly rates and the proposed rates ( 10% reduction). I must say there is a time and a place for these negotiations but it is hardly now when most workers are either out of work or in grave danger of losing their jobs. Most people i know would e happy to take a 10% pay cut. We are negotiating with the brickies and carpenters union at the minute and they will accept 20% deduction on rates they probably still have to come down more but that is purely because they are starting from a very high base ( this is just union jobs might i add, the moeny on non union jobs would be a fraction of this)
Could be an interesting few weeks as i cant see the electrical contractors backing down on this

longball

Considering so many people are out of work and desperate for a job this is a bit of a joke.
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

ludermor

Its nto good timing i agree but the TEEU would be known as one of the fairer non militant unions in the construction industry and they do have a point in that agreed increases last year were not honoured ( like they were in other areas of construction). But now is not the time to be pushing for the increase and i doubt if they will get much sympathy from the public

Jimmy

What does anyone think of the state of the economy? 6 people got laid off from my work this week. I had thought we had seen off the worst of the recession. We all took a cut in hours and pay in January and thought that would be the height of it at this stage. I was even thinking of asking for my money back as things had seemed to be looking better as we were quite busy. Do you think is there still worse to come from this recession, particularly in the construction industry?

The whole thing was handled pretty badly. Were split over 3 office's and the boss told 1 office first which led to rumours in our office which left a pretty bad feeling all week. Also some people were given a month's notice and some people were told it was effective now, which I'm sure isn't exactly legal.

The way it was done was that everyone was talked to at some point over the last 2 days and told they were all right or not. However he hasn't talked to me yet which I'm not sure is all that great a sign.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Jimmy on October 30, 2009, 10:31:00 PM
What does anyone think of the state of the economy? 6 people got laid off from my work this week. I had thought we had seen off the worst of the recession. We all took a cut in hours and pay in January and thought that would be the height of it at this stage. I was even thinking of asking for my money back as things had seemed to be looking better as we were quite busy. Do you think is there still worse to come from this recession, particularly in the construction industry?

The whole thing was handled pretty badly. Were split over 3 office's and the boss told 1 office first which led to rumours in our office which left a pretty bad feeling all week. Also some people were given a month's notice and some people were told it was effective now, which I'm sure isn't exactly legal.

The way it was done was that everyone was talked to at some point over the last 2 days and told they were all right or not. However he hasn't talked to me yet which I'm not sure is all that great a sign. The worst thing is that he has got rid of the people I would be more friendly with and kept the ass holes!
Um, none of that sounds very legal!or handled well
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

muppet

Am I right in thinking that only the OP or an administrator can edit the title of a thread?

If so welcome back Longball.
MWWSI 2017

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Jimmy on October 30, 2009, 10:31:00 PM

The way it was done was that everyone was talked to at some point over the last 2 days and told they were all right or not. However he hasn't talked to me yet which I'm not sure is all that great a sign. The worst thing is that he has got rid of the people I would be more friendly with and kept the ass holes!
I am not sure why you want to tell the world this  :o
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Archie Mitchell

muppet, longball's 1st post on this thread was last edited on 3rd June 09, so unfortunately he's not back with us.

ardmhacaabu, why would he not tell us? It's not as if these assholes are likely to read the board. It's his opinion, so he can say what he wants on the board, whether you or pints like it or not!