Is the Board dying on its Feet

Started by Barney, March 04, 2009, 08:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Tim Buzaglo on March 04, 2009, 11:55:21 AM
Quote from: tyrone86 on March 04, 2009, 10:54:23 AM
Quote from: Minder on March 04, 2009, 10:47:20 AM
A few less Tyronies would help

I was waiting on someone to suggest that. Funny enough, I concur completely.

I agree with this as well.  If only there was a way to set some kind of quota.  The sheer amount of them means that all potentially good threads/discussions will deviate to the following discussions :-

Mickey harte is a bollox (Pre July last year)
Mickey Harte deserves a nighthood (Post september)
Mcmenaman is a p***k
McMenaman is a hardy boy
How much better is Sean Cavanagh than everyone else in the country?
Is Canavan the best player ever to lace boots? Is he f**k, what about Frank McGuigan, 5 points from the left...........
Was Mugsys goal the greatest score ever at Croke Park? Was it f**k. what about Doohers point last year
Tiger Woods comeback from injury? reminiscent to Brian McGuigan......
Brian Doohers bravery....???!!!
Brian McGuigan is awful unlucky isn't he (i agree with this by the way, just doesn't need to be reasserted in a daily basis
Leona Lewis the best singer to be discovered on reality tv show - what about Malachy Cush?
Kerry have some full forward line - its not better than ours
Beards - hilarious!!!??
Phone numbers on arms
Goading on the ground
Bollock fiddling
Dog fighting
Shite Irish news articles by Harte

Needless to say, it slightly irritates me that every conversation turns to one of the above!!!

Could not have put it better myself.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

INDIANA

its been dead a while. Too many silly threads and too many bulllshit artists north of  the border. Real lack of debate here.

rosnarun

could be something to do with the precious attitude of many of the senoir members . the pedant the spell checkers and the topic police . moving the hurling was a bad move to the oneness of the noard.
maybe its time to start a recruitment DRive .
Im sure gaelic life would give us a bit of coverage not to mention the national dailies during a quiet wee they see it a a column filler.. But i cant see many here actually wanting that
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

SidelineKick

Quote from: INDIANA on March 04, 2009, 12:03:29 PM
its been dead a while. Too many silly threads and too many bulllshit artists north of  the border. Real lack of debate here.

Indiana nobody makes you enter the silly threads. Anyone that finds them entertaining and a laugh, leave them to it.  You don't walk into a chinese restaurant and complain they don't do pizza!  Each to their own.

Personally those "silly threads" gave me a hell of a lot of laughs over the few weeks they were about.  Lack of debate?  You will find there is plenty of debate on the board, you won't find it in if you keep looking in the sill thread though  ;)
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

INDIANA

Don't agree , too many good threads are hijacked by bullshit artists. If you want to deal in the banal then stick to the non-gaa board.

muppet

Quote from: SidelineKick on March 04, 2009, 12:12:26 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 04, 2009, 12:03:29 PM

Indiana nobody makes you enter the silly threads. Anyone that finds them entertaining and a laugh, leave them to it.  You don't walk into a chinese restaurant and complain they don't do pizza!  Each to their own.

Personally those "silly threads" gave me a hell of a lot of laughs over the few weeks they were about.  Lack of debate?  You will find there is plenty of debate on the board, you won't find it in if you keep looking in the sill thread though  ;)

I used to do it all the time. But it's just not PC anymore.  :'(

Now thanks to our multiculturalism everyone says 'Ni hao' to a chinese waitress or 'Gin Dobre' to a Polish waitress, even my father! (Except he says 'Ní hea' and 'Gin double'.)

MWWSI 2017

SidelineKick

With all due respect Indiana, you cannot tell me where to post.  If I have an opinion on something GAA related then I will certainly post it in the GAA section, as I have done many times before.  What you might consider bullshit may not be what everyone else considers bullshit.  Some might say you need to lighten up.

Out of interest, which particular thread have been hijacked by "bullshit artists"?

Reported.

Minder

Quote from: INDIANA on March 04, 2009, 12:49:11 PM
Don't agree , too many good threads are hijacked by bullshit artists. If you want to deal in the banal then stick to the non-gaa board.

Aye because the "banal" is never apparent in the Gaa Section.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Canalman

A slight criticism of mine is that it is a  little too centred on the North imo. Would love to hear more about the rest of the country. Still a good forum all the same.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Canalman on March 04, 2009, 01:08:58 PM
A slight criticism of mine is that it is a  little too centred on the North imo. Would love to hear more about the rest of the country. Still a good forum all the same.

Thats a fair enough assessment, though there is a strong northern representation on here.  Whenever a northern issue arises then everybody from here has an opinion on it hence the discussion is centred on the north.

Reported.

Orior

I would agree, but where are the boys from Wicklow, Wexford, Carlow, Waterford and Kilkenny?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

rrhf

I agree sometimes its crap, and abusinve even,  but there are sublime moments of high quality from many posters:
Its not inspiring at the moment OK - there should be more emphasis on orgininal viewpoints and off the wall articles, composed by the contributors and less on the day to day news within the GAA. We have enough writers / journos on here to keep the quality high.  When times are bad O Neill usually comes up with a gem or two.         

BennyHarp

Quote from: Tim Buzaglo on March 04, 2009, 11:55:21 AM
Quote from: tyrone86 on March 04, 2009, 10:54:23 AM
Quote from: Minder on March 04, 2009, 10:47:20 AM
A few less Tyronies would help

I was waiting on someone to suggest that. Funny enough, I concur completely.

I agree with this as well.  If only there was a way to set some kind of quota.  The sheer amount of them means that all potentially good threads/discussions will deviate to the following discussions :-

Mickey harte is a bollox (Pre July last year)
Mickey Harte deserves a nighthood (Post september)
Mcmenaman is a p***k
McMenaman is a hardy boy
How much better is Sean Cavanagh than everyone else in the country?
Is Canavan the best player ever to lace boots? Is he f**k, what about Frank McGuigan, 5 points from the left...........
Was Mugsys goal the greatest score ever at Croke Park? Was it f**k. what about Doohers point last year
Tiger Woods comeback from injury? reminiscent to Brian McGuigan......
Brian Doohers bravery....???!!!
Brian McGuigan is awful unlucky isn't he (i agree with this by the way, just doesn't need to be reasserted in a daily basis
Leona Lewis the best singer to be discovered on reality tv show - what about Malachy Cush?
Kerry have some full forward line - its not better than ours
Beards - hilarious!!!??
Phone numbers on arms
Goading on the ground
Bollock fiddling
Dog fighting
Shite Irish news articles by Harte

Needless to say, it slightly irritates me that every conversation turns to one of the above!!!

Well done, you've turned this into a Tyrone thread!!
That was never a square ball!!

mountainboii

Quote from: Orior on March 04, 2009, 01:26:08 PM

I would agree, but where are the boys from Wicklow, Wexford, Carlow, Waterford and Kilkenny?

This is something that I've wondered since I joined about 18 months ago.

Why is the board so Ulster centric? What happened in the evolution of the board that pushed it this way?

Is it simply that there is more interest in the GAA in the north (don't really think thats the reason myself)? Or do the rest stick to sites like hoganstand or specific county message boards?

The board would improve greatly if there was a more rounded representation of the whole country.

Stall the Bailer

It isn't dead yet, by a long shot. We have only had a few reincarnations so far since the original board. 5/6 cat lives left yet.