Oops!!

Started by stpauls, February 27, 2009, 01:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

Mickey Harte has turned into an awful media whore... does he ever shut up ?

Armamike

There are far too many appeals allowed in the GAA.  3 appeals against a decision is farcical. Is there really a need for all this? It seems to give counties like Tyrone the encouragement to appeal and appeal until they get, in Mickey's words the 'correct' decision (in his opinion). If counties threaten to go to court call their bluff.  I wonder how many would actually go through with it and how it would be viewed if they actually did.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: irunthev on March 11, 2009, 04:56:44 PM
Top teams seldom accept their punishments these days...... it's all part of the siege mentality that the managers try and instill with their players. Last year the likes of Darragh O'Se made headlines when they announced they would ACCEPT their suspensions - that's how far things have changed.  The amount of appeals that are being allowed is merely another step towards the authorities who are supposed to be running the games being undermined by those who play the games. Fair play has nothing to do with any appeal and I am sure many within Tyrone and connected with Ricey would wish the thing would be let lie, because the more it drags on the worse and worse he looks. I don't know if he is behind the appeals or whether it is just management? Players being annoyed with officialdom isn't something new, it's just that years ago, when you were caught, you said fair cop and took your punishment. Now when you are caught, teams use it as fuel to drive them on and show how everybody hates them and wants them to lose. It's amateur players and managers playing at being amateur psychologists. I'm a northerner myself, and this type of approach plays right into the persecution complex that developed north of the border for totally different reasons since the mid 1960s and earlier. The thing is now the circus has spread throughout Ireland and everyone is at it, making Croke Park's disciplinary team look very very incompetent. Would this happen in rugby...... no sir.
That's a well-considered post. To my way of thinking, it covers a lot of pertinent points and I'd have no argument with the poster.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tyrone Dreamer

Any self respecting county would appeal if their players were being treated differently to players from other counties for the exact same offence. I expect the DRA will rule in Tyrone's favour and fully justify Tyrone's appeal. It will be the fault of the previous commitees for messing around  and getting it wrong each time. The DRA will ensure fair play is done and Tyrone had no choice but to go down this route.

Mike Sheehy

The only fair outcome to any appeal would be a further doubling of his suspension.

rosnarun

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 12, 2009, 12:29:26 AM
The only fair outcome to any appeal would be a further doubling of his suspension.
here here  and that should apply in all cases .after the 1st appeal. and that applies in this case as the origianl ban was brought in after a video appeal by the powers that be.
of course you dont have these problems in rugby as you have to shoot a player who is at least 10 yards from the ball to get a suspension in the 1st place . every one else is fair game is it anyy wonder nearly a 1/3 of players are injoured at any one time
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rrhf

while not in favour of the appeal culture, for too long there has been a santas sack attitude towards suspensions in the GAA,, "now run along little chappie theres 6 weeks for ye."  - those deviating from precedent and the rule book are effectively a law until themselves.  As a Tyrone man I would like to see Bellew get suspended more than he does, but I cant just suspend him for more than the rest because hes Francie.  We must ensure there is good practice used for our suspenders as well as our suspended.  Theres only one logic in this case - 4 weeks as per precedent and the rescinding of any penalty as the previous suspenders didnt do the proper job.

David McKeown

Quote from: rrhf on March 12, 2009, 08:11:44 AM
while not in favour of the appeal culture, for too long there has been a santas sack attitude towards suspensions in the GAA,, "now run along little chappie theres 6 weeks for ye."  - those deviating from precedent and the rule book are effectively a law until themselves.  As a Tyrone man I would like to see Bellew get suspended more than he does, but I cant just suspend him for more than the rest because hes Francie.  We must ensure there is good practice used for our suspenders as well as our suspended.  Theres only one logic in this case - 4 weeks as per precedent and the rescinding of any penalty as the previous suspenders didnt do the proper job.

Precedent in a legal sense doesn't work like that though.  The rule book allows for a range of suspensions for a reason and as a result all incidents must be looked on their own facts.  Consequently factors such as the severity of the type of offence and other aggravating and mitigating factors have to be looked at.  Following precedent in sentencing is for guideline purposes.  In this case though I would agree that McMenamin's 8 week suspension is overly severe. 

As stated previously i don't think the idea of doubling suspensions for unsuccessful appeals is fair.  It would be unduly harsh on borderline suspension victims.

2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Onion Bag

Quote from: rrhf on March 12, 2009, 08:11:44 AM

What has Francie done on you?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

The GAA

QuoteTyrone drop McMenamim DRA appeal
13 March 2009

Tyrone have abandoned plans to appeal Ryan McMenamin's eight-week suspension any further.

It was expected that the Red Hands would take their case to the Disputes Resolution Authority in the hope of having the ban halved, and only this week, manager Mickey Harte had urged the arbitration body to have the case heard before Sunday's crucial NFL clash with Westmeath.

However, Tyrone are now resigned to McMenamin having to serve out his suspension.

"Our considered opinion is that we will not take it to the DRA," Tyrone chairman Pat Darcy said.

McMenamin was suspended for grabbing Paul Galvin's groin in the NFL game against Kerry on February 15 and was duly handed a six-week ban. But when Tyrone appealed the suspension to the Central Hearings Committee, it was increased to eight weeks.

Must have been no wiggle room for fergal so

longrunsthefox

Just read a couple of yer recent posts smelly glove. I get abuse for some of my texts but you make the Fox look like Mary Poppins the vitroile (look it up in a dictionary!) you spew

SidelineKick

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 13, 2009, 04:28:19 PM
Just read a couple of yer recent posts smelly glove. I get abuse for some of my texts but you make the Fox look like Mary Poppins the vitroile (look it up in a dictionary!) you spew

Thats one of your best posts yet longrunsthefox  :D

Seriously though, must be a complete WUM.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteJust read a couple of yer recent posts smelly glove. I get abuse for some of my texts but you make the Fox look like Mary Poppins the vitroile (look it up in a dictionary!) you spew

what dictionary would that be ?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 13, 2009, 06:47:58 PM
QuoteJust read a couple of yer recent posts smelly glove. I get abuse for some of my texts but you make the Fox look like Mary Poppins the vitroile (look it up in a dictionary!) you spew

what dictionary would that be ?

The one that says 'yerra'

Mike Sheehy

Oh thats very vitroilic of you.