Weekend in Cork

Started by FermPundit, February 23, 2009, 07:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermPundit

Me and a few friends are heading down to Cork in two weeks time for the Fermanagh NFL match. I have never been in Cork before so my knowledge of the city is pretty poor. Does anyone know of any decent B&Bs or hotels that we could stay in? With regards heading out on the Saturday night, are there any pubs or clubs people would recommend?

Thanks.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

leenie

if you google western rd cork city you will find dozens of bb's and the are within 2 mins of the city centre and more importantly the pubs, since you are heading down for the match you will fit in perfectly in reardons on washington street, large bar downstairs with a club upstairs... and there is loads of bars around there as well! but you'll fit in well in reardons, make sure they hear your accents and you're sorted  ;)
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

downgirl

Most places in the city centre are expensive enough, as far as I know Jurys on Western Road/Washington St is €129 a night, there are loads of B&Bs out Western road towards UCC and even further out towards where I am living, I suppose it depends how close you want to be to the city centre really.  Garnish house is meant to be a good B&B, just oppsite the college gates so its about a 10 minute walk to the city centre.

As for clubs to head out in, Havanas is a good spot, Reardens or the Wash is good for beforehand, you could try Gorbys or something but it might be a young crowd (sorry don't know what age you are lol) I don't really know as I wouldn't be in there at weekends.  One thing you will need us plenty of €€€€€!!

Whereabouts is the match? Pairc Ui Caoimh?  Are youse driving down?

FermPundit

We're driving down from Belfast via Dublin. I'm not doing the driving so I am letting others plan the route. We looked at the possibility of flying but the flights are too dear and the flight times didn't suit everyone. As far as I know the match is in Páirc Uí Rinn. Is this close to the city centre? We were hoping to stay as close to the city centre as possible. The match is on Sunday at 2pm. Given the boys that are heading down with me, it is likely we'll be looking to go out in the Cork equivalent of the Bot!!

Quote from: leenie on February 23, 2009, 07:54:26 PM
if you google western rd cork city you will find dozens of bb's and the are within 2 mins of the city centre and more importantly the pubs, since you are heading down for the match you will fit in perfectly in reardons on washington street, large bar downstairs with a club upstairs... and there is loads of bars around there as well! but you'll fit in well in reardons, make sure they hear your accents and you're sorted  ;)

I hope they enjoy our broad Fermanagh accents as well!! I just hope we can understand the Cork accent!!

Quote from: downgirl on February 23, 2009, 07:55:33 PM
As for clubs to head out in, Havanas is a good spot, Reardens or the Wash is good for beforehand, you could try Gorbys or something but it might be a young crowd (sorry don't know what age you are lol) I don't really know as I wouldn't be in there at weekends.  One thing you will need us plenty of €€€€€!!

I forgot to say, we're all in our mid to late twenties

downgirl

Fermpundit are you driving down on the Friday or the Saturday?  There's a new part of the Cork-Dublin motorway open from like just after Durrow I think to Mitchelstown which is great time saving, however I would recommend driving down directly and stopping off for petrol at Urlingford as this is the cheapest place to get it on the way down the road, it means coming off the new stretch of motorway but u just go off and on at the same exit, theres a petrol station just on the right hand side of Urlingford as you go in, only 2 mins off the motorway like.  As for coming into Cork, I suppose it depends where you end up staying but if you are this side (Western rd) side of Cork city it might be easier to go through the Jack Lynch tunnel and out the south ring road and turning off at Wilton to bring you through to this side of the city rather than having to try to get through the city centre, it's the way I would always go anyway.

As for Pairc Ui Rinn, its out Ballinlough direction I think? So probably the best way is to go out the south ring road again and take the turn off for Mahon/Blackrock, I can find out directions if you need me to!

I don't think there is an equivalent to the bot, don't seem to be too many mucksavages around here!!!  ;)  Havanas would be your best bet, I love it anyway.  And you can go to reardens before hand and havanas is just behind it (it's owned by the same people).

muppet

QuoteI have never been in Cork before so my knowledge of the city is pretty poor.

Pretty poor is amazing for someone who was never there, if I was never there my knowledge would be nil.
MWWSI 2017

FermPundit

Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2009, 08:40:29 PM
QuoteI have never been in Cork before so my knowledge of the city is pretty poor.

Pretty poor is amazing for someone who was never there, if I was never there my knowledge would be nil.

Well any knowlege I do have has been gained from reading the internet over the last few days

Quote from: downgirl on February 23, 2009, 08:36:47 PM
Fermpundit are you driving down on the Friday or the Saturday? 
As for Pairc Ui Rinn, its out Ballinlough direction I think? So probably the best way is to go out the south ring road again and take the turn off for Mahon/Blackrock, I can find out directions if you need me to!

I think we're going to head down from Belfast early on Saturday morning. I think we should be ok for directions but thanks for the offer.

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermPundit

leenie

reardons is the bot but with southerners!

pity your not staying down on the sunday as thats the best night and they always have a good old band playing... but it will be good on the Saturday night

fermanagh accent meets north cork city accent .... man i wish i could i be there!

pairc ui rinn is outside the city, its a tidy wee walk i'd suggest getting a taxi there and walk back into the town as there will be loads walking and should be good craic...

its a small city you'd walk her in a day so you'll not get lost..

and i'd suggest tonys bistro on the sunday morning ... best frys ever!

Lecale2

God help you. That's all I can say.

Fermanaghandsam

Going to head down myself as well, cant wait.

Tonts Bistro will def be hit me thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!

So do the ladies down there have a fondness for the northern accent then  ;D

FermPundit

Quote from: Lecale2 on February 23, 2009, 08:59:47 PM
God help you. That's all I can say.

Do you mind the long journey?

leenie

you'd be amazed at how an accent can work for ya...

when i lived there they use to tell me how lucky i was to be from the north getting to hear the accent all the time  :-\

it could sometimes get annoying when ppl woud say .... "go on say something"

i prefer the midlands accent!

muppet

Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on February 23, 2009, 09:06:54 PM
Going to head down myself as well, cant wait.

Tonts Bistro will def be hit me thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!

So do the ladies down there have a fondness for the northern accent then  ;D

No, but the lads love it.
MWWSI 2017