mayo help

Started by puc me, February 19, 2009, 11:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puc me

me and the missus are heading to mayo for the tyrone game on easter sun and are thinking about staying on for a few days can any of you mayo folk recommend a hotel any gaa pubs and any activites that are on easter mon and tue, thanks  ::)
all ireland champions and lovin' it

ziggysego

I've stayed in the Castle Court Hotel a few times in Westport puc me. Excellent hotel.
Testing Accessibility

puc me

Quote from: ziggysego on February 19, 2009, 11:10:45 PM
I've stayed in the Castle Court Hotel a few times in Westport puc me. Excellent hotel.
anything like ewings ziggy ;D

gerry

many a sunday i spent here in mayo,

great spot
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ziggysego

Quote from: puc me on February 19, 2009, 11:12:06 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 19, 2009, 11:10:45 PM
anything like ewings ziggy ;D

:D

Nah, I'm be serious this time. I like that Hotel.

Testing Accessibility

stephenite

puc me

Quote from: gerry on February 19, 2009, 11:13:02 PM
many a sunday i spent here in mayo,

great spot
i could do a stop off maybe not 2/3 days

FL/MAYO

Mick Byrne's in Castlebar is the main GAA pub in Castlebar, you might run into the great Willie Joe in there. There is an autographed Tyrone jersey on the wall which will make you right at home.
Westport would probably be the best spot to base yourself for sight seeing, not sure of the best hotel though. Ziggy suggested the Castlecourt which is centrally located in the town near all the pubs.

puc me

Quote from: FL/MAYO on February 19, 2009, 11:46:02 PM
Mick Byrne's in Castlebar is the main GAA pub in Castlebar, you might run into the great Willie Joe in there. There is an autographed Tyrone jersey on the wall which will make you right at home.
Westport would probably be the best spot to base yourself for sight seeing, not sure of the best hotel though. Ziggy suggested the Castlecourt which is centrally located in the town near all the pubs.

met willie joe years ago a gentleman gave autographs to us, that autographed jersey is it screwed on to the wall with a star head or a flat head i will tell the wife to pack a screwdriver anyway... ;D

Turlough O Carolan

If it's your first time in Mayo, it's a lovely county, nice unspoilt scenery, with wonderful people, some of the nicest in Ireland. And I say that as a Roscommon man. However, and this is the peculiar thing, when it comes to GAA I find them insufferable. Cannot bare listening to them at all. If you are looking to take the missus on a bit of sight seeing, you cannot beat Westport, taking her to Croagh Partrick and Clew Bay. The Knockranny is a great hotel. One of the best pubs in town is Matt Molloys (of Chieftains fame), himself a Ros man from Ballaghaderreen. Good place for a pint and some ceol. Not too far from Westport is Mulranny, one of the nicest spots in Mayo with some nice places to walk along the beach. There's a a very nice hotel there - The Park Inn, which used to be I think the Railway Hotel. John Lennon used to stay there. Always found it had a great pint and some nice food. If you want to really see the wilds of Mayo keep driving till you get to Achill Island. If you'd rather stay near Castlebar, Turlough House is worth visiting. There's an museum there that gives a slice of life in Ireland in olden times. If you are looking for a bit of a spiritual retreat, you could go to Knock where Mary herself made an appearance back in the 1800s. Ironically not too far from Knock is Toureen Dancehall where the Devil himself made an equally famous appearance back in the 50s. If you want to get really touristy Cong is also in Mayo, and that's where the Duke - the one and only John Wayne -  made the Quiet Man film with Maureen O'Hara. Ashford Castle is nearby - you might even be able to avail of a recession rate. I hears there's good deals going about. If not, it's worth taking a trip into the grounds as it provides beautiful views of Lough Corrib. While you're in Mayo, herself might also enjoy a visit to Foxford Woolen Millls if it is open. Good place to get unique gifts from Mayo and the like. If you are looking for entertainment, the TF Royal in Castlebar always has some major acts. Joe Dolan - God Rest His Soul - even played there last week. Beat that Toureen Devil.

Bod Mor

Good man Turlough, I can hardly bare listening to myself talk about football sometimes either. To be fair though, there isn't really much else to talk about half the time!

Anyway, more information there in your post than I knew myself!!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

ziggysego

What's this craic about the Toureen Dancehall Devil? Any heard that before.
Testing Accessibility

stephenite

The Ceide fields is further North but the scenery up around them parts is well worth the effort - stop off in Ballina and head for the Quay village, pop into John Keanes pub on the banks of the world renowned River Moy for the best pint of stout in Ireland, head next door and into Crocketts which won Irish pub of the year a few years back, take a stroll to look at the large stone ship that sits in the middle of the river.
Head back to Castlebar via the Lough drive around Conn and Cullen, taking in Crossmolina and Knockmore - into Healys for a spot of lunch, sit outside and admire the views across Lough Cullen.
This trip will also allow you to take in the real football heartland of Mayo.

stephenite

Quote from: ziggysego on February 20, 2009, 03:21:25 AM

The devil is from South Mayo, and he has all the locals playing hurling.

Seriously though, if Satan himself did make a visit in the fifties, maybe Sam Maguire is scared shitless and doesn't want to go back?

Makes as much sense as Pat McEneaney's decision to send Liam Mac off in '96

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: ziggysego on February 20, 2009, 03:21:25 AM

A strange fella turned up at Toureen Dancehall it its heyday (a thriving dancehall in the West of Ireland ran by Msgr Horan who would later go on to greater fame when he built Knock Airport). He was according to reports a handsome devil who starting dancing with all the ladies in a provocative way, the like of which was never seen before in those rural parts. Father Horan spent the night trying to separate him from the women and those who were there said he smelled of sulphur. He supposedly went off with one of the women before the night was over. The penny dropped that it was the Devil himself and everyone was afraid to go to the dancehall after that. Father Horan maintained to his dying day that it was Albert Reynolds who himself was running some rival dancehalls in Roscommon and the Midlands that set the whole thing up, in an effort to lure customers away from Toureen.

Those were the days.