Babhta 3 Tyrone V Galway Saturday 7th March 2009

Started by rrhf, February 16, 2009, 12:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Surprised that Barry has not made it back into the starting 15.  I would have thought his presence would have given us a slight edge at midfield.  It will be interesting to see how we get on this weekend.  Whilst it was great to finally get a win against the Dubs, they were very poor on the day and I would expect a much more stern test in Omagh from a weakened Tyrone side.

=====================================================================================

Galway have a realistic chance of getting two points in Omagh

Galway footballers will head to Omagh on Saturday afternoon knowing they face a really tough evening's football and a thorough examination of their mental and physical fortitude.
Ray Silke

How they perform against the current All-Ireland champions will tell us a lot about the real progress being made under Liam Sammon, and a win, especially up there, would do wonders for team morale and put the team in a good position going into a month with four consecutive games.

While there was much to be enjoyed and admired about the team's display in the recent win over Dublin, some questions still exist about how the side will cope with a step up in class. And a few answers will be provided by 9pm on Saturday.

The Galway team was to be announced last night (Wednesday), but there is unlikely to be too many changes from the side that defeated Dublin.

Barry Cullinane is back from suspension and he is a live option to come into the midfield alongside Joe Bergin. Cullinane's power, height, and aerial ability would cause trouble against a Tyrone midfield that are not overly tall. However they are very mobile, with Enda McGinley in particular well capable of breaking forward, creating, and taking scores.

Nicky Joyce is also back from the injury he sustained against Westmeath and his return is a big plus. He too could come straight back into the starting fifteen.

Both Damien and Alan Burke from Corofin are back training with Galway, and while they are unlikely to see much action this weekend, they provide defensive cover for both the corner back and wing-back positions.

Tyrone will be without some top players for this tie and definitely out this weekend are All-Star wing-back Philip Jordan (holidays), big Joe McMahon (injured), free-scoring Stephen O'Neill (injured), Brian Dooher (injured), and the suspended Ryan McMenamin which are all positives for Galway. Each of those men is a very fine player and their unavailability weakens Mickey Harte's hand.

The two key forward players that Galway must curtail if they are to collect two points on their trip north are Sean Cavanagh and Owen Mulligan.

Cavanagh is a magnificent player, and if he is given space and time, he will destroy any opposition – just ask Kerry – so he must be stopped and shadowed at every turn.

It is unrealistic to expect any individual player to nullify Cavanagh completely so each Galway defender and midfielder must be prepared to do some quality harrying and chasing back when required to stop him.

If Cavanagh could be dispossessed a few times, it would frustrate his teammates and the home crowd. And with Dooher, who is one of their main leaders, out, Galway's ability to stop Cavanagh would go a long way to springing a surprise.

Whoever is marking Owen Mulligan must also get very tight and physical with him. He can get frustrated with himself easily enough and I have seen him yellow carded and sent off on occasion when things are not going his way.

Of course the opposite is true too, and when he is on form, he can really fillet a full-back line. Remember his wonder goal against Dublin in the All-Ireland quarter-final replay in 2005? For the record he scored 1-07 in that game.

A key battle from a Galway perspective will be Michael Meehan against Conor Gormley. Meehan has been in great scoring form, and if he can do damage on the edge of the square, then Galway will be in with a great chance of victory. Gormley has an inclination to foul his man, and if Michael runs at him and takes him on as Conor Mortimer did last year, then scorable frees should flow.

Tyrone are expected to come through this with home advantage, but if Galway can continue in the same vein as they did in the first half against Dublin in Pearse stadium, they have nothing to fear.

Kerry went up to Omagh and scored two goals and beat them, and it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that Galway can do likewise.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Red Hands make sweeping changes

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte has made nine changes to his side for Saturday's floodlit Allianz NFL Division One clash with Galway at Healy Park.

Ryan McMenamin has been ruled out through suspension and Philip Jordan is unavailable, enforcing two changes.

John Devine starts in goal and Conor Gormley, PJ Quinn and Cathal McCarron all come into the defence.

Colin Holmes plays at midfield and up front, Ryan Mellon, Martin Penrose and Raymond Mulgrew come into the side.

Goalkeeper Johnny Curran drops out of the team which lost to Kerry last time out.

Tyrone: J Devine, PJ Quinn, J McMahon, M Swift, D Harte, C Gormley, C McCarron, E McGinley, C Holmes, T McGuigan, C McCullagh, R Mellon, M Penrose, S Cavanagh, R Mulgrew.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Sweeping changes indeed, and glad to see it. Some surprising omissions: Cassidy, Mulligan...
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

gerry

surprised cassidy not on as i thought he had a good game last time, no surprise on mugsy not playing as i am still not convinced he is the real deal
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: gerry on March 05, 2009, 09:33:25 PM
surprised cassidy not on as i thought he had a good game last time, no surprise on mugsy not playing as i am still not convinced he is the real deal

Youre a hard man to please! Mugsy proved he was the real deal a long time ago.

Good to see a few changes, thats what the league is for. Its a big panel as well and its only fair all the players get a run out at some stage. Chance for the likes of McCarron and Mulgrew to stake a claim.

ONeill

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 05, 2009, 08:55:27 AM

Whoever is marking Owen Mulligan must also get very tight and physical with him. He can get frustrated with himself easily enough and I have seen him yellow carded and sent off on occasion when things are not going his way.

Of course the opposite is true too, and when he is on form, he can really fillet a full-back line. Remember his wonder goal against Dublin in the All-Ireland quarter-final replay in 2005? For the record he scored 1-07 in that game.

Well done Ray Silke. Is this fella taken seriously over there?

For the record Ray, he scored the wonder goal in the first game. For the record he score 1-1 that day.

I'd also like to see details of these yellow and red cards Mugsy gets.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on March 05, 2009, 10:48:07 PM
For the record Ray, he scored the wonder goal in the first game. For the record he score 1-1 that day.

I'd also like to see details of these yellow and red cards Mugsy gets.

I've done enough of the picking up on crap on here over the last few weeks, I thought I'd let those few gems go.

What's your take on the team?

ONeill

Just glad to see Mulgrew, McCarron, Penrose, Mellon, Quinn and Swift getting good time against a team many see as challengers this year. I'm back to my pessimistic self and don't see us beating a Galway side in-form especially with a lack of scoring power if Sean is bottled up or needed further out the field. It's some test for Quinn and Swift with McMahon v Meehan a battle wirth keeping an eye on esp after Justin's unconvincing performance against Walsh. A bit of 'out of the frying pan' for him. Will it be a Joyce/Gormley joust? I liked the look of McCarron - a good footballer and excellent replacement for Jordan. Reminds me of Killian Young. Surprised at Cassidy's omission and I thought the more starting time Mugsy got the better but this is the time for trying out the alternatives.

Tommy in beside Sean would be my choice and a possibility.  Mellon to dung out around the middle with McCullagh, Penrose and Mulgrew mopping up.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I'm glad to see it myself Shane, this is the exact class of game that will kill or cure a few of the possibles. That's not to say, however, that those individuals who fail to rise to the necessary on this occasion are lost causes, though it is to say that those who do rise are right in the grip of the groove. Not surprised with MH.

ONeill

I think we're now seeing (esp over the last 12 months) how adaptable so many of the players are. All 6 forwards could do an equally good job in any position from 10-15 with Mellon and Sean also viable midfielders (I've actually always though Mellon could do a job at 5 or 7). McGinley is as good a corner forward as he is midfielder. Throw in Joe McMahon who could be named anywhere from 2-15 and Ricey 2-7 and don't forget his stint as a forward in the McKenna a couple of years ago. Justin could play anywhere from FB to FF. Gormley's an all-rounder in defence as well as midfield. Jordan has played CB on occasions. Mickey's head must be wrecked picking horses for courses.

I'm sure if Mugsy's not injured he'll see good time as well.

loughshore lad

Good to see PJ and McCarron back in the defence.  PJ was perfroming well until he got injured against Down in the marshes last year and I think he has the potential to cement a place in the side, a better option than McGee in my opinion.  McCarron at wing back is an interesting selection, although he predominantly plays full back for Dromore he is strong, athletic and comfortable on the ball.  This will be a very tough assignment for tyrone tomorrow night and if the pitch is in decent shape could turn out to be a very exciting game.

SidelineKick

Quote from: ONeill on March 05, 2009, 11:23:14 PM
I think we're now seeing (esp over the last 12 months) how adaptable so many of the players are. All 6 forwards could do an equally good job in any position from 10-15 with Mellon and Sean also viable midfielders (I've actually always though Mellon could do a job at 5 or 7). McGinley is as good a corner forward as he is midfielder. Throw in Joe McMahon who could be named anywhere from 2-15 and Ricey 2-7 and don't forget his stint as a forward in the McKenna a couple of years ago. Justin could play anywhere from FB to FF. Gormley's an all-rounder in defence as well as midfield. Jordan has played CB on occasions. Mickey's head must be wrecked picking horses for courses.

I'm sure if Mugsy's not injured he'll see good time as well.

Not a bad problem to have!  That's the one thing that has stood out for me with Tyrone, they have so many versatile players.  Add into that mix the fact that their subs are as good and as adaptable its probably the main reason why they're current holders of Sam!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Fuzzman

I was at the Dublin match and only saw bits of the Kerry match on the telly.

Devine - Kick outs will be under scrutiny again
PJ Quinn - Glad to see him back as think we need another good fast man marker
J McMahon - Thought he got a roasting against Sherlock and also against Walsh until he was moved outfield (Is he happy at FB?)
M Swift - Havent saw enough of him but looks better half back than a man marker in the corner
D Harte - I'm finally convinced now
C Gormley - Convinced ages ago but think he'll have a tough night on Sat
C McCarron - Have never saw him but looking forward from all the reports
E McGinley - More of the same please Enda including another goal
C Holmes - Usually the spoiler MF & was surprised he got in, in front of Hub & Cassidy
T McGuigan - Would like to see him get a few more scores but have high expectations for Tommy this year
C McCullagh - More of the same for Colm though heavy pitches dont suit him.
R Mellon - Another chance for Ryan to shine but he often fades from games.
M Penrose - In & out of the team a lot also but I must say I am a fan
S Cavanagh - Like last year has been quiet in the league & I wonder is he saving himself a bit.
R Mulgrew - Glad to see him back and hope he puts in a good shift as would like to see him playing come the Summer

Its early days but if we play like we did v the Dubs or 2nd half v Kerry we should win
Then again Galway look to be on a mission too so I can see this being a tough game that could hinge on how well Meehan & Cavanagh play.

Tyrone Dreamer

Suprised at the number of changes. Not sure if Harte has ever made this many for a league or championship game. Also suprised that Mulligan isnt starting but maybe he's injured. Glad to see McCarron and PJ get a go and the defence looks strong enough. Not convinced with the forward line, theirs a few players who have something to prove though. This is the sort of game Holmes will come in from out of the blue and do well in.

Sandino

I think this is an excellent game to give some of the fringe players a chance. Its also a good game to let some of the more established start to make a stronger push for a starting place. Galway are a sporting team who normally play good open football. I think this could be a cracker of a game despite the weather forecast. Let's hope so! To get us back chatting about football rather than incidents.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''