Great sporting occasions/traditions

Started by Chrisowc, February 14, 2009, 01:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisowc

Test match special on the radio, one of the true pleasures in life.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

ziggysego

Sandwiches and tea, at the back of the car on GAA days.
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Lapellos, Dublin on All Ireland Hurling weekend. . . . .
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

As a British citizen: Thee Grand National day, FA Cup final day, AI Final day, first World Cup game of a tournament, Superbowl, Olympic 100m final, World Snooker final.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

The Stephens's Day match....married versus singles, emigrants versus homebirds, livers versus tulip glasses.
MWWSI 2017

the colonel

the difference between success and failure is energy

Dinny Breen

All-Ireland finals, Leinster football final, Six Nations, Test Cricket in the sun, World Cup final, Euro soccer finals, State of Origin, Super Bowel, Masters, Gold Cup and Irish Derby
#newbridgeornowhere

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Minder on February 14, 2009, 09:50:34 AM
Lapellos, Dublin on All Ireland Hurling weekend. . . . .

The Garden of Eden on O'Connell bridge is better
You'll Never Walk Alone.

corn02

The Haka.

The crowds following the leader down the 18th in the British Open.

Main Street

That snooker tournament at the Crucible. 
Like having ones intestines in a permanent vice grip, twisted one way and the other, then released.

doire na raithe

Quote from: ONeill on February 14, 2009, 10:14:15 AM
As a British citizen: Thee Grand National day, FA Cup final day, AI Final day, first World Cup game of a tournament, Superbowl, Olympic 100m final, World Snooker final.

Don't you mean subject...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 14, 2009, 11:27:34 AM
All-Ireland finals, Leinster football final, Six Nations, Test Cricket in the sun, World Cup final, Euro soccer finals, State of Origin, Super Bowel, Masters, Gold Cup and Irish Derby
never mind yer bowels, thought youd appreciate the currie cup final - though it used to be difficult to catch on tv round these parts. Also with the amalgamated teams it not as good and free flowing as it once was.
Similar cricket, imo its gone to carp even since the demise of the great west indian team.

March madness sweet 16 tournament final is also another good annual match

Tony Baloney

The local derby. From AC v Inter to a Kilkenny football match there is always a bitter local rivalry.

British Open, Masters, the final session at the Crucible (how can anyone not like snooker after seeing a 35 frame thriller?!), 100m final, watching a cyclist blow away the peloton and go on to win the stage in Le Tour, England getting put out of a major soccer tournament with an added bonus if it is on pens.

corn02

The British Open is a special one alright.

I love the Kop appluading an opposing goalkeeper on approach to the Kop end. If he appluads back they keep going, if he doesn't appluad he gets a quick boo. Doesn't matter if it is United or Everton, they still get appluase.

Canalman

Personally would rate the Leinster Football Final (pre back door) very highly for occasion and atmosphere.

The rugby games I have gone to (State of Origin, Bledisloe Cup, WC, 5/6 Nations, Cider lgue) all had great atmosphere until the games started and then silence....amazing.

Premiership Soccer isn't great either as isn't Aussie Rules (much better on TV).

Have it on good sources (neutrals) that CP when the Dubs are flying is hard to beat anywhere in the world.Too engrossed myself in those games to comment on that.