Great sporting occasions/traditions

Started by Chrisowc, February 14, 2009, 01:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

muppet

Quote from: Canalman on February 14, 2009, 03:05:03 PM
Personally would rate the Leinster Football Final (pre back door) very highly for occasion and atmosphere.

The rugby games I have gone to (State of Origin, Bledisloe Cup, WC, 5/6 Nations, Cider lgue) all had great atmosphere until the games started and then silence....amazing.

Premiership Soccer isn't great either as isn't Aussie Rules (much better on TV).

Have it on good sources (neutrals) that CP when the Dubs are flying is hard to beat anywhere in the world.Too engrossed myself in those games to comment on that.

I've been at the 3 Mayo Dublin Championship (that I remember) and it was the same. Heard about the atmosphere etc afterwards (1985 drawn game and the 2006 semi) but wasn't really noticing it at the time.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

For Tradition, San Fermin...AKA Running with the bulls, exhilarating experience to say the least!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

bennydorano

Quote from: ziggysego on February 14, 2009, 01:39:32 AM
Sandwiches and tea, at the back of the car on GAA days.

Am I the only one who finds mention of this hackneyed and annoying?

Rossfan

All Ireland Finals
All Ireland Minor Final replays in Ennis
Ros Co Finals
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owenmoresider

Have it on good sources (neutrals) that CP when the Dubs are flying is hard to beat anywhere in the world.Too engrossed myself in those games to comment on that.

Only at two of those, can't really remember the Leitrim semi in 94 too well to judge, but the Sligo qualifier in 2001 wasn't enjoyable. Not painful to watch, just not enjoyable.

Been to numerous AI finals, atmosphere has been great around CP, not as good in the ground, though last year's were better. Connacht finals were always part of the family tradition, and I'd always be at them. Funny but I'd find Championship matches in the pre-backdoor days better for atmosphere alright, unless there is a full house, which isn't so common these days, in the west at any rate.

What's the following btw?

State of Origin, Bledisloe Cup

bridgegael

Quote from: bennydorano on February 14, 2009, 05:31:58 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 14, 2009, 01:39:32 AM
Sandwiches and tea, at the back of the car on GAA days.

Am I the only one who finds mention of this hackneyed and annoying?

i know were your coming from benny!!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Canalman

Owenmoresider, the Bledisloe Cup is the Rugby Union game between New Zealand and Australia. The State of Origin is the Rugby Lgue highlight in Oz..... NSW v Queensland.

Both imo massively talked up events which from my own experience never matched the hype.

On the other hand the best Soccer atmosphere I ever experienced was the 1998 WC playoff 2nd leg in the MCG.....Oz v Iran.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Chrisowc on February 14, 2009, 01:26:09 AM
Test match special on the radio, one of the true pleasures in life.

Not quite on the same lines, but an evening at Taunton in the late 70s / early 80s watching Richards, Garner, Botham et al. would have been hard to beat.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Puckoon

Tis but a fetus  - but i predict big things for the Slurry Cup.

fred the red

fred the red

Quote from: Canalman on February 15, 2009, 06:18:08 PM

On the other hand the best Soccer atmosphere I ever experienced was the 1998 WC playoff 2nd leg in the MCG.....Oz v Iran.

Who was the qualifier against for the 2006 world cup, was it Uruguay?

stephenite

Quote from: fred the red on February 17, 2009, 09:34:00 PM

Yep - penalty shoot out, wasn't at it but the atmosphere was supposed to be amazing

Chrisowc

Quote from: stephenite on February 18, 2009, 04:01:02 AM
Quote from: fred the red on February 17, 2009, 09:34:00 PM

Yep - penalty shoot out, wasn't at it but the atmosphere was supposed to be amazing

What would the make up of Australian soccer fans be?  Would they be 'true blue Aussies' or would they be Greek/Italian/Croat etc immigrants?
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Chrisowc

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 17, 2009, 09:00:44 PM
Quote from: Chrisowc on February 14, 2009, 01:26:09 AM
Test match special on the radio, one of the true pleasures in life.

Not quite on the same lines, but an evening at Taunton in the late 70s / early 80s watching Richards, Garner, Botham et al. would have been hard to beat.

It would be spectacular alright.  I'd say the party afterwards with 'beefy' would be hard to beat too!

I saw Botham play at Wallace Park in Lisburn in the 80's.  He was clearing the halfway line on the football pitch next to the cricket club with some shots.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!