Is it possible for 08 Cork Panel to line out for another county?

Started by JBM on the 21, February 11, 2009, 07:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBM on the 21

Now that the final door has closed on the 08 Cork Hurling Panel , does anyone think that it one be possible for the entire panel to line out for another county (lets say Fermanagh).They could carry on training in Cork like they are now and just put the green and white jersey on for the championship. What are the logistics behind this? Would the players have to be registered with clubs within the county? It would be a hell of a coup to pull off and it would do the promotion of hurling no end for the specified county. Is it possible?

Zulu

I presume this is a WUM but on the off chance it isn't then the answer is no.

JBM on the 21

No WUM here - give me one reason why it is not possible. You have 30 players who are are going to set out the next 2 years. It just does not make sense for the promotion of a game that is dying away anyway.

Plain of the Herbs

They could if they were either living in or working in the other county.
Otherwise - No.

youbetterbelieveit

NAG

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on February 11, 2009, 07:36:54 PM
No WUM here - give me one reason why it is not possible. You have 30 players who are are going to set out the next 2 years. It just does not make sense for the promotion of a game that is dying away anyway.

What sort of a statement is that to make? A dying game?

Hurling is a national treasure of this country and it is played from the top to the bottom of this country and it will never die!

johnneycool

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on February 11, 2009, 07:20:17 PM
Now that the final door has closed on the 08 Cork Hurling Panel , does anyone think that it one be possible for the entire panel to line out for another county (lets say Fermanagh).They could carry on training in Cork like they are now and just put the green and white jersey on for the championship. What are the logistics behind this? Would the players have to be registered with clubs within the county? It would be a hell of a coup to pull off and it would do the promotion of hurling no end for the specified county. Is it possible?

I don't think the players in Fermanagh have a say in the selection of Tom Walsh which wouldn't go down too well with the ex Cork hurlers. I can't say for sure what the Fermanagh lads get before a game but it might be white bread salad sandwiches and a cup of Tae and how can anyone compete at the highest level with that type of fodder in them...

JBM on the 21

No one has given me a valid reason why it is not possible. Working and living in the county is not mandatory (e.g Aidan O'Mahoney is a guard in Cork). I bet it would scare the bejesus out of Croke Park if it was attempted. They would be on the first flight down to Cork to stop this nonsense (the current, that is)

youbetterbelieveit

Jimmy, I said already you could have 5 and no more. So to anser you question on you can't have the whole Cork Squad declare for Fermanagh.

Zulu

1. You have to be either born or playing in the county to be allowed to play for another county.

2. The Cork players don't want to play for another county.

3. The current players (in any weaker county) who have given up a lot of time and effort for little or no reward don't want to be replaced at the drop of a hat by the Cork hurlers or anyone else for that matter.

4. The CB or supporters of any county don't want success if it only comes by playing 30 Cork lads who don't care a whole lot about their 'adopted' county.

5. Fermanagh winning an AI with 30 Cork hurlers who don't live or play in the county would do untold damage to the game in the county rather than help it.

There's a few to get you started but there are many more.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on February 12, 2009, 10:14:24 PM
1. You have to be either born or playing in the county to be allowed to play for another county.

Whatever about 2,3,4 and 5 Zulu, that 1st point is incorrect. That scheme for hurlers from stronger counties playing with weaker ones is still going. Offaly have 2 lads playing with Longford this year.

stevetharlear

Quote from: johnneycool on February 12, 2009, 03:32:27 PM

I don't think the players in Fermanagh have a say in the selection of Tom Walsh which wouldn't go down too well with the ex Cork hurlers. I can't say for sure what the Fermanagh lads get before a game but it might be white bread salad sandwiches and a cup of Tae and how can anyone compete at the highest level with that type of fodder in them...

Even Lory Meagher teams have proper food before games, take your head out your hole.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2009, 10:18:07 PM
Quote from: Zulu on February 12, 2009, 10:14:24 PM

Whatever about 2,3,4 and 5 Zulu, that 1st point is incorrect. That scheme for hurlers from stronger counties playing with weaker ones is still going. Offaly have 2 lads playing with Longford this year.

Same in Mayo, two Galway lads lining out with our hurlers
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Zulu

Fair enough, I had my doubts about the first one alright but the rest is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to reasons this couldn't happen.

THE BLUE AND GOLD

looooooooooooooool ya right they wouldn make the fermanagh team. hazbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenz :P