Is it possible for 08 Cork Panel to line out for another county?

Started by JBM on the 21, February 11, 2009, 07:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBM on the 21

Quote from: Zulu on February 12, 2009, 10:14:24 PM
1. You have to be either born or playing in the county to be allowed to play for another county.

2. The Cork players don't want to play for another county.

3. The current players (in any weaker county) who have given up a lot of time and effort for little or no reward don't want to be replaced at the drop of a hat by the Cork hurlers or anyone else for that matter.

4. The CB or supporters of any county don't want success if it only comes by playing 30 Cork lads who don't care a whole lot about their 'adopted' county.

5. Fermanagh winning an AI with 30 Cork hurlers who don't live or play in the county would do untold damage to the game in the county rather than help it.

There's a few to get you started but there are many more.

1. As AZOffaly has pointed out, this is incorrect.
2. The Cork players have been effectively barred from playing for the next 2 years thanks to Gerald and General Franco.
    Their desire to play as a unit would be sufficient to play for another county than not to play for Cork.
3.  Currently, Fermanagh do not enter a team in the Ulster Senior Hurling Championship. They have only two senior teams in their club championship.
4. Any success (or publicity) is better than zero success.

5. How could this do untold damage to the Fermanagh Hurling scene? A lot of the Cork players (Donal Og and Sean Og ,  to count just two)  travel  up to the North all the time to promote the game. Plus Sean Og already has a strong connection with Fermanagh through his father. This would give hurling the exposure not just to Fermanagh but to the whole of the North-West.

Zulu

You must know nothing of the Cork hurlers or any other county for that matter if you think they would play for another county enmass.

No CB or set of supporters would get behind a county team made up of players exclusively from another county.

Sucess is only worthwhile if you have played some part in it, if 30 Cork hurlers win an AI playing in Fermanagh jerseys then Fermanagh has f**k all to do with it bar giving them a set of jerseys.

The folks of the North west have seen hurling, a local team doing well in the code might give it a boost but a team of non-Fermanagh men playing the game would do nothing for hurling in the county. In fact all it would do is show Fermanagh people that football is the code for you because it is made up of Fermanagh men representing Fermanagh while the hurling team is a bunch of disgruntled Cork lads who couldn't name 5 Fermanagh GAA clubs if you put a gun to their head.

johnneycool

Quote from: stevetharlear on February 12, 2009, 10:20:40 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 12, 2009, 03:32:27 PM
Quote from: JBM on the 21 on February 11, 2009, 07:20:17 PM
Now that the final door has closed on the 08 Cork Hurling Panel , does anyone think that it one be possible for the entire panel to line out for another county (lets say Fermanagh).They could carry on training in Cork like they are now and just put the green and white jersey on for the championship. What are the logistics behind this? Would the players have to be registered with clubs within the county? It would be a hell of a coup to pull off and it would do the promotion of hurling no end for the specified county. Is it possible?

I don't think the players in Fermanagh have a say in the selection of Tom Walsh which wouldn't go down too well with the ex Cork hurlers. I can't say for sure what the Fermanagh lads get before a game but it might be white bread salad sandwiches and a cup of Tae and how can anyone compete at the highest level with that type of fodder in them...

Even Lory Meagher teams have proper food before games, take your head out your hole.

You speak as you see and i speak as i see and i beg to differ that 'even Lory Meagher teams get proper food before games' and yes I do know what I'm talking about. There are some of the weaker counties who'd only dream of getting treated as badly as the Cork hurlers and yes i know they're obviously not try to win the Liam McCarthy but everyone has a level to compete at and should be properly afforded decent treatment and some countyboards  still  aren't meeting the basic requirements.

I don't know about Fermanagh but that was the example used in this thread and I just followed the flow. i don't know your county but if you think all teams get meals before games then you're the one with your head up your hole.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on February 13, 2009, 12:04:17 AM
Quote from: Zulu on February 12, 2009, 10:14:24 PM
1. You have to be either born or playing in the county to be allowed to play for another county.

2. The Cork players don't want to play for another county.

3. The current players (in any weaker county) who have given up a lot of time and effort for little or no reward don't want to be replaced at the drop of a hat by the Cork hurlers or anyone else for that matter.

4. The CB or supporters of any county don't want success if it only comes by playing 30 Cork lads who don't care a whole lot about their 'adopted' county.

5. Fermanagh winning an AI with 30 Cork hurlers who don't live or play in the county would do untold damage to the game in the county rather than help it.

There's a few to get you started but there are many more.

1. As AZOffaly has pointed out, this is incorrect.
2. The Cork players have been effectively barred from playing for the next 2 years thanks to Gerald and General Franco.
    Their desire to play as a unit would be sufficient to play for another county than not to play for Cork.
3.  Currently, Fermanagh do not enter a team in the Ulster Senior Hurling Championship. They have only two senior teams in their club championship.
4. Any success (or publicity) is better than zero success.

5. How could this do untold damage to the Fermanagh Hurling scene? A lot of the Cork players (Donal Og and Sean Og ,  to count just two)  travel  up to the North all the time to promote the game. Plus Sean Og already has a strong connection with Fermanagh through his father. This would give hurling the exposure not just to Fermanagh but to the whole of the North-West.

Fermanagh are in the Ulster SHC, according to the Ulster Council:

Ulster Senior Hurling Championship
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Comment
Fermanagh  Cavan  Brewster Park Enniskillen Ferm 09/05/2009 15:30 TBC   
Donegal  Tyrone  Letterkenny 09/05/2009 15:30 TBC   
Armagh  Monaghan  Athletic Grounds Armagh 09/05/2009 15:30 TBC

rrhf

realrebel

i bet my house no other county would even want the trouble with them

slow corner back

Quote from: THE BLUE AND GOLD on February 12, 2009, 10:35:10 PM
Quote from: JBM on the 21 on February 11, 2009, 07:20:17 PM
Now that the final door has closed on the 08 Cork Hurling Panel , does anyone think that it one be possible for the entire panel to line out for another county (lets say Fermanagh).They could carry on training in Cork like they are now and just put the green and white jersey on for the championship. What are the logistics behind this? Would the players have to be registered with clubs within the county? It would be a hell of a coup to pull off and it would do the promotion of hurling no end for the specified county. Is it possible?

looooooooooooooool ya right they wouldn make the fermanagh team. hazbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenz :P

Well said that man I take it u are looking forward to sunday,lol :D

highking

If any of them work or have an address in another county which take part in the Ring/Rackard/Meagher Cups, they are entitled to play for that county, provided both county secretaries are happy with it. Each county in the Ring/Rackard/Meagher Cups can adopt five such players.

The only thing that could happen would be that if five of the players either work or have an address in Kerry, they could transfer over the border. A Kerry team with say Sean Og, John Gardiner, Ben O'Connor, Joe Deane and Cathal Naughton in it would walk the Christy Ring Cup. As long as both county secretaries sign the form, they can transfer - provided there are no objections from other counties.

Id say Frank would have no problem in signing that transfer form........