Meath V Fermanagh, 14th Feb, Navan

Started by thejuice, February 09, 2009, 11:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Round 2: Meath V Fermanagh
Pairc Tailteann, time:7 30 pm

So, after a dissappointing start for both sides, a dramatic improvement will be expected from both camps. Meath expect to have Mark Ward available but Shane O'Rourke and Brian Farrell are still out while Fermanagh hope to have McCluskey and McGrath available for next week.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

FermGael

McGrath will not be playing. Owens is injured
Murphy in Australia and McCluskey i would guess has soccer on saturday afternoon.

Maeths game to lose IMO
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Maguire01

Yep, Fermanagh really need McGrath back asap. Very little going on in midfield last week in his absence. Haven't seen enough of Meath to comment on where they're at.

thejuice

Depends on what Eamonn decides to do. We were very experimental against Cork with King up front and the midfeild of Brian Meade and Damian Sheridan wasnt up to it. If we put out the strongest side available, I'd say we'll have Crawford and Ward in the middle, King in the half backs, Meade in the half forwards, Moyles named at corner foward but playing in the middle. Joe and the Bray's playing up front. Kevin Reilly at full back.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Declan

Valentine's night at 7.30 - Jaysus is there no romance left at all in the Royal?? - will be hard to convince the boss to take that in as part of the evening's entertainment ;)

thejuice

Sure what could be more romantic? Take her up to the grassy bank at the hospital end for a bit of privacy and you can lie down look at the stars together.

FermPundit

Difficult game this Saturday night for Fermanagh. If it's true that Marty McGrath isn't fit, then I can see us continue to struggle at midfield. Shane O'Brien did a decent job against Monaghan so I expect him to start here again. James Sherry was pretty disappointing the last day but given our limited options at centre field, he should get another chance to impress. At the back, I don't expect too many changes, if any at all. Up front, Ferris and Ryder were quite impressive on their NFL debuts, so hopefully they will build on that this Saturday. As I have said before, division 2 is a very tough this year and the sooner Fermanagh can get a win, the better. Overall, I thought we did ok against Monaghan so I'd be optimistic enough that we could sneak a win. It looks like Meath are experimenting with team selection as well so it should be an even enough game. Does anyone know is Blooby available for selection this weekend?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Erne Man

FermPundit - I'm led to believe the only probable returning player is Ciaran McElroy who missed out on the Monaghan game due to concussion - McGrath will not be available for selection.
Think this game will be extremely tough for Fermanagh - Meath would be at least as strong around the middle of the field as Monaghan which is concerning - we need Ronnie to vary his kickouts a bit more than he did the last day - and for that reason I'd start Frog/Brady at full back and move Lyons to CHB - think he is a bit more mobile and is a strong ball carrier.
Was disappointed with Sherry against Monaghan, but with limited options there it looks like he will probably start there again. My preferred option would be to start Hugh Brady at full back, and play McDermott in the middle of the field - I thought he did ok when he moved out there against Monaghan
Think with the forwards we have we are always going to struggle for more that 10 or 11 scores so we'll need a big performance from the defence.
Given that we need the 2pts I would go with experience:
Ronnie
Goan
Brady
Sherry
McElroy
Lyons
Kelly
McDermott
Sherry
O'Brien
Keenan
Little
McElroy
Ryder
Maguire

Caid

If you drop little back as a roving half back you can push Frog up to MF (especially for the kick outs).

1. Gallagher

2. Goan
3. Lyons
4. Sherry

5. Kelly
12. Little
7. McElroy

6. McDermott
8. O'Brien
9. Sherry

10. McElroy
11. O'Reilly
13. Keenan

14. Ryder
15. Maguire
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

inisceithleann

Bit hard for me to comment on team selections when I haven't seen the team play all year, but it looks like there are little options for changes. We desperately need McCluskey and Owens to come back to steady the ship. Womble is a massive loss from last year, he really came on a lot last season. James Sherry can only still be playing because of our lack of options at midfield. Long term FermPundit, I can't see the wisdom of flying Carson home from England every weekend. I know it happened a lot more in the 70's and 80's but football has moved on a lot more since then and he is bound to be off the pace. CiarĂ¡n O'Reilly mustn't be far away from a comeback?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

ExiledGael

Sure I heard somewhere that Quinn was stepping in to give Blobby work at home. Would be great to have O'Reilly back, he's as good a free-taker as there is around as he's proved at Sigerson and with Fermanagh when fit. He had a setback in his recovery but should make some of the league AFAIK.

FermPundit

Quote from: Erne Man on February 09, 2009, 08:43:55 PM
FermPundit - I'm led to believe the only probable returning player is Ciaran McElroy who missed out on the Monaghan game due to concussion - McGrath will not be available for selection.
Think this game will be extremely tough for Fermanagh - Meath would be at least as strong around the middle of the field as Monaghan which is concerning - we need Ronnie to vary his kickouts a bit more than he did the last day - and for that reason I'd start Frog/Brady at full back and move Lyons to CHB - think he is a bit more mobile and is a strong ball carrier.
Was disappointed with Sherry against Monaghan, but with limited options there it looks like he will probably start there again. My preferred option would be to start Hugh Brady at full back, and play McDermott in the middle of the field - I thought he did ok when he moved out there against Monaghan
Think with the forwards we have we are always going to struggle for more that 10 or 11 scores so we'll need a big performance from the defence.
Ronnie
Goan
Brady
Sherry
McElroy
Lyons
Kelly
McDermott
Sherry
O'Brien
Keenan
Little
McElroy
Ryder
Maguire

Good point about Ronnie's kick outs. They were awful the last day. I know James Sherry struggled, but the kick outs didn't help him. What's the story with other goal keepers given Chirssy Breen's injury. I hear some lad from Donagh is in the squad now. Is he any good?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

inisceithleann

Quote from: FermPundit on February 10, 2009, 09:00:16 PM
Quote from: Erne Man on February 09, 2009, 08:43:55 PM
Ronnie
Goan
Brady
Sherry
McElroy
Lyons
Kelly
McDermott
Sherry
O'Brien
Keenan
Little
McElroy
Ryder
Maguire

Good point about Ronnie's kick outs. They were awful the last day. I know James Sherry struggled, but the kick outs didn't help him. What's the story with other goal keepers given Chirssy Breen's injury. I hear some lad from Donagh is in the squad now. Is he any good?

What is the story with Chrissy Breen, whats the nature of the injury?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

thejuice

Teams should be announced today. I think Shane O'Rourke is deemed fit to play.

Jinxy

He didn't look too fit in the O'Byrne cup final.
Hopefully he'll have a bit more pep in his step.
If you were any use you'd be playing.