Mayo v Donegal - Valentines Night Massacre or the start of new love for JOM?

Started by Barney, February 05, 2009, 08:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

This is getting ridiculous.
Cafferkey did not have a bad game. He was marking a good fast forward who was fed good low ball. What was he supposed to do? Oh yeah, get out in front! As if Francie or Tom O Sullivan etc could. If they tried they d be yellowed after 5 mins. Would that be better? Justin McMahon was poor v Dublin. Does that mean he should nt be started next Tyrone game for his own protection? Oh he s different and so is Tom and Francie. Celtic crosses.

Mayo management need to decide who their best players are and shape the team to measure. I m not sure Caf. will ever be a good full- back but neither will anybody else if he s not played there for the long haul. He s more likely to be a success there than lads that have been tried there last 2 years. He s some experience there, he quick and has recovery and he s clever. He s not the biggest but he has reach. All I know is he ll never be a good full-back unless he s given games and time. Others were maybe given too much time when it was clear soon enough they were in trouble. For his own sake I d maybe prefer to see  Caf . elsewhere but i think he s probably our best bet at 3 now from current panel. And in his U21 years he pulled out big games against big teams and that s the type of player this county needs. Its not likely he ll learn his trade at club or elsewhere. A few games and he ll be as likely 6 or midfield with the club.

I ve said already O Malley was our best back the last day. I say leave him at 2 where he s done well and try and nail down one corner at least. We have a lot of players low on confidence in this county panel. When we get some result with a player lets give him some time to breathe. He s struggled at full on occasion in the past which set him back, so if we have to nail down one full back line position at a time so be it. Caf's man the last day was the target and O Malley did a good mopping/covering job. If roles were reversed we might well have seen different fortunes for our 2 and 3. Leave O Malley at 2 I say.

Clarke had a very good year last year. So some people want to shaft one of our most recent successes now as well. On what basis?  Conceding 1 goal? A hanging kickout into the wind? A fluffed punch when he clearly pulled it after hearing the whistle for a square ball? Ridiculous.

As for Trevor. My biggest issue with Trevor is that he does nt mind himself enough and his recklessness usually ends up with him coming off second best. He has a habit of stretching his leading leg across the running player going past him. Did it the last day. He was ripping through Galway last year before he did the same thing and he needs to learn. Fit and playing the sweeping role his game is set up for he would be a hugely important player. Just dont play him as an orthodox 11 or let him take frees.
Maybe Rosnarun could suggest who is good enough to play from the current panel instead of who is nt good enough.
And for 'good enough' you may substitute 'ready'.

stephenite

Ros just doesn't like to see Ballina lads playing for Mayo - this is the same man who stated that Pat Harte was not and never would be of inter county standard. Fair enough if that's your opinon, but you don't play midfield in a team that makes it to the All Ireland final, socre a goal in that All Ireland final if you're not up to inter county standard.

m@yoman

Barney, your title on this post makes you worthy of a red-top journalist...excellent!  :D :D

The match against Derry has been well discussed on a previous post so I won't dwell on that either.....A few players need to "get their @rse in gear" as a former manager of mine once said to us in a Minor match..there's many's a young lad round the country who would give anything to get a chance to play in their county jersey.....the passion to play for the green and red so evidenced by great players in the past seems to be missing at the moment....some players seem more concerned with boot deals, their level of fake tan/hair gel/moisturiser etc than getting on and giving it 110%....

if that is not back in abundance by Valentines night then we could be on a hiding to nothing this year...

Farrandeelin

Quote from: stephenite on February 07, 2009, 05:34:58 AM
Ros just doesn't like to see Ballina lads playing for Mayo - this is the same man who stated that Pat Harte was not and never would be of inter county standard. Fair enough if that's your opinon, but you don't play midfield in a team that makes it to the All Ireland final, socre a goal in that All Ireland final if you're not up to inter county standard.

Funnily enough stephenite, I also agree with rosnarun about Pat Harte not up to inter-county standard. He doesn't have the pace for it in my opinion. I also don't know why JOM replaced Sweeney with Ronaldson with another small forward Ronaldson who probably be pushed aside in big championship games by good cornerbacks. Tubberman A Moran's best position is in the full-forward line and nowhere else. If he's not good enough there he's not good enough at all. And I'm also mystified as to the lack of Donegal contributors to this thread...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RMDrive

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 07, 2009, 02:21:08 PM
And I'm also mystified as to the lack of Donegal contributors to this thread...

We were just being polite and didn't want to interrupt yous. Either that or it was hard to get a word in edgeways  ;)

Farrandeelin

Well all we do is start of threads with the name of the other county in it and we complain about everything that's wrong. We want to see a Donegal perspective too you know! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 07, 2009, 02:21:08 PM

Funnily enough stephenite, I also agree with rosnarun about Pat Harte not up to inter-county standard. He doesn't have the pace for it in my opinion.

With respect Farandeelin I think you re well wide of the mark here. For a midfielder he s got more than adequate pace and is much quicker than alot of midfielders at county level and quicker than some of our regular half forwards like Dillon and BJP. And he s a better bet than speedy lads like Kilcoyne. He got a long stride and covers the ground better than lads that appear to be going fast but have short strides and work overtime to cover the ground. TJ was similar and if anything Harte is considerably faster. Look how often he gets up in support from deep positions and his role in the goal v Tyrone last year. If you dont like the cut of his jib fair enough. But to say he lacks pace for the game is only letting yourself down.

MacDanger

Fair enough if that's your opinon, but you don't play midfield in a team that makes it to the All Ireland final, socre a goal in that All Ireland final if you're not up to inter county standard.

You mean the goal that was served up to him on a plate by a Knockmore man??? ;)

stephenite

Quote from: MacDanger on February 09, 2009, 12:42:11 AM
Fair enough if that's your opinon, but you don't play midfield in a team that makes it to the All Ireland final, socre a goal in that All Ireland final if you're not up to inter county standard.

You mean the goal that was served up to him on a plate by a Knockmore man??? ;)

:D

Goldengreen

so from what i hear this game will be moved from Ballybofey to Letterkenny, does anyone have more info on it, will it be on the saturday at the same time or will it now be on Sunday??

Barney

Quotehttp://steunans.donegal.gaa.ie/plugins/eventsdisplay.cgi?site_id=736

According to the above the match has been fixed for Letterkenny on Saturday afternoon.

Any reports from the Ballinrobe match on Saturday?

Donegal Danny

Yes game is on in O'Donnell Park Letterkenny on Saturday at 2.30 so hope there is plenty of Mayo supporters up for the match and stay and enjoy the famous Letterkenny nightlife. Heard some Mayo players weren't happy with JOM asking them to leave Higgin's weding on Saturday to go and play Cavan. As regards the game i think Donegal will be stronger than against Kerry with Cassidy and Mc Fadden back from injury. Not sure about some of the new Mayo lads but i would take Pat Harte for midfield any day over Donegals pairing in Kerry. If you want to see 2 slow Midfielders then look  at a video of the Kerry game and see Boyle and Gallagher.

moysider

Quote from: Barney on February 09, 2009, 08:28:21 AM
Quotehttp://steunans.donegal.gaa.ie/plugins/eventsdisplay.cgi?site_id=736

According to the above the match has been fixed for Letterkenny on Saturday afternoon.

Curses. I was looking forward to seeing the match on Setanta, now this. I m pretty sickened to say the least. If the game was in Ballyshannon I d be tempted to go but Leterkenny.........

Tubberman

Moysider, as far as I know Setanta will still be showing deferred coverage of the Donegal match on Sat night.

The Mayo News have some updates on player availability for Saturday. There are quite a few players that could miss out, depending on injury, illness and games scheduled for later this week

O'Mahony won't know until later in the week which Mayo forwards will be available for the game, with doubts over a number of players. Alan Dillon suffered a groin injury in training last week, and sat out last Saturday's challenge match against Cavan, while Andy Moran also missed the game with a knee injury. O'Mahony is 'hopeful' they will have recovered in time for next Saturday's game, but told The Mayo News last night (Monday) that he and his management team 'won't know until later in the week' whether they'll be available.
The Mayo boss will also be waiting on news of Austin O'Malley, who suffered a bad 'flu' which kept away from both work and training all last week. Aidan O'Shea is unlikely to be available for the trip to Donegal, as he will be playing for St Gerald's College on Friday night. A number of other players – including Ger Cafferkey, Kieran Conroy and Mark Ronaldson – are due to feature in Sigerson Cup action this week.
Regarding Cavan's visit to Ballinrobe last Saturday, O'Mahony noted that the game represented Chris Barrett's 'first involvement with us for nearly a year', and that Mickey Mullins, Seamus O'Shea, James Gill and Barry Kelly also got game time. With Mayo and Donegal both having lost their first league matches, next weekend's fixture takes on particular significance.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

the Deel Rover

see in the western people today that anthony hennigan was giving out about the negative comments following the Derry Game on various message boards . Ok so which one of ye it Anthony   ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001