3 (2.2%)
Professional Qualifications
16 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 138

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Iceman on February 04, 2009, 09:44:07 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 04, 2009, 09:20:07 PM
Who asked you to apologise iceman?
I thought maybe if people had a gripe about this and someone apologised for it - it might stop the whinging - its getting old
Who has gripes? what whinging? what's getting old?
People dont like it when others look down their noses at them, there's a surprise.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

J70

The level you need depends on the career. If you want to become a scientist, a PhD is the very minimum that you need - you also need a few years of postdoc work and a few decent publications to have any chance at all of making a start at an academic career. Even then, in many fields, you can have hundreds of people with similar qualifications applying for every decent job.

brokencrossbar1

Professional Qualification(Doing another one at the minute)

Polo Silver Fox
Spectre
Spicy Meatballs in tossed salad.

On the job experience is better for doing the job but what you have on your CV opens the door.  Another great door opener is sport, as we all know.  My first job interview was about 6 weeks after we won the AI in 1997.  I was nervous as fu ck and not sure of myself(nnever had an interview before). Anyway, the owner of the place lands in, lifts his feet onto the table in front of me and said "Jaysus it must have been some experience to win the AI?"  I relaxed straight away and talked football for a half an hour.  Needless to say I got the job.

The way things are going the need to go back to school will become ever more important.  Multi skills are the future and the ability to change heads will be vital.

Donagh

Great thread lads, keep the CVs coming - there's something mildy amusing about the amount of boys that will step over such a grammatically incorect title in order to let us know how smart they are. I look forward to the the 'size of the boards penis' and 'how far can the board piss' threads to come.

nifan

Quote from: stew on February 04, 2009, 09:09:10 PM
Nifan, I am sorry to hear that you didnt finish up the Phd, were you not just a few months away from becoming a doctor in the sciences????

Was hoping to finish it part time when I started working, even though I was really not that pushed as I had decided against a career in academia.
Once I started thought the hours I was working where pretty heavy (bunch of slave drivers in our place!) and so i never really got round to finishing.

In the end im not that worried, ive done well enough in my job that the years I spent in uni havent counted against me in the eyes of management (i think!).

The PhD would be a nice to have now, but is in no way necessary for me.

The Iceman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 04, 2009, 09:57:37 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 04, 2009, 09:44:07 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 04, 2009, 09:20:07 PM
Who asked you to apologise iceman?
I thought maybe if people had a gripe about this and someone apologised for it - it might stop the whinging - its getting old
Who has gripes? what whinging? what's getting old?
People dont like it when others look down their noses at them, there's a surprise.

I don't like anyone looking down their nose at me either. But nobody on this board is looking down their nose at you or anyone else because you don't have a degree.
But there still have been complaints and jibes at people for having degrees.  Stop trying to twist things to your own agenda............
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Myles Na G.

Quote from: The Iceman on February 04, 2009, 09:07:23 PM
Quote from: milltown row on February 04, 2009, 08:44:51 PM
yeah but how many of ya have those daft photos with the square hats and strange robes on clutching the scroll? pride of place in your Ma's or front room?

It did mean more to our parents generation.  20 years ago how many Catholics made it to University? That's why your mother puts your graduation picture on the wall.  I let my mother have that much. What is wrong with being proud of that???

Again does this stem from your own regrets? I personally don't care if you have a degree or not.  If someone in the past has looked down their nose at you because you don't have a degree - can I, on behalf of all University educated people, publicly apologise for this? Is that enough?
Now stop persecuting the masses because of a few...............

Loads and loads. Honest.

pintsofguinness

iceman
QuoteBut nobody on this board is looking down their nose at you or anyone else because you don't have a degree.
I never said they were.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Donagh on February 05, 2009, 08:50:36 AM
Great thread lads, keep the CVs coming - there's something mildy amusing about the amount of boys that will step over such a grammatically incorect title in order to let us know how smart they are. I look forward to the the 'size of the boards penis' and 'how far can the board piss' threads to come.

Or who picked the coolest avatar?

milltown row

it doesn't matter how many exams ya have, if someone tried to make someone feel inferior for being less educated then he is a dick, vice versa if someone tries to say your stuck up for doing well in school.

Hardy

What's the board's average mental age?
- With Fearon?
- Without Fearon?

Puckoon

Quote from: Donagh on February 05, 2009, 08:50:36 AM
I look forward to the the 'size of the boards penis' and 'how far can the board piss' threads to come.

Something tells me people may not be so quick to claim "alienation" or "having their feelings hurt" on the penis size thread.

And I hope to most certainly never look down my nose at another poster in that regard.

stephenite

Tyrones own

Quote from: milltown row on February 05, 2009, 10:55:09 PM
it doesn't matter how many exams ya have, if someone tried to make someone feel inferior for being less educated then he is a dick, vice versa if someone tries to say your stuck up for doing well in school.

No one can make you feel inferior without your permission
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann