Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

QuoteIt is obvious what his agenda is... partitionist .. those bloody northerners...

You lot would always be the East Germany of any reunification....you would just drag us down.

ExiledGael

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on June 05, 2009, 08:23:45 PM
QuoteDespite the fact that handpassing was rampant – indeed it was legitimate to handpass (throw) goals at that time –there was never any such adverse interpretations of this style proffered by the pundits or sports journalists of the day.

While the anti-handpassing proponents regularly furnish us with 'damning' statistics of the amount of handpasses versus kick passes in a modern day game of football, the 'Golden Years' are exempt from such scrutiny.

Perfect example to show why Harte (and most of you Nordies) are liars of the highest order. The amount of whinging about the handpass score at the time was unreal. Most of it coming from Ulster teams who kept getting their arses handed to them by Kerry and Dublin. It reached its highest pitch after the '79 semi-final.

The handpass goal was then banned. Now, I dont mind too much that the rule was changed but the fact that it was changed due to whinging by counties who were in the pub when Micko and the boys were running the dunes of banna strand was what made it such a disgraceful decision at the time. Basically, two teams were penalized for putting in the effort and excelling. Ulster just wanted to drag us down to their level instead of trying to improve.

And now, unfortunately, they have literally dragged Gaelic football down to their level with their shirt pulling, swarm defence and general loutishness. Thankfully our suberb discipline and positive play during the league indicates that JOC wants to ensure that at least one team will shine the beacon for Gaelic Football.

:D
You're priceless Sheehy. What pub is this you refer to?
All you've got is shirt pulling, extra defenders and general loutishness?

tyronefan

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on June 05, 2009, 08:23:45 PM
QuoteDespite the fact that handpassing was rampant – indeed it was legitimate to handpass (throw) goals at that time –there was never any such adverse interpretations of this style proffered by the pundits or sports journalists of the day.

While the anti-handpassing proponents regularly furnish us with 'damning' statistics of the amount of handpasses versus kick passes in a modern day game of football, the 'Golden Years' are exempt from such scrutiny.

Perfect example to show why Harte (and most of you Nordies) are liars of the highest order. The amount of whinging about the handpass score at the time was unreal. Most of it coming from Ulster teams who kept getting their arses handed to them by Kerry and Dublin. It reached its highest pitch after the '79 semi-final.

The handpass goal was then banned. Now, I dont mind too much that the rule was changed but the fact that it was changed due to whinging by counties who were in the pub when Micko and the boys were running the dunes of banna strand was what made it such a disgraceful decision at the time. Basically, two teams were penalized for putting in the effort and excelling. Ulster just wanted to drag us down to their level instead of trying to improve.

And now, unfortunately, they have literally dragged Gaelic football down to their level with their shirt pulling, swarm defence and general loutishness. Thankfully our suberb discipline and positive play during the league indicates that JOC wants to ensure that at least one team will shine the beacon for Gaelic Football.

Kerry would know all about swarm  defence   Spillane  played most of his football on the half back line when he was supposed to be in at full forward

amazing how you kerry wans remember the good old days to suit yourselves

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: ONeill on June 05, 2009, 07:58:41 PM
Mickey's spot on although we've been agreeing on this for a few years on here.

Apparently next week's article is something to do with horse balls and onions.
For once he didn't bore me to tears and I agreed with the essence of what he said.  I wouldn't call it great thinking though.  Also I saw a few hints as to what his strategies have been in the past and that's the sort of thing I have been waiting to see so... I take back what I said, he isn't always full of it. 

I believe his book is out in October, will be buying that when it comes out.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Mike Sheehy

Quoteamazing how you kerry wans remember the good old days to suit yourselves

Its about remembering accurately the "good old days". Harte told a blatant lie by saying there was was no comment by pundits back then
about the handpass and, specifically, the handpassed score. There was plenty of comment and it led to a fundamental change in the rules. Probably the only
time the rules have been changed in response to the dominance of one or two teams.

Mourne Rover

Mike Sheehy is always good fun, and his suggestion that the hand pass rules were changed because of under-achieving northerners was particularly entertaining. In fact, the rule which allowed an oncoming forward to simply pass/throw the ball past a keeper into the net died of embarrassment. The dominating Kerry and Dublin teams of the era got old, which tends to happen, but they were replaced at the top by Meath and Cork, and the Ulster surge did not follow for quite a few years.

muppet

Current winner objects to rule changes shocker!

Current losers demand rule changes shocker!

Plus ca change plus la meme chose.

MWWSI 2017

Mike Sheehy

Quoteand the Ulster surge did not follow for quite a few years.

exactly ! further proof that the handpass rule itself had nothing to do with the gap between kerry/Dublin and the Northern teams.

I'm glad you agree with me....

ONeill

Slow news week Mickey.

That's the longest opening premise in the history of column writing.

Anyone post it up?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

SidelineKick

Time to bring umpires into the 21st Century Mickey Harte
By Mickey Harte
12/06/09

GAA administrators have been endeavouring over the years to raise the profile of the products we have to offer as a people.

Protocol forms a significant part of big match days where games' organisers are clearly distinguishable by the attire they wear.

Every effort is made to accommodate the full media circus that now forms an integral part of the Championship season.

The print media are all furnished with official passes and identity cards, as are the photographers who also don distinctive brightly coloured bibs. Teams arrive at the grounds in high-class, often top-of-the-range coaches where a CD player and DVD facility with multiple monitors are accepted as the norm. The management, players and back-up team will all be wearing uniform clothing of a casual or formal nature, depending on the stage of the competition.

Everyone who will enter the field of play must present wearing the appropriately distinguished clothing. The 'Maor Uisce' bibs with reversible bright colours ensure that the players from both teams will easily identify the people who will help sustain their hydration levels over an often gruelling 70 minutes of activity.

The team doctor and physios will also have clearly marked items of clothing normally, co-ordinating with the team's casual sportswear. Similarly, the team's 'Maor Foirne' (runner) and the Bainisteoir are obliged to comply.

High quality match programmes, normally now in full colour, are abundantly available. What essentially began as an A4 page doubled in two, for the basic purpose of letting the spectators know exactly who they were going to be entertained by, has become an interesting read with contributions from a variety of journalists, television commentators and participating managers amongst others.

Additionally, as well as a possible collector's item for enthusiasts, there is no shortage of takers for the advertising space available.

Once inside the ground the picture is no different. Fences, which were traditionally installed for the purpose of keeping spectators away from the players, have now also become premium advertising space. The quality of presentation on such hoardings, or banners as is often the case at club grounds, is significantly eye-catching.

At Headquarters such advertising opportunities are on par with those at any sporting event throughout the world.

Automated revolving hoardings present the best face of numerous companies on a repetitive basis. Club and county crests and logos have become patented images and the Association has recognised the need to re-establish the GAA brand.

The high-profile launch and the imagery associated with the 125 celebrations further endorses the awareness of the 21st Century GAA model.

As you would expect, the competing teams are asked to conform to certain protocol with regards to presentation.

Team colours are clearly defined and it is incumbent on the relative officials to ensure their club/county comply.

Team sponsors' logos on playing gear must meet previously laid-down criteria in terms of dimensions and positioning.

The official GAA logo must also appear on any jerseys worn in official competition. A glance back through old video footage when there was less attention to detail endorses the value of this approach.

The fact that players are discouraged from linking arms during the National Anthem (the county board incur a hefty fine for such breaches) again points to the significance placed on presentation.

Gear for referees and linesmen has become even more distinctive with the introduction of brightly coloured alternative jerseys in addition to the traditional 'men in black' image.

Yes, we have invested a lot in pursuit of improved presentation with one notable exception – the men in the long white coats.

This is one area of our game that needs urgent attention. It's about the only aspect that seems stuck in a time warp while all other areas have embraced innovation.

Surely the sportswear manufacturers, who have to be complemented on their modernisation of all other things gaelic, would be prepared to relieve us of this antiquated spectacle.

Perhaps a review of the personnel who carry out this important role would also serve a valuable purpose.

It's arguable that the current custodians are often too static.

It has become abundantly clear, even in the early stages of this year's Championship games, that the days of casually standing by the post and lifting the appropriate flag or outstretching the arms no longer satisfies the needs of this often controversial role.

With live television and multiple camera angles, much more is demanded of these officials than was previously the case.

In the modern game, there is much more reason for contact between the umpires and the referee. Is there not a case for all the match officials on active duty to be kitted accordingly?

I believe this is a missed opportunity for budding young referees.

If they were afforded this opportunity to officiate they would gain invaluable experience of the big match atmosphere without the pressure.

They would also have the opportunity to engage with top officials like Pat McEnaney and ask questions before and after their match performance.

This could only be of benefit to the novice officials and would go a long way towards ensuring continuity of good practice in the field of refereeing.

Indeed, having served as an active umpire and linesman would help the next generation of referees to establish a more meaningful rapport with their support officials.

Ultimately, however, we would also put in place the final piece of the presentation jigsaw, which seems to have been ignored while most other aspects have 21st Century imagery.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Doohicky

He does take a long time to get to his point, but I think it is a good one.

Using trainee referees, or even junior refs as Umpires would be a great idea in my opinion.

Zulu

Hardly revolutionary though, posters here and countless other have being saying the same thing for years. And what's his problem with the white coats, they're iconic.

rrhf

bennydorano

For such a superb manager, his Clolumns are awful, inane stuff.

Will Hunting

Couldn't think of where i'd heard this idea before, and then I thought yeah, i read about it a few seconds ago on the back page! In an interview with the monaghan chairman:
http://www.irishnews.com/appnews/597/5776/2009/6/12/619945_384331802026Banty821.html

The Monaghan chief will also argue for better umpires to officiate at big Championship games. He said: "We should be involving up-and-coming referees to act as umpires and giving them responsibility and confidence because it is these men who will be refereeing Ulster finals in four or five years time."