Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Anyone who thinks last years AIF was not a 'great spectacle' needs to think about following a different sport because they do not appreciate this one. :-\

orangeman

Quote from: EC Unique on May 29, 2009, 02:34:03 PM
Anyone who thinks last years AIF was not a 'great spectacle' needs to think about following a different sport because they do not appreciate this one. :-\

Super final - it had everything you would want to see and more. Great spectacle - result was good as well.

Our Nail Loney

Purists wide of mark in handpass debate

By Mickey Harte

05/06/09

The amount of handpassing now prevalent in gaelic football often incurs the displeasure of certain well-known pundits and others in the world of sports journalism.

The most simplistic argument invariably espoused is that if the sport is called Gaelic football, how can it be deemed appropriate that a player could play for an entire 70 minutes without kicking the ball?

The ability and legality of outfield players to handle the ball distinguishes Gaelic football as a sport distinct from soccer, for example.

Those who experience difficulty with the current style of playing often decry the fact that, in their opinion, players cannot kick the ball accurately in the modern era.

Some have even been known to go as far as to suggest that kicking is becoming a dying art, the inference here being that there was some

previous utopian era when everything was perfectly executed.

I think not. All-Ireland Gold on TG4 endorses that truth.

The Kerry 'Golden Years' in the '70s will always be remembered and appreciated by those of us fortunate enough to have been present for their titanic struggles with the equally exciting Dubs.

Despite the fact that handpassing was rampant – indeed it was legitimate to handpass (throw) goals at that time – there was never any such adverse interpretations of this style proffered by the pundits or sports journalists of the day.

While the anti-handpassing proponents regularly furnish us with 'damning' statistics of the amount of handpasses versus kick passes in a modern day game of football, the 'Golden Years' are exempt from such scrutiny.

Another argument often levied against the current style of play is that over-use of the handpass detracts from the game as a spectacle.

Surely this is a matter of opinion – would it be more aesthetically pleasing to observe players kick the ball ping-pong style up and down the field, or have them retain possession with accurate, controlled hand/fist passes until the time was appropriate to deliver a kick pass?

Some interpreters have the audacity to declare that we are distorting gaelic football and turning it into a form of compromised basketball.

They bemoan the fact the game now demands huge levels of fitness and suggest that players spend more time topping up on endurance than kicking skills.

Cheap shots.

I would recommend they carry out some in-depth analysis of games from previous 'golden eras' and furnish us with the handpass/accurate kick pass ratio.

Even the terminology used – 'distorting' gaelic football – infers that there is some perfect blueprint for the game. How limiting would that be?

Those idealists often endorse their views by informing us that half-forwards are not

scoring enough in the modern game.

Who ever declared that to be their chief role on a 15-player team?

If we were to return to the strict interpretations of the anti-handpass proponents who declare that because the game is termed gaelic 'football' it should be dominated by the foot (kicking), then what should a half-forward be doing to fulfil the other half of his/her role in the game?

An examination of every position on the field further highlights the futility of an argument that suggests because our sport is named gaelic 'football', handpassing does the game a disservice.

Of course, it would be naive to suggest that there aren't times when the handpass is overused.

The tactical nous and work-rate of opponents, rather than a change of rules, will very quickly sort that problem out.

Those who believe that a change in the rules is the only way to 'sanitise' the game to their ideal blueprint take huge liberties and often suggest that a coach's sole objective is to win and that they

really don't care how they achieve that. Wrong.

A coach's sole objective is to facilitate players to deliver the best of themselves within the ethos of the team, and if that can be achieved, winning is sometimes a natural by-product.

On occasion, a coach will gladly preside over an 'ugly win' and will prefer that to a 'pretty defeat'.

However, it is more often every coach's desire to win with style.

The greatest danger posed by those who feel the need to interfere with the handpass aspect of our game is that through their constant drip feed of fault finding, many might begin to believe that overuse of the handpass is the cause of all the ails in gaelic football at the moment.

While even they agree that it could not be scrapped altogether, they are encouraging a limit of one handpass and then an obligatory kick to follow. This would make for a much worse spectacle as players would be forced to use a kick pass when another handpass would be more appropriate.

We would then be exposed to players kicking the ball four and five metres to their team-mates simply because they received a handpass.

Gaelic football is a multi-skilled sport. In the past, big was 'king' and positions were almost sacrosanct.

Many lament the lack of high fielding and often suggest that it should be a protected skill by affording the exponent a clear chance to deliver.

In essence, this suggests giving a further advantage to someone who is already blessed with superior stature – how fair is that?

Thankfully, the evolution of our game rewards a variety of individual skills which, when combined to best effect, create winning teams.

Respect in boxing offers a lesson to all sports

I had the pleasure of attending a boxing tournament in Bellaghy last Saturday night at the invitation of club coach Patsy Hurl and Colm Scullion, a friend and sponsor of the Toome Amateur Boxing Club.

Patsy, who played gaelic games in his younger days, was more drawn to the ring at the Ardboe Boxing Club, which was then run by his father.

Unfortunately, Patsy's own very promising career in the sport was cut short due to an ear injury. However, this didn't deter him from his love of the sport and the thrill of seeing many young people under his care develop into champions in their own right.

On the night, Toome club took on an Ulster select, including boxers from St Canice's, Errigal, Ring, Immaculata, Cairn Lodge and Clonoe ABC in various weight categories ranging from 31kg to 57kg.

All contests were fought in a sporting manner and the MC for the night, Jim Noonan, set the tone when he told the spectators that booing was not acceptable.

All of the youngsters acquitted themselves with dignity and both contestants in each bout received trophies of equal standard.

The presence of two of the north's current and most distinguished boxers, Olympic bronze medallist Paddy Barnes and British featherweight champion Martin Lindsay, graced the occasion and both gentlemen shared in the trophy presentations.

I would like to congratulate Patsy Hurl, all the coaches in Toome ABC, and all the visiting coaches who give up so much of their time for the benefit of the younger generation.

The discipline and respect shown in the ring stretches far beyond that and I am reliably informed by Patsy that the sport transcends the political and religious divides, where boxers and coaches from all clubs are equally welcome in the Shankill or Falls Road boxing clubs.

Yet another example of the positive power of sport.

SidelineKick

I wonder what Mickey Harte made of the whole Peter Canavan / God thing and the playing of matches on Sundays.

You shall have no other Gods but me.
You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.
You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.

He's broken / breaking 4 of the 10 commandments  :o
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Zulu

I think some of Mickey's opinion pieces have been weak enough but I agree with a lot of that one, the handpass is unfairly derided and he is bang on to suggest that games of the past should be compared to the games of today for an accurate comparison to be made. In fact the Sunday Game could do worse than getting data for a number areas. e.g. points from 35 yrds+, frees, wides, time of ball in play etc. so that we might get some factual analysis rather than Spillane rabbitting on about some golden age of football.

SidelineKick

I have to say, although a little confused at a stage, I thoroughly enjoyed and support Mickey's suggestion a few weeks ago that league positions should determine who plays who in the championship.  Good incentive right to the end!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

talktothehand

he is right on the hand pass debate. anyone see that kerry teal throwing the ball into the net in the 1970s. now that reallywasn't gaelic football!!

Fuzzman

I hope Brolly is back in the chair this Sunday to continue questioning the Spillane rant.
Loved it 2 weeks ago when even O'Rourke agreed and said he was the best player ever & nobody can kick the ball any more.

Did any of ye notice last Sunday how Spillane tried to give Tyrone some credit for their style of football. Was wondering would he have admitted it in Brolly's presence?

I'd Joe can't wait for the Cork match and will latch onto anything Kerry do out of line. I hope he doesn't go over the top or be comparing everything to the Derry match.

A lot of Derry lads on here seem to have a fondness for Fr Harte.

rrhf

For anyone doubting the ruthless nature of Mickey Harte he answered today in fine style.  With a mere 1000 words he has rendered Pat Spillane obsolete.  Indeed it would be a shock to see his delicate features as an anal yst on RTE sport again.  By the way for all those who crow about the amount of handpassing in the modern game see Donegal 92.  A learned student of the game more statisticly inclined than myself actually took one of the videos of the  so called classic Dublin kerry games and compared it to Tyrone Armagh one of the 05 games.  To his own surprise there was a significantly higher number of handpasses in the older game - why cant one of these modern day experts simply do the same.   That basically means we have been listening to a pile of manure from Spillane since 2003,  for whatever his agenda is.  We have been Pat Spillanes herd of sheep for 6 years without challenging him.  I cant believe we took him so seriously. 

RMDrive

Quote from: rrhf on June 05, 2009, 03:29:09 PM
For anyone doubting the ruthless nature of Mickey Harte he answered today in fine style.  With a mere 1000 words he has rendered Pat Spillane obsolete.  Indeed it would be a shock to see his delicate features as an anal yst on RTE sport again.  By the way for all those who crow about the amount of handpassing in the modern game see Donegal 92.  A learned student of the game more statisticly inclined than myself actually took one of the videos of the  so called classic Dublin kerry games and compared it to Tyrone Armagh one of the 05 games.  To his own surprise there was a significantly higher number of handpasses in the older game - why cant one of these modern day experts simply do the same.   That basically means we have been listening to a pile of manure from Spillane since 2003, for whatever his agenda is. 

Not the best example in fairness.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: rrhf on June 05, 2009, 03:29:09 PM
For anyone doubting the ruthless nature of Mickey Harte he answered today in fine style.  With a mere 1000 words he has rendered Pat Spillane obsolete.  Indeed it would be a shock to see his delicate features as an anal yst on RTE sport again.  By the way for all those who crow about the amount of handpassing in the modern game see Donegal 92.  A learned student of the game more statisticly inclined than myself actually took one of the videos of the  so called classic Dublin kerry games and compared it to Tyrone Armagh one of the 05 games.  To his own surprise there was a significantly higher number of handpasses in the older game - why cant one of these modern day experts simply do the same.   That basically means we have been listening to a pile of manure from Spillane since 2003,  for whatever his agenda is.  We have been Pat Spillanes herd of sheep for 6 years without challenging him.  I cant believe we took him so seriously. 

It is obvious what his agenda is... partitionist .. those bloody northerners...

Fear ón Srath Bán

One of the most vivid footballing memories I have is of Pat 'PalmTheBall' Spillane, and his palmed goal in the '86 AI Final against Tyrone, which signalled the Kingdom's comeback. The sacrilege of it all!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Main Street

The great leader wrote

'While even they agree that it could not be scrapped altogether, they are encouraging a limit of one handpass and then an obligatory kick to follow. This would make for a much worse spectacle as players would be forced to use a kick pass when another handpass would be more appropriate.
We would then be exposed to players kicking the ball four and five metres to their team-mates simply because they received a handpass'.

I don't see that scenario happening because players would surely be allowed to fist the ball,
just like in the manly days.

ONeill

Mickey's spot on although we've been agreeing on this for a few years on here.

Apparently next week's article is something to do with horse balls and onions.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteDespite the fact that handpassing was rampant – indeed it was legitimate to handpass (throw) goals at that time –there was never any such adverse interpretations of this style proffered by the pundits or sports journalists of the day.

While the anti-handpassing proponents regularly furnish us with 'damning' statistics of the amount of handpasses versus kick passes in a modern day game of football, the 'Golden Years' are exempt from such scrutiny.

Perfect example to show why Harte (and most of you Nordies) are liars of the highest order. The amount of whinging about the handpass score at the time was unreal. Most of it coming from Ulster teams who kept getting their arses handed to them by Kerry and Dublin. It reached its highest pitch after the '79 semi-final.

The handpass goal was then banned. Now, I dont mind too much that the rule was changed but the fact that it was changed due to whinging by counties who were in the pub when Micko and the boys were running the dunes of banna strand was what made it such a disgraceful decision at the time. Basically, two teams were penalized for putting in the effort and excelling. Ulster just wanted to drag us down to their level instead of trying to improve.

And now, unfortunately, they have literally dragged Gaelic football down to their level with their shirt pulling, swarm defence and general loutishness. Thankfully our suberb discipline and positive play during the league indicates that JOC wants to ensure that at least one team will shine the beacon for Gaelic Football.