Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

And remind me who Kerry will play in the first round of the Munster Championship? Ah yes. That's right. They don't actually play anyone. They proceed straight to the semi-final. But if they lose that game they might lose in the first round of the Qualifiers. No. Not quite. If they lose that game they play in the second round of the Qualifiers.

Compare that experience with Tyrone. If they lose to Armagh, they will play in the first round of the Qualifiers. Included in that first round draw will be the losers of Derry/Monaghan and Meath/Dublin.

It's easy to be consistent when you're from Munster. And if you're not convinced, look no further than Cork. A good but limited side, during the past four years Cork have contested three All-Ireland semi-finals and one final. Could they produce such consistency if they were starting their campaign in Ulster every year?

Hear, hear! What a rock of solid sense Paddy Heaney is  ;D

And Shane from, erm, Glenavy, haven't I seen that style somewhere before, and not a million miles away?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zulu

Quote from: muppet on May 14, 2009, 02:39:03 PM
This is one stupid argument.

Kerry were in the 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008 AI Finals winning in 2004, 2006 & 2007. If you arrived from Mars and knew nothing about anything you could see that there is, at the very least, a reasonable argument for making them favourites.

There is obviously a reasonable case for calling a team that was in the 2003, 2005 & 2008 finals (winning all of them) favourites too.

This argument is not about Kerry people being upset that some people see Tyrone as favourites. The problem seems to be with some people who seem to see it as a slight at best or a conspiracy at worst, that others make Kerry favourites. Wise up.  ::)

I agree Muppet, this notion that 'southerners' or the 'southern press' don't give Tyrone the credit they deserve is bizzare IMO. I would safely say that all the Ulster All Ireland winning teams were universally popular winners, now Tyrone have since added a second and third so naturally neutrals would prefer a different winner but everybody that I know has given Tyrone and the other recent Ulster winners the credit they undoubtedly deserve. I find it funny that almost to a man Ulster folk dismiss Munster as a cake walk while making out Ulster to a complete minefield, when in fact neither is true. In the prediction thread some lads have gone for Down to win Ulster yet Tipperary beat Down only a few weeks ago so that must mean if Tipp would have a decent chance of winning Ulster if they were up there this year. While I agree some southern media pundits would be well served giving more credit to Ulster teams a number of Ulster scribes could do worse than give the rest of us a bit of credit too.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Zulu on May 14, 2009, 08:35:15 PM
I agree Muppet, this notion that 'southerners' or the 'southern press' don't give Tyrone the credit they deserve is bizzare IMO. I would safely say that all the Ulster All Ireland winning teams were universally popular winners, now Tyrone have since added a second and third so naturally neutrals would prefer a different winner but everybody that I know has given Tyrone and the other recent Ulster winners the credit they undoubtedly deserve. I find it funny that almost to a man Ulster folk dismiss Munster as a cake walk while making out Ulster to a complete minefield, when in fact neither is true. In the prediction thread some lads have gone for Down to win Ulster yet Tipperary beat Down only a few weeks ago so that must mean if Tipp would have a decent chance of winning Ulster if they were up there this year. While I agree some southern media pundits would be well served giving more credit to Ulster teams a number of Ulster scribes could do worse than give the rest of us a bit of credit too.

Well said. I've never heard any or read any of the 'southern meeejia' running down Tyrone's achievements or their footballing abililty since 2003. Some pundits and journalists may have questioned their style or their tactics on occasion but usually this isn't done without some justification. I think everyone is in agreement that they're a damn good team though.

Why Mr Heaney feels the need to run down the Munster Championship, I don't know. I certainly wouldn't describe Cork as "a good but limited side". They looked far from limited against Monaghan a few weeks ago and are genuine All-Ireland contenders. I personally think that if Kerry had been in either the Leinster, Ulster or Connacht Championships for the past century the honour roll wouldn't look all that different to the way it is now. Maybe that's just me being blinkered by the 'southern meejia' and their indulgence of Kerry though.  ::)
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Puckoon

that could only be our very own shane..

Tyrones own

Quotelets face it, Tyrone dont have the guts to take up the mantle of favourites anyway. Anytime they are mentioned as favourites they come with the poor mouth i.e injuries, retirements blah,blah basically getting their excuses in early.

As opposed to your good self suddenly coming out 6, 4 and 1 year later respectively to say we cheated
ye out of 3 AI's  :D...and cop yourself on a bit in mentioning Guts, 3 to zip on the big stage tells it's own story ;D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

ONeill

Heaney changed bits of that. I said baldy, not bald.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mike Sheehy

The truth is Tyrone arent that interesting. Journalist tend to write about people and teams that people are interested in. So, the southern media write articles making Kerry favourites and the northern media lambast us. At the end of the day they are writing more about kerry than Tyrone and thats what sticks in Tyrone craws more than anything else.

Whats interesting is their need to attack kerry just because people make Kerry favourites.  What a bizarre bunch these Tymoanies are...

saffron sam2

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 14, 2009, 01:23:30 PM
Well said Shane from Glenavy.

That's Brolly, Tohill and now Heaney all converted.

Who's up next?

It would appear that Shane from Glenavy is up next.

From IN 14/12/2006

And now to 'Shane from Glenavy', who is a little miffed that the annual tear-up with our Antipodean cousins is to be shelved for a year.

"I read with great disgust the hypocritical decision by the GAA to end its association with the International Rules series because of the rowing in the Second Test this year and previous events in other series. I ask, when did the GAA earn the right to take the moral highground? When Tyrone and Dublin were beating away at each other, did the GAA think to end the National League? When a Meath team were tramping all over Dinky McBride and wee Peter, did the GAA seek to end the All-Ireland series? No, they gave Mr Boylan the manager's job in the International Rules. What must be borne in mind also is that Australian manager, Kevin Sheedy, stated clearly that he developed his tactics from having watched several Tyrone matches. In other words, he adopted Gaelic football tactics, yet is now being punished for this.

"If this whole sorry saga tells one anything, it is that the GAA needs to take a good long, hard look at itself and the thuggery that is evident at all levels within the game.

"What we saw in Croke Park in the Second Test was nothing to what we saw earlier and later in the year at grounds all over Ireland. Now is the time to act.

"In addition, the sorry demise of the series means that I will not be able to see the cream of Gaelic footballers represent their country at the new national stadium at the Maze."
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

rrhf

O Neill  are you the next Tony Fearon?  Right speaking of good writers - can anyone pin up this weeks offering from the bearded wonder?

saffron sam2

Always happy to help.

Assuming you mean Harte, rather than Heaney, here goes.

QuoteLast Sunday the GAA set aside all other interests in favour of the club unit to celebrate a special day – La na gClub.

While it has often been claimed that the club is the rock upon which the Association is built, never before has there been such a tangible demonstration of that truth as we witnessed last Sunday.

The fact that Sunday May 10 2009 was exempt from all competitive fixtures throughout the island was, in itself, a unique achievement.

I hazard a guess that never before in the 125-year history of the GAA was there a May Sunday where no-one was competing in an official gaelic games programme at some level.

The uniqueness of the GAA was further epitomised by virtue of the 'free hand' every club was afforded to celebrate in their own way. Local volunteers were only limited by their imagination.

While many innovative presentations took place across the country, the key connector was the sense of community that prevailed.

My first experience of the day was at the Holy Cross Church in Ardoyne where Adrian Logan, his wife Monica and myself were guests of Fr Gary Donegan and the Kickham's club.

It was a real privilege for us country people to see that the GAA is equally special in large urban areas. Club members paraded from the club house to the Church.

The celebration of the Mass was enhanced by the contributions of the talented folk group assisted by an elegant team of Irish dancers, with Fr Gary's 10-year-old niece Carisa performing solo on the harp.

During the Mass, Adrian and myself, along with club president Jimmy Fennell and chairman Alex Traynor, had the unique privilege of presenting specially commissioned vestments to Fr Gary.

With the assistance of Kieran Kennedy and O'Neills Sportswear (in what is undoubtedly another first for the company) the garment, adorned with the Passionates' emblem and the Kickham's crest on the front and a dedication to all deceased club members on the back, further endorsed the integral nature of club and parish community.

Back home at 3.30pm in the afternoon, in glorious sunshine, an open air Mass was celebrated in MacRory Park, Dunmoyle. It was a special day for our club Errigal Ciaran as we had the unique distinction of having the Ard Stiurthoir present at our celebrations. Paraic Duffy spoke eloquently about the value of a vibrant club to parish life.

The director general graciously fulfilled the dual role of presenting medals to the Golden Jubilee Junior County champions of 1959 and officially opening the recently completed changing and viewing facilities.

Unfortunately, some of the 'men of '59' are no longer with us, but their next of kin were very proud to receive the medals on their behalf.

Club chairman Tommy Traynor noted it was exactly 50 years to the day that the juniors played their first match in that successful campaign.

The scene on our home soil offered a microcosm of the evolution of Irish life through the GAA. Grandparents, parents and children shared the stand as we attended Mass concelebrated by Fr Seery and Fr Hackett. The GAA has truly become a family affair.

The phenomenal development of ladies football is giving us levels of participation we could only have dreamed of in the past.

Club colours have become fashion items, ranging from the team jersey to tracksuits, polo shirts, hoodies and rain gear, all adorned with the club crest.

Seeing the hoardings around the pitch bearing the names of local businesses who help finance the day-to-day running of the club, the training pitch with floodlights and the aforementioned changing rooms, it was difficult not to reminisce.

The team of '59 would have changed in the original building consisting of whitewashed walls, a tin roof, two small windows and a wooden partition separating the 'home' and 'away' changing rooms.

Wooden benches (or 'forms' as they were often called in those days) provided the seating with hooks nailed to a wooden lath for hanging your clothes. The club jerseys had neither emblems nor sponsors.

There was no running water, no heating and definitely no tea-making facilities. Yet there was pride.

None more so than within the groundsman, the late Frank McKenna. His was a labour of love. Virtually single-handedly, he attended to the facilities, lined out the pitch, put out the flags and erected the nets.

He provided a bucket of spring water for refreshments. In all kinds of weather, he might spend from 11.30am to 6pm ensuring the building and field were fit for purpose. Volunteerism personified.

His son Tom, working in London for over three decades, travelled home to re-connect with the spirit of his dad. Frank's grandson, Kevin Conroy, co-ordinated the liturgy of the Mass with the same meticulous attention that his late grandfather afforded the grounds.

In addition to the in-house games, there was entertainment for the young folk, while the adults were treated to a sit down meal in the new facilities.

In excess of 230 people were accommodated by yet more volunteers, under the expert guidance of Anne Marie Kelly of Kellys Inn, the chief sponsor.

Unfortunately, many club stalwarts too numerous to mention  are no longer with us, but the solid foundations which they laid are the rock upon which the GAA will enjoy its next 125 years.

Ar dheis De go raibh a n-anam.

I would like to clarify that Coalisland's Jonathan Curran is a very important and valued member of the Tyrone senior panel.

It was reported, in error, earlier this week that he was left off the championship squad. I have already assured Jonathan privately that this was not accurate and now I wish to publicly repeat that assurance.

I would have liked him to compare his club's celebrations of the 125th anniversary with how they celebrated the centenary.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

under the bar

QuoteBack home at 3.30pm in the afternoon, in glorious sunshine, an open air Mass was celebrated in MacRory Park, Dunmoyle. It was a special day for our club Errigal Ciaran as we had the unique distinction of having the Ard Stiurthoir present at our celebrations. Paraic Duffy spoke eloquently about the value of a vibrant club to parish life.

Wait till Gregory Campbell gets hold of this and uses it as an excuse to with-hold grants!

The GAA

Mickey Harte's parish bulletin every friday in the Irish News

JohnDenver

QuoteLast Sunday the GAA set aside all other interests in favour of the club unit to celebrate a special day – La na gClub.

While it has often been claimed that the club is the rock upon which the Association is built, never before has there been such a tangible demonstration of that truth as we witnessed last Sunday.

The fact that Sunday May 10 2009 was exempt from all competitive fixtures throughout the island was, in itself, a unique achievement.

I hazard a guess that never before in the 125-year history of the GAA was there a May Sunday where no-one was competing in an official gaelic games programme at some level.

Try telling the Derry County board that.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 14, 2009, 07:46:04 PM
lets face it, Tyrone dont have the guts to take up the mantle of favourites anyway. Anytime they are mentioned as favourites they come with the poor mouth i.e injuries, retirements blah,blah basically getting their excuses in early.

Kerry have the extra burden of high expectation that accompanies true champions. They dont have the luxury of taking a year off here and there to recharge the batteries. Things like that are anathema to us.

apart from 1987 to 1996... 98-99-01 to 03 05 08... ho hum   ::)  This Kerry need to beat an Ulster team in the final to prove they have the bottle...

muppet

Quotewe attended Mass concelebrated by Fr Seery and Fr Hackett.

I always wondered where he ended up.
MWWSI 2017