Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: tyssam5 on May 12, 2009, 07:08:09 PM
"If a horse beat another horse on three successive occasions, the losing horse is never the favourite for the fourth race. Yet this is precisely what happens with Kerry."

What Paddy didn't mention is that the two horses aren't starting at the same line, every year Kerry enjoy a nice little head start which has something to do with the odds. Though in fairness Kerry are a more consistent team than Tyrone, they do not lose (at least get knocked out) to poorer teams than them and Tyrone have been guilty of this charge. But when Tyrone are playing their best game they have proven themselves to be a better team; the 'consistent' Kingdom men just don't have that extra 10-20% to bring them to our level of excellence.

The 'consistent' tag for Kerry could also be filtered through the lens of the skewed provincial system, but it might be churlish to so. Cork and even Monaghan have given them tricky games, if they had 2-3 more of these tricky games to play every year then their consistency might not be so evident. But given that they have been in a least a semi final since 2002, it is only fair to give them the most 'consistent team in Ireland' accolade.

BTW the cute hoors in Kerry have nothing to teach Heaney, setting up Tyrone like that! His comments must be viewed in light of his excellent article a few year ago about 'country double-talk'.
No foolin' you Tieyerown bies anyway
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

red hander

See how all the talk about 'team of the decade' spouted by the likes of that tube Breheny in the Indo disappeared like snow off a ditch when Tyrone instead of their beloved Kerry actually won the AI last year... I see Breheny's Indo colleague Eugene McGee actually tipped Tyrone to win this year too (then again he, unlike his 'expert' journo pal, actually knows what it takes to win Sam)

Mike Sheehy

QuoteThe painful truth is that the admiration and respect that Ulster gaels have extended towards Kerry has never been reciprocated.

Perhaps years of listening to ye trying to discredit the AI we have won might have something to do with it (along with the puke football of course).

This "admiration" is also a myth. We have always known there is a deep-seated resentment and out and out antagonism  that comes out whenever you have had the odd period of success. From Cavan in the 40's to Joe lennon in the sixties, to every gobshite in Armagh and Tyrone in the noughties there is a long tradition of Nordie Kerry bashing when ye win so spare us the injured innocence routine.

tyssam5

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 12, 2009, 08:51:41 PM
QuoteThe painful truth is that the admiration and respect that Ulster gaels have extended towards Kerry has never been reciprocated.

Perhaps years of listening to ye trying to discredit the AI we have won might have something to do with it (along with the puke football of course).

This "admiration" is also a myth. We have always known there is a deep-seated resentment and out and out antagonism  that comes out whenever you have had the odd period of success. From Cavan in the 40's to Joe lennon in the sixties, to every gobshite in Armagh and Tyrone in the noughties there is a long tradition of Nordie Kerry bashing when ye win so spare us the injured innocence routine.

I think you need to get your 'facts' into chronological order there Mike. There was no one in the country trying to discredit Kerry's AIs pre 2003. It was only after the outrageously arrogant and concerted attempts by some Kerry people to diminish the AIs won by Tyrone and Armagh that Kerry's subsequent AI's were deemed 'soft' by some.

You reap what you sow.

ONeill

Heaney's some balax. Before each of the finals he has comfortably predicted a Kerry win. Now, he tries a new line of attack and gives Kerry fodder to raise their game to our standard.

Tyrone at their best have better footballers man-for-man than the current Kerry set up. Two footed, all can attack and defend at the highest level, all can score (bar Hub) and rarely to they commit any handling or possession errors at the business end of a season if they get there. The Kingdom haven't got within a goal of Tyrone over three meetings.

But that's laughed at by the brainwashed public who think Kerry footballers stepped out of a book with their tanned legs and frowns.

In saying that, Kerry are due to give us an unmerciful slapping in the SFC soon. Derry did it in '97 after the '95 and '96 games.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gaffer

Even if Kerry did give us  a bit o' a beating in 2009,   don't be fooled into thinking that they have finally got revenge on us and are now the undisputed kings.

03, 05  and 08 will always be there and it ll take alot more from Kerry before they can say that they have the upperhand on Tyrone.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

rrhf

The best team - Tyrone
Team of the decade - a lazy plaudit that no one has reallty defined how to measure yet.
My understanding was that Down were the team of the decade in the 90s but did Meath not win 2 all irelands as well so its down to who were the most impressive team and defined footballs top tier best during that decade.
90 Cork
91 Down
92 Donegal
93 Derry
94 Down
95 Dublin
96 Meath
97 Kerry
98 Galway
99 Meath
when you look at that and realise that its 10 years since Eastern bloc success you have to come to the conclusion that the Celtic tiger wrecked the Leinster gah toffs. 

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 12, 2009, 08:51:41 PM

This "admiration" is also a myth. We have always known there is a deep-seated resentment and out and out antagonism  that comes out whenever you have had the odd period of success. From Cavan in the 40's to Joe lennon in the sixties, to every gobshite in Armagh and Tyrone in the noughties there is a long tradition of Nordie Kerry bashing when ye win so spare us the injured innocence routine.

When the great Kerry team of the 70s and 80s were on the go they were admired in the North. Indeed in Mick O'Dwyer's first book he spoke of how many went down to Kerry during the summer and watched Kerry train and visited local pubs. He said in the book, 'especially people from Tyrone.' (Shouldn't be hard to find it in the book). Was an antagonism in the North towards the Dubs that time. Then after 2002 the real begrudging Kerry showed their face starting with Spillane then Sean Walsh, Jack O'Connor... was all very partitionist. Such bitterness when they lost to those pesky Northerners. It lost Kerry a lot of respect here.     

rionach 4

It amazes me as to why the southern press seemed aghast at Tyrone dominating Kerry in this decade. When did a Kerry team last beat a Tyrone team at any level(and yes I know the semi final of the hogan cup this year) over this last 12 years in championship football. In all the games they have meet at all levels Tyrone have dominated. The minor replay of 97 in Parnell park. The all-Ireland minor in 2004. The Omagh Cbs Hogan cup team 2007, The dungannon Academy 2008 hogan cup team. Tyrone have no fear of Kerry and why should they with these statistics. Kerry may have won the odd one but overall Tyrone have dominated Kerry at all levels  Being from Armagh myself I would hope some of the Tyrone men on here would have the exact statistics.

SidelineKick

Quote from: rionach 4 on May 13, 2009, 12:42:11 PM
It amazes me as to why the southern press seemed aghast at Tyrone dominating Kerry in this decade. When did a Kerry team last beat a Tyrone team at any level(and yes I know the semi final of the hogan cup this year) over this last 12 years in championship football. In all the games they have meet at all levels Tyrone have dominated. The minor replay of 97 in Parnell park. The all-Ireland minor in 2004. The Omagh Cbs Hogan cup team 2007, The dungannon Academy 2008 hogan cup team. Tyrone have no fear of Kerry and why should they with these statistics. Kerry may have won the odd one but overall Tyrone have dominated Kerry at all levels  Being from Armagh myself I would hope some of the Tyrone men on here would have the exact statistics.

Which as everyone knows is when championship football was invented  ::)
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: SidelineKick on May 13, 2009, 12:45:25 PM
It amazes me as to why the southern press seemed aghast at Tyrone dominating Kerry in this decade. When did a Kerry team last beat a Tyrone team at any level(and yes I know the semi final of the hogan cup this year) over this last 12 years in championship football. In all the games they have meet at all levels Tyrone have dominated. The minor replay of 97 in Parnell park. The all-Ireland minor in 2004. The Omagh Cbs Hogan cup team 2007, The dungannon Academy 2008 hogan cup team. Tyrone have no fear of Kerry and why should they with these statistics. Kerry may have won the odd one but overall Tyrone have dominated Kerry at all levels  Being from Armagh myself I would hope some of the Tyrone men on here would have the exact statistics.

Yeah-the Kerry begrudgers always go back to the last century. Morning of 2005 All Ireland final a Kerry 'man' threw a list of All Ireland roll of honour through my car window as I drove along the Drumcondra Road. Unfortunatly I couldn't find him at 5pm to shove it up his hole.

SidelineKick

I think you will find 12 years ago was in the last century.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: SidelineKick on May 13, 2009, 12:45:25 PM

It would seem you didnt read the post properly SidelineKick, the reference to the last 12 years was qualified previously by rionach saying "this decade".

::) ;D

rionach 4

thank you   Lamh Dhearg alba.. Tyrone are not intimidated anymore by the sight of the green and gold jersey. They had belief in themselves and this was brought about by results over this past number of years. No insult is intended to Kerry.

longrunsthefox

Kerry take losing as an insult as if they have some devine right to All Irelands. When Sean Kelly gave the Sam Maguire Cup to Brian Dooher in 2005, he said, "Let there be no begrudgery this year." That was aimed at his fellow county men.