Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Trevor Giles and Michael Donnellan would have been unlucky in the half forward line. Never saw larry tompkins play

orangeman

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 28, 2013, 08:58:49 PM
Trevor Giles and Michael Donnellan would have been unlucky in the half forward line. Never saw larry tompkins play

But for Thompkins, there's a good chance Cork wouldn't have won those 2 in late 80s.

He was some player.

From the Bunker

25 years is too long a period to look at a group of players. A decade is the most at best. Even then there are players just starting out on their career at the end of the decade or finishing at the beginning.

naka

Have to say barry breen was as good a player as I saw
And I am an Armagh man
And to not have Moynihan or Joyce is a travesty

Syferus

It's a disgrace he didn't pick Cake.

Mike Sheehy

How can anyone leave Seamus Moynihan out of his best team of the last 25 years ? Its simply impossible !!................Mickey Harte.....is  he completely clueless or does he just hate Kerry ?

From the Bunker

Quote from: orangeman on December 28, 2013, 09:18:33 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on December 28, 2013, 08:58:49 PM

But for Thompkins, there's a good chance Cork wouldn't have won those 2 in late 80s.

He was some player.

They would not have, no doubt! (Along with Shay Fahy) He was Kildares  Loss!

BennyCake

Quote from: theticklemister on December 28, 2013, 07:27:18 PM
Paul McGrane was nowhere near the player PJ McGrane was.

Absolutely right. And Benny Counter was twice the player Benny Coulter is (see Page 71 of today's Irish News)  ;D

lenny

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 28, 2013, 08:50:54 PM
Anyway looked at the team. Not too bad but think you have to get Seamus Moynihan in there somehow. Also not sure about the Larry Tompkins selection. Think better players than Larry overlooked there. Might have felt Cork deserved a pick for their late 80's team.

What about the Down team of the early 90s. Won 2 all irelands, only one less than tyrone who have 3 players selected. Blaney should certainly be selected, he's arguably the best number 11 ever. Moynihan and Tohill are the other 2 I would include. Moynihan is a better all round player than mcgeeney and also Tohill is a much better midfielder than cavanagh. Having said that Cavanagh could probably make the team as a half forward.

theticklemister

Dont know how everyone has overlooked Henry Downey.

Best player i ever seen play and a personal hero of mine.

EC Unique

Quote from: theticklemister on January 01, 2014, 04:57:32 PM

Great player but not even the best on the 93 Derry team.

screenexile

Quote from: EC Unique on January 03, 2014, 12:58:39 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on January 01, 2014, 04:57:32 PM

Great player but not even the best on the 93 Derry team.

I agree.

See Harte's whinging in the Irish News again . . . dear lord someone give him the boot he offers nothing new or interesting at all!! If Tyronies want to hear another one of his rants against Universities/New Rules/Compromise Rules they should give him a regular feature in Teamtalk rather than polluting a paper that normally serves the rest of us quite well!!

5 Sams

I'm surprised there was no feed back on his "best" team of the last 25 years in Off the Fence yesterday. God forbid the IN would be censoring criticism of one of their columnists!!
The Aristocrat Years

nrico2006

I don't know which is worse, Hartes column or Jarlath Burns'.  At least I don't buy the Gaelic Life.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.