Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: bennydorano on December 27, 2013, 04:27:29 PM
Not even a mention of McGrane in MF. Found that a strange one.

His column is still consistently rubbish, for such a great manager he's got little insight to offer & the column is normally filler that any dungballer could type up in half an hour.

FFS - Paul McGrane wouldn't make the top 10 midfielders of the last 25 years

thewobbler

Quote from: bennydorano on December 27, 2013, 04:27:29 PM
Not even a mention of McGrane in MF. Found that a strange one.

His column is still consistently rubbish, for such a great manager he's got little insight to offer & the column is normally filler that any dungballer could type up in half an hour.

It's interesting that anyone would rate McGrane that highly. Fine footballer he was, but seeing as Harte is covering the past 35 years in his selection, this is an all time greats list. Unless you're his wife or his agent, McGrane isn't an all time great.

It's actually a bloody good team. Biggest omission is Cluxton, an undeniable all time great. I wouldn't have Tompkins in the team ahead of any of the 'sub' forwards either, but at this point I'm nitpicking.

lenny

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 27, 2013, 05:56:51 PM
Out of all the -players not on the starting 15, Moynihan is by far the biggest ommission, probably the best all round defender of all them and i have him well ahead of McGeeney, I Still have Donnellan in there, just 1 Galway man and 1Dub on it, Even though they have more all-irelands and played on better teams than the 2 selected, Anthony Tohill the best midfielder of the past 20 odd yrs and thats by a fair margin, outside of that, its a fair decent team, though again Clunton probably better than O`Leary too,

I agree about Moynihan. He would definitely be in my team ahead of McGeeny. Donnellan would be a worthy choice also probably just ahead of dooher. Also I don't know how Greg blaney was left out. Definitely the best number 11 in the last 25 years.

ONeill

Ach it is all a bit of crack. The is no correct selection. We could all come up with our own and no two would match.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Line Ball

This is a man who proclaims to know football and absolutely loves driving his opinions down peoples throats.

To leave three of the most influential players of all time out of his farcical team is nonsensical:

Mick Lyons

Jack O'Shea

Greg Blaney

Catch a grip Mickey, you tube.

BennyCake

I'd have Stevie ahead of Joyce, and Blaney ahead of Tompkins. Blaneys ability to feed his forwards was fantastic. An unbelievable playmaker. Won a lot of breaking ball too.

Wildweasel74

well if u looking stevie in u got to compare him to the man in his position and thats colin cooper, I would say Joyce is a better full forward than McDonnell

Gabriel_Hurl

Mickey still winding the apple munchers  up

From the Bunker

Have not seen the list but I suppose the following were not good enough.Declan Browne, Kevin O'Brien, Ciaran McManus, Matty forde, Eamon O'Hara, Johnny Doyle, Ciaran McDonald, Glenn Ryan, Martin Daly, Colin Corkery, Dermott Earley (jnr). In reality you are not a truly a great player without the Celtic Cross?

bennydorano

IIRC (& i wouldn't put the house on it) Mickey Harte was once hypothetically asked in a Gaa transfer market who would he take, Paul McGrane was one of his picks. Not that's it's any big deal - i thought he was worth a mention in the MF mix.

I'm on record numerous times here stating my admiration for mcGrane, i make no bones about it, IMO he is Armagh's greatest ever player. Some people have short memories, he was every bit as important & integral to Armagh's success as McGeeney.

GalwayBayBoy

Anyone from west of the Shannon on Mickey's team or is it a Ulster/Kerry selection box?

rodney trotter

The team is listed on page 54 of this thread

theticklemister

Paul McGrane was nowhere near the player PJ McGrane was.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 28, 2013, 06:15:55 PM
Anyone from west of the Shannon on Mickey's team or is it a Ulster/Kerry selection box?

Ulster teams are obsessed with two things beating the hell outta each other and beating Kerry. And in Fairness they succeed in doing both nearly all of the time!

GalwayBayBoy

Anyway looked at the team. Not too bad but think you have to get Seamus Moynihan in there somehow. Also not sure about the Larry Tompkins selection. Think better players than Larry overlooked there. Might have felt Cork deserved a pick for their late 80's team.