Any sugestions? Teachers?

Started by Zapatista, January 31, 2009, 10:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Since this is now an "ask Deidre" forum I was wondering if any of you could help me.

A Finnish friend of mine is bringing a class of teenagers to Dublin for a weekend. He was asking my advise on the best places for teenagers to visit while here. So in turn I am asking you. Can you recommend anywhere?

Here are some of the places the kids found themselves. They wouldn't have time to get round all these places in detail so the list will have to be chopped.

Dublin castle
Kilmainham Gaol-jail
Trinity College
Christ church cathedral
Guinness storehouse
Natural history museum
Dublin zoo
Malahide castle
St Stephen´s Green shopping centre
Temple Bar street
Black Rock Market

I added Croke Park obviously.

Zapatista

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 31, 2009, 01:05:21 PM
From the Christ Church cathedral take the Duck tour which runs into the dock area.

Cheers, any more info on it?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 31, 2009, 01:05:21 PM
From the Christ Church cathedral take the Duck tour which runs into the dock area.
Easy known it's been a while since you were a teenager  ;)

Carryout in the back of the bus zapatista.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Dougal Maguire

Wife took a group of first years (12 year olds) to the National Aquatic Centre. She would highly recommend it
Careful now

Gnevin

Dublin bus do a hop on hop off tour which covers most of the things you listed above. I would also suggest doing the Ghost bus tour and early evening about temple bar for some music.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Zapatista

Cheers. I will pass that on. Is the ghost tour just light entertainment? Is it any good? If so I'd say they'd like that.

mylestheslasher

Jamesons distillery. Mind you it was the whiskey tasting I liked the best.

the scenic route

Quote from: Zapatista on January 31, 2009, 10:25:23 AM
Since this is now an "ask Deidre" forum I was wondering if any of you could help me.

I think the one you were looking for there was "Dear Deidre"

"Underneath that thin veneer of human civilisation, we're all just a bunch of fu*king animals"

Denn Forever

I imagine the teenagers may gravitate towards Dr. Quirkies, an amusement arcade on O'Connell street (If it is still there).

In the evening depending on whether they are northside or southside, The Stillorgan Bowl or the Leisure Plex in Blanchardstown.  If you rang up beforehand, they may give better attention.

And much as we'd like it not to be so, remember to remind him that people should look  after their valuables.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Gnevin

Quote from: Zapatista on February 02, 2009, 04:13:14 PM
Cheers. I will pass that on. Is the ghost tour just light entertainment? Is it any good? If so I'd say they'd like that.

Yeah its not really scary but its fun light entertainment as you say while being historical too. Shows Dublin in a different light than you normally see. I can be quite popular so I'd suggest they book early the day before they want to go and of course the darker it is the better as it adds the the atmosphere.  I did it a good while ago and really enjoyed it .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Lar Naparka

I suppose, Zap, that it all depends on the time of year in that is in question.
There are many places to visit alright but you'd need to keep the weather in mind when drawing up the itinerary.
I mean a visit to the zoo and to the Phoenix Park in general is a good way for kids to let off steam but would hardly be the ideal trip to take in weather like this.
If it is intended to go into the city centre, the DART and LUAS services should be kept in mind.
On a fine day, a trip on the Dart to Howth is suitable for people of all ages. There is a picturesque fishing port and a lovely beach nearby. Plenty of shops and cafes/restaurants also and a bit of hill walking might be considered; the view from the hill above Howth village is breathtaking and you needn't climb too far see what I mean.
Even at this time of year, Howth, is a popular location for visitors. The beach wouldn't be an attraction at present but there are still lots of things to do.
Both the Dart and Luas trains can be boarded at Amiens Street (Connolly St.) station Between them, they can provide the person in charge with a wide variety of venues and options.
For instance, Blackrock market is quite easy to access by the Dart. The Square SC in Tallaght is probably the biggest and busiest shopping centre in Dublin and the Luas terminus is located at the edge of it.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

milltown row

the viking tour, and the bus that goes in the water