The Southern "Irish"

Started by rrhf, January 30, 2009, 05:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

To be honest I think his post is an attempt to discredit me, and even removing it now will imply something insidious regarding my family.
Id like to know what he is trying to say about my family.

The views I express here are the views I grew up being taught by my parents, who are very much not sectarian in anyway.

If he has something to say about my family let me know, because I dont know what he is on about.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: heganboy on February 11, 2009, 05:55:52 PM
Lynchboy

please remove the references to another posters family or get reported and banned.

I appreciate that this is for you a very emotive subject but cut the crap.
correct haganboy , prob shouldnt have posted info like that in view of the general public.
taken these off now.

nifan

taken them off, but not rescinded.

best i could expect i suppose

Puckoon

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 11, 2009, 05:35:28 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on February 11, 2009, 05:32:09 PM
If Republicans never targeted Protestants because of their religion, how do you explain this eyewitness account by Alan Black, the only Protestant survivor of Kingsmill, in the Newsletter?

In case you've forgotten, you may look them up here[/i] - http://www.cain.ulst.ac.uk/  

Jeez if we are quoting the cain research again , then your argument really is in the sihtehouse !

keep quoting a few isolated incidents , really threatens the overall principle - esp when it spanned 35years and more !
:D

I for one would love to read your justification of a comment such as "republicanism never targetted protestants because of religion" without a bundle of nonsense ended and started with a smiley face.

Either republicans frequently did target protestant communities, or, the republican leadership had an army which did not follow orders and frequently attacked protestants against the very "ethos" which you are suggesting?

Main Street

Of course we all know that the British Army and the different guises of the local militia followed orders to the letter.

I wonder why only nationalists were interned in 1971? a minor discrepency?

Puckoon

Quote from: Main Street on February 11, 2009, 06:55:54 PM
Of course we all know that the British Army and the different guises of the local militia followed orders to the letter.

No doubt they didnt. What does that have to do with Lynchbhoys assertion?

Does that make his assertion justifiable? Or is it still a huge mistruth?

For the context of this discussion I dont care what exactly the British armies, the loyalists or the republican movement did - there comes a time when the continued attempts by people from all sides to justify the unjustifiable becomes laughable at best.

ardmhachaabu

Kingsmill happened because of the numbers of Catholics who were being targeted because of their religion.  It was like saying 'If youse can do it, so can we' - as a sidenote, sectarian killings by Loyalists in South Armagh stopped as a direct result.

Darkley happened because someone got access to guns and went and shot up the nearest place where they knew 100% that Protestants would be in attendance.  The person responsible for it had a family member killed a short time previously by Loyalists.

I am not excusing either event but rather providing something of a background to the whys of both incidents.  I think all killings were absolutely deplorable.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Maguire01

I don't see anyone denying that Main Street.

But the credibility of an argument against the 'other side' is seriously undermined if you don't acknowledge (or you deny) that aspects of the 'republican war' were far removed from the ethos of the republican cause.

Maguire01

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 11, 2009, 07:04:30 PM
Kingsmill happened because of the numbers of Catholics who were being targeted because of their religion.  It was like saying 'If youse can do it, so can we' - as a sidenote, sectarian killings by Loyalists in South Armagh stopped as a direct result.

Darkley happened because someone got access to guns and went and shot up the nearest place where they knew 100% that Protestants would be in attendance.  The person responsible for it had a family member killed a short time previously by Loyalists.

I am not excusing either event but rather providing something of a background to the whys of both incidents.  I think all killings were absolutely deplorable.
Yes, so regardless of justifications for the killings, or the background of the perpetrators, those people were shot because of their religion.

Puckoon

You're absolutely right of course. It did stop further sectarian violence in South Armagh at that time. I read that it was also sanctioned according to the Toby Hardnen book by the republican leadership in the area. I cant recall the direct quote.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 11, 2009, 07:06:59 PM

Yes, so regardless of justifications for the killings, or the background of the perpetrators, those people were shot because of their religion.
I would say so.

I will add that I don't think that this was a deliberate policy by any of the armed groups involved.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Puckoon on February 11, 2009, 07:08:55 PM

You're absolutely right of course. It did stop further sectarian violence in South Armagh at that time. I read that it was also sanctioned according to the Toby Hardnen book by the republican leadership in the area. I cant recall the direct quote.
You could well be right.  I wouldn't rule it out.

Maguire01

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 11, 2009, 07:23:13 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 11, 2009, 07:08:55 PM

You could well be right.  I wouldn't rule it out.
I know somebody who probably would.  ::)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Puckoon on February 11, 2009, 07:03:35 PM

No doubt they didnt. What does that have to do with Lynchbhoys assertion?

Does that make his assertion justifiable? Or is it still a huge mistruth?

For the context of this discussion I dont care what exactly the British armies, the loyalists or the republican movement did - there comes a time when the continued attempts by people from all sides to justify the unjustifiable becomes laughable at best.
we are not talking about justification we are talking about the ideology of the republicanmovement.
Never was it a strategy/motive/ethos/mantra etc call it what you will , to kill people purely because of religion.
End of

god help you if smiley faces put you off !

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 11, 2009, 07:06:59 PM

and this single incident means what exactly in the context of 35 years plus and countless incidents to the overall ethos/strategy etc of republicans?